Attack too predictable?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Is our attack too predictable?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 21
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While I was watching Manly the other night. I noticed Cherry Evans would come back to the middle and have a few forwards as passing options under the posts and Foran as another option.
They asked so many questions of the Broncos defense. Watmough was used effectively here.

After the Manly game I started wondering if we could beat them and I started doubting it because our attack is a little too predictable.
Proctor and Manu camped out next to their centres and rarely seen in-field. One-out hitups with no forwards passing like Lima/Blair use to do.

I think we are a little too predictable, right or left and its either 2nd man to Slater, Widdop, Cronk then a short ball to Proctor or Manu.
We obviously missed Blair because no other foward has much ball skills!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i think proctor should move to lock, he has enough skill to worry the defence. i think it was the execution of the plays not the predictability that let us down at the end of the season. we peaked 4 or 5 weeks too early i think
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think we stuck to a simple gameplan and defended for our lives. This was supposed to get us through the rep period but due to travel and injuries we never got a chance to work on any new attacking plays.
Hopefully Craig will have some new tricks next year with a slightly more seasoned lineup.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Not going to answer this poll. Our boys tried their hearts out every week so they don`t deserve being picked apart because we lost a game.
SO PROUD OF OUR EFFORTS FOR THE LAST 2 SEASONS
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

2 things that have bugged me for years.

1. We rarely give early ball to the outside backs. Even when GI was here we didnt do it and he thrives on it.

2. Our edge backrowers nearly always getting involved in spreads. It be nice to them running in support of the props through the ruck every now & again.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Michael :P wrote:2 things that have bugged me for years.

1. We rarely give early ball to the outside backs. Even when GI was here we didnt do it and he thrives on it.

2. Our edge backrowers nearly always getting involved in spreads. It be nice to them running in support of the props through the ruck every now & again.

Absolutely this.

Your a smart man Noa.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think our attack is usually fine, but it just was not there the other night.. i still dont know what happened the other night,
but it was as though they didnt pay any attention at all to their usual gameplan.. it was one out.. all night.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Stats wise we were pretty good, they just outenthused us.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Guys we dont play bad it only happens when we play manly the broncos and the warriors and for some reason the raiders as well

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Guys we dont play bad it only happens when we play manly the broncos and the warriors and for some reason the raiders as well

Not fair Sally.
We beat the Broncos twice this year and statistically have the wood on them. Second encounter was a belting
Warriors we beat in NZ and were absolutely robbed at home on Anzac Day, same applied with Canberra. Reffing the other night wasn't too flash either. 1 penalty against the 2nd dirtiest team in the comp (they play the dirtiest next week)
Manly at Brooky I'll agree, but so did every other club this year.

Bring on 2012. At least we've started re-stocking the trophy cabinet

steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

hard to set up any real attack when you are playing behind a badly beaten pack. We need a big front rower or two to take us that step further I reckon
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

either that or take it out wide sooner & throw it around a bit like they did last year. no sense in doing one-up hits all the time if you haven't got size & power. hopefully like it appears there will be a bit more size in the forwards & the game can be more flexible
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

We shifted the ball around at the start of the year and it paid huge dividends. Then rep season came around and we played it simple and safe. We never really tried to shift the ball again after that. I think injuries and travel heavily disrupted any opportunities to work on that style of play again. It was probably decided that the safe game was working so why risk dramatic change in the finals.

Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yes and no, widdop, bobby and proctor getting more involved would help a lot imo
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

My thourghts:

Kicking game was so off not once did we try and turn the queen mary around with duffy thier I would have tried that a few times durring the game and no chip over the top.

Our line speed in defence was great at thier end of the field but sit at ours.

Became frustrated when thing were not going our way.

But in saying that it was anyones game 4 min out so proud to be a Storm member.