The Storm D initiative- what are your thoughts?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

maybe a cheer squad could be formed ala afl and get together with the club to get them to help with getting chants
put on the big screen. I am sure they would happilly help.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ball up the other end of the ground, watching the game on the big screen for a clearer picture than what my eye sight could see at that distance and on the screen up pops a fullscreen graphic "Storm D"?????

WTF? I want to see the game!

And the ground announcer when announcing Storm D! I deadset reckon he's stupid voice caused a fumble or two as he yelled over the PA system. At least we don't have Andy Lew or the old fart that couldn't get players names, team names, dates and other facts right.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Surandy wrote:At least we don't have Andy Lew or the old fart that couldn't get players names, team names, dates and other facts right.
What was the name of that old fart you mentioned who used to announce at Olympic Park circa 2002-03??? I forgot all about him but he was so annoying on the loudspeaker when the games were being played.

I wasn't a fan of 'Storm D Time', why does rugby league have to become so Americanized with ground announcers. Next we'll be saying dee-fence instead of defence and scoring touchdowns in the endzone. Enough is enough. Fans want to watch the players, not listen to ground announcers.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Speaking of people who couldn`t get the player`s names right what was the go with the 2 new announcers last night. The female stuffed up GI`s name when she was talking to Bellamy and is there any particular reason that we need someone from NSW as our ground announcer? I dont really care that he has been with Newcastle and wherever else he was at. We`ve managed quite well so far with a local so why do we need one now? It sort of made me feel a bit like being at the final again last year listening to those two twits saying " This is how we do it in Sydney"
JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

LESStar58 wrote:It was odd...and there is no 22 meter line in rugby league. ;)

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
I was thinking in yards. ;)

JF
JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

Woody wrote:Speaking of people who couldn`t get the player`s names right what was the go with the 2 new announcers last night. The female stuffed up GI`s name when she was talking to Bellamy and is there any particular reason that we need someone from NSW as our ground announcer? I dont really care that he has been with Newcastle and wherever else he was at. We`ve managed quite well so far with a local so why do we need one now? It sort of made me feel a bit like being at the final again last year listening to those two twits saying " This is how we do it in Sydney"
I'm an expat Sydneysider yet I couldn't agree more. The Storm crowd do quirky things you don't see or hear in other NRL stadiums (the clap thing when taking conversions for example). This should be embraced not misunderstood & snubbed. The club has been in existence for long enough to have a local ground announcer. I'd say the Storm crowd are one of the most knowledgeable & loyal in the comp. And that goes for the ground announcer as well.

Where did that Appleyard (sp) bloke go? He used to yell out "1 2 3 Go the Storm!"

JF
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Woody the new guy your talking about is Frank Barrett he took over from couchys media job so i guess he got couchys MC job too as for the chick Felicity she was just embarressing then went on twitter and said he was so nervous talking to craig she forgot what she had to say
JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

JF_Storm_Swans wrote:The one thing I found different during last night's game was the Storm D initiative. To anyone who doesn't have a clue about what I am talking about or lives interstate, here is a link below.

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news-d ... year/48427

I was horrified when I heard that they were starting up a "dee-fence" kind of chant.My attitude was that you should be cheering louder and chanting when WE had the ball inside THEIR 20. I originally thought it would be contrived & fake, but after having seen it first hand last night I have to say I found it not only worked in lifting the atmosphere but it actually helped the players defend our line.

What were your thoughts on how it went? And how can we further improve the atmosphere at home matches?

JF
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:Woody the new guy your talking about is Frank Barrett he took over from couchys media job so i guess he got couchys MC job too as for the chick Felicity she was just embarressing then went on twitter and said he was so nervous talking to craig she forgot what she had to say
Thanks Sallymay, Fair enough re Felicity I suppose, I`d be pretty nervous too talking to Craig I suppose without having to try and do it in front of a crowd. I just get this feel that there is some sort of push to change the way the pre-game entertainment to give it a more NSW feel and I dont see why it needs to be done. In the final last year we turn up to have it run by those 2 twits that did their best to make you think that we were in Sydney, then they didn`t play the national anthem etc and I think it took away the feel of a home ground game because it felt different. Then when we turn up this week , surprise surprise , we have a ground announcer from Nth of the border, no anthem again and so on. If they`re any good I dont particulary care where they`re from it just feels like there is a subtle change afoot.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

They actually played the national anthem before the Toyota Cup game. It was weird since there was only about eight people in the stands at that time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Woody wrote:Speaking of people who couldn`t get the player`s names right what was the go with the 2 new announcers last night. The female stuffed up GI`s name when she was talking to Bellamy and is there any particular reason that we need someone from NSW as our ground announcer? I dont really care that he has been with Newcastle and wherever else he was at. We`ve managed quite well so far with a local so why do we need one now? It sort of made me feel a bit like being at the final again last year listening to those two twits saying " This is how we do it in Sydney"
Could not agree more,they should let Storm Man do it at least he knows their names and people like him !!!!
I remember when they had Authur Higgins doing it..he stuffed up a lot too,but Greg Ellis ( puleeeese )
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sorry that should read Arthur Higgins
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm not against the Storm D idea but I didn't like how the ground announcer kept shouting "come on Storm fans, clap your hands, stamp your feet" the whole time. Just shut up, dude. Play the sound effect, put the graphic on the bottom of the screen and leave it at that. Let the fans do the rest.

Felicity Whelan gets a pass with me solely because of the way she jiggled across the field to interview Kearnsy pre-match. Yup.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Rose Madder wrote:
Could not agree more,they should let Storm Man do it at least he knows their names and people like him !!!!
I remember when they had Authur Higgins doing it..he stuffed up a lot too,but Greg Ellis ( puleeeese )
Arthur Higgins was the name I was trying to think of (and I think it was 2004-05 he was ground announcer, not 2002-03 as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Not only was he annoying, he was cringeworthy - didn't have a clue about the players names. Whatever happened to him?
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I remember Arthur. I remember one night and he couldn`t work out which player had scored a try. By the time he`d finished rambling he`d awarded it to Marcus Bai, Junior Langi and possibly Semi Tadulala ( It was something like that anyway) The guy didn`t have a clue but he was at least very much pro-Storm :-D