YouTube hero Mahe Fonua on fringe of Melbourne Storm side.

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

YouTube hero Mahe Fonua on fringe of Melbourne Storm side by: Russell Gould
February 24, 2012 12:01AM

IT would be the best story Melbourne Storm could hope for this year if, in its 15th season, a Victorian finally suited up for the side in the NRL.
And when Mahe Fonua, of Springvale, launched himself over two bouncing Broncos into the chilly Hobart air on Saturday to snaffle a stunning catch and score a try, thoughts of that story loomed large.

A video of Fonua's feat has even found its way to YouTube and the ease with which he soared and scored suggested the centre was a player of some ability.

That was also clear in his elevation to the Toyota Cup's team of the year last year, as the centre, and when named Storm's Young Achiever of the Year.

But, at 19, and with no top level-experience, Fonua will not waltz into an NRL side that was a game away from the grand final last season.

In fact, apart from the "1, 7 and 9", Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith, no one who gave up 30 points in that four-point Tassie win over Brisbane is guaranteed a start for next week's season-opener against the Raiders in Canberra.

Coach Craig Bellamy gave his superstars, all playing their first pre-season game for Melbourne, a pass mark, but he left the Apple Isle disappointed in his team's overall defensive effort.

"I'm glad we've got two weeks (to fix things). I think the 9, 7 and 1 are pretty safe; the rest of them, we'll have a look," Bellamy said.

And that look will be restricted to training, and tapes until Tuesday when Bellamy will name his Round 1 line-up.

It should be more than the 17 who will run out too because, in something of a rarity, Storm has most of its roster available.

Hooker Slade Griffin is gone for the season with a knee injury, prop Jason Ryles has a hamstring issue and Jaiman Lowe has missed much of the pre-season. Beyond that trio, everyone else is ready to go.

The centres is where competition is hottest. Incumbent Dane Nielsen is almost secure, while returning Will Chambers, Justin O'Neill and Maurice Blair, who filled the position for much of last year, are fighting to share the second position.

Despite his Hobart heroics, Fonua is on the next rung, such is the club's depth in that position.

With a week until the season opens, there are some tough decisions for Bellamy, while, for Fonua, the work must continue.

THE presence of new Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant at the Melbourne Storm season launch was evidence the out-post club was again in the game's embrace.

looks like bellamy has went with neilson in the centre, and oneil blair and chambers to fight of the other centre spot.
doubt lowe will be playing reading that..
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Centres will be Neilson and Chambers reading this...which means Oniel and Quinn will fight out the other wing spot

and blairs best bet will be bench
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

scriptyx wrote:Centres will be Neilson and Chambers reading this...which means Oniel and Quinn will fight out the other wing spot

and blairs best bet will be bench
What about Duffman, you would have to think that Bellyache would have him first picked on the wing for Round 1. Then again, maybe Duff just didn't do enough in the trials to impress the coaching staff.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

duffie and Oneil on the wings with Neilson and chambers in the centres still good but would rather see Oneil in the centres..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

It would have been good y

it would have been good to have clear vision of the Fonua try.

o
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

sorry folks I don`t know what happened with my last post
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stormy i did have a clear vision of the try it happened right in front of where we sat....i felt like i was watching issy folau again

Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

I can't wait to see the second Victorian born player in action for the Melbourne Storm!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

btw i think mahe will play rd 1
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

I hope mahe plays rd 1 .

CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Surandy wrote:I can't wait to see the second Victorian born player in action for the Melbourne Storm!
Me too and I hope its real soon and the Storm make a big deal about it.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mahe will be overlooked for someone like blair. i love bobby, but Zzzzzzz
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mahe will make his debut at AAMI Park, not at an away game.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just really keen to see him get a go, tohu and kenny bromwich too, pity about slade griffin, wanted to see what he could do with some fg time
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

He is really young I doubt Bellamy will rush him to first grade. I think he will debut this year but I don't think it will be in the first few rounds.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image