Billy Slater breaks his collarbone!!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm star Billy Slater on the mend by: Russell Gould

MELBOURNE Storm star Billy Slater faces 10 weeks out after a "difficult" surgery on his broken collarbone.
The Kangaroos fullback, whose surgery was performed by a Storm-selected surgeon, has travelled by train to Manchester where Australia is preparing for its game against Wales in Wrexham early Monday morning.

Slater had a plate and pins inserted to repair the single fracture, not five as had been suggested. Although still sore and disappointed he couldn't be part of the team to avenge last year's Four Nations loss to New Zealand, Slater said he wanted to stay and "see the boys win" this time.

Storm skipper Cameron Smith, who will captain the Kangaroos against Wales, said Slater was a big loss but backed his replacement, Darius Boyd.

Australia should coast against Wales, despite resting several key players, including Darren Lockyer, in preparation for next week's final.

The Kangaroos' opponent will be determined when New Zealand plays England in the early hours of Sunday morning, Australian time.

Despite odds suggesting New Zealand is clear favourite, Smith said it would be closer than most people think.

"The Kiwis were pretty impressive against Wales," he said. "We watched most of their game and they played better than they did against us.

"But then in our game against England they had a lot of field position and opportunities on our own line, but somehow we held them out then got control of the game in the second half.

"I think it is going to be close. I don't think people realise how good England's squad is. They have a young team and the guy out the back, Sam Tomkins, is a wonderful player, a very dangerous player, and we found it hard to stop him.

"Their older players are playing well, too."

Smith was part of a large group of Kangaroos who turned tourists after the win against England and went to Berlin for three days.

He will captain a new-look Aussie team with coach Tim Sheens set to give international debuts to young Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, Brisbane veteran Corey Parker and St George Illawarra's Beau Scott.

Josh Morris is also likely to play.

CONGRATS CAM.....ALSO BILLY INJURY SUDDENLY SOUND OK....IN A STRANGE BAD WAY
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/b ... 6241183247

THEY were the only words Melbourne Storm fans wanted to hear.
After one-day back at training, following surgery for a shattered collarbone in November, star fullback Billy Slater said he was jumping out of his skin for contact work and was "in no doubt" for Round 1.

The reigning Dally M medallist also revealed he played the first half of last season still hampered by a pre-season shoulder reconstruction and that he felt better now than he did before his all-conquering 2011.

"I think I am ahead of schedule, doing everything except contact and all is going good for Round 1," Slater said.

"It was the same shoulder (as operated on last year) and after that surgery it was a good three months before I could do anything with it. The first half of the year I wasn't 100 per cent.

"With the break it was just about the bone mending and it was a lot less painful and I am certainly in a better position than I was this time last year."

Slater said consecutive off-season shoulder injuries wouldn't hamper his all-out defensive style.

"It hasn't scarred me yet and you have to get over it as quick as you can, make a couple of tackles, and get that confidence back. I can't see it hindering my performance," he said.

Storm captain Cameron Smith also said he was good to go and felt "fresh" after a break at the end of a year in which he played 36 games for Storm, Queensland and Australia, then got married.

Smith, now 28, said a re-jigged training program last pre-season helped him get through the rigours of 2011.

And with just three week's to prepare for the All-Stars game on February 4, which he gets an automatic start in as the would-be national captain, Smith said he needed to be ready to go sooner rather than later.

"I feel great. In last year's pre-season the trainers altered the way myself and Bill (Slater) trained and I think that helped us through the year. I felt really good through the season and even the Four Nations," he said.

"I feel fresh, I've had a nice break and cleared the mind and I'm excited to get back and play some footy.

"I'm involved in the All-Stars game which is three weeks away so I have to get as much out of my body as I can in the next few weeks. Hopefully the body gets through this first week of training then it's full steam ahead."
mattc
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

slater will miss the all stars game but will probaly be alright for round 1 ;)
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

billys gonna play in tassie...i hope

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

sallymay wrote:billys gonna play in tassie...i hope

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
i wouldn't think he would need to! he would be fit enough and experienced enough to go into the season without a trial match behind him
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

He'll need some match fitness, so maybe play him off the bench in a couple of trial games.