Thoughts on 2012

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So here we are, out of the comp and starting to plan for 2012.

Heres a few of my thoughts on next year on the team and what we should and shouldnt do.

Firstly our props definately need upgrading. It was my biggest fear going into the season and though it took 28 weeks it was finally shown to be true. Id like to see a pig rotation of

Bromwich
Vave
Norrie
Greenfield/Maclean if he has a big pre-season

Personally would like to see Sika switch to prop full-time but I doubt that will happen.

Secondly Gareth' has had a pretty good year but did drop off the 2nd half for whatever reasons. 2nd year is always harder because teams have an offseason to see what you can and cant do. Needs to work on his kicking and defence but most of all needs to become a genuine 6, and take some of the pressure of Cooper. Want to see him become more vocal and not wait till Cooper gives him the greenlight.

Thirdly is the question marks i.e. I have one on Duffie, Nielsen & Lowrie. Not saying theyre not good players but just is there a better option.

Duffie is a solid player but I think he has become over-rated. When we need a winger to make the hard yards for us coming out of our own half he comes up short imo, defensively his reads can be very ordinary and he's slow to turn and chase, I think he's be better suited to center long term. Fonua & Solomona are options to consider, Mahe with his ability to break a tackle and get good meters, Denny just has that X-factor and may be the quickest player in the entire NRL (for the time being ;) ) .

Danger is a great person but he offers us absolutely nothing in attack. Sure his defence is solid but I dont think it makes up for his lack of ability with the ball. He doesnt threaten to break the line and never to beat an opponent with a pass. Justin O'Neill is the better option here and I also think Duffie would do a better job eventually. Wiliame is another option, very good in attack and defence. Probably not next year though.

Lowrie has been average since he's been here, which doesnt mean he's been bad, he just hasnt done anything of any particular note. If we go with a backrow next year of Proc, Sika, Hoff & have Vave, Hinchcliffe, Greenfield on the bench I dont think a player of his quality, or lack of, deserves to take that last spot. Would rather see Kenny or Tohu take that last one, provided they have big offseasons.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My potential line-up

1. Slater
2. Duffie/Fonua
3. Justin O'Neill
4. Bobby Blair
5. Dane Nielsen
6. Widdop
7. Cronk

13. Hoffman
12. Sika
11. Proctor
10. Norrie
9. Cam
8. Bromwich

14. Hinchcliffe
15. Vave
16. GreenField
17. Harris/Bromwich
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just a thought. I don`t know what he would be worth but Krisnan Inu seems to be struggling to stay at the Warriors if some recent rumours are true.... While I`m very happy with the promotions that we have made and the signings that we appear to have made Inu could be a good pickup
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

maybe if quinn leaves then inu would be an option
hughzy
Squall
Squall

inu would be a good signing. especially under bellamy , he would be great for our backline.

anyway .. my 2012 lineup;

1.slater
2.oneil
3.MAHE FONU!
4.bobby
5.neilson
6.widdop
7.cronk
8.bromwich
9.smith
10. norrie
11.proctor
12.manu
13. Hoffman

14. hinchy
15. vave
16. greenfield/ afamasaga
17. tohu/kenny

that backline would be dAMAGING!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inu would be an awesome get. Dont know if Bellamy could handle his laissez faire approach to the game though.

Great center though, only took Cleary a whole season to work it out.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Id like to see us get abit of size.. preferably in the forwards..
hughzy
Squall
Squall

^^ agree!

Monsoon
Monsoon

Vave, Greenfield, and Hoff are all big boys, young guys like Sika, Proc, Brom etc are only going to be better next year, i know it sounds silly after last night but i always thought 2012 was going to be our time, this year was always a rebuilding sort of year and we still went really well. Personally this would be my 17, round 1 2012:

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Maurice Blair
4. Justin O'Neill
5. Dane Nielsen
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Siosaia Vave (Monster, killed it in NSW Cup today *Which we lost 30-26)
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Sika Manu
13. Kevin Proctor

14. Rory Kostjasyn
15. Ryan Hinchcliffe
16. Bryan Norrie
17. Michael Greenfield
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie/Sisa Waqa(I still think Sisa should have been playing instead of Quinn this year, we need a back who can take some hitups)
3. Bobby Blair
4. Dane Nielsen
5. Justin O'neill
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Sika Manu
13. Ryan Hoffman

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe
15. Rory Kostjasyn
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Jordan Mclean(massive guy at 196cm, and a hard worker which Bellamy likes. Solid but not spectacular.)

1st choice back up props: Jaiman Lowe, Michael Greenfield
1st choce Back Up 2nd rowers: Jack Afamasaga(should be good with a pre season under his belt), Tohu Harris
1st choice back up wing/centre: Sisa Waqa, Mahe Fonua
Back up 7: Luke Kelly
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We need some grunt. Guys like Jeremy Smith and Crocker/Kidwell/White/Blair. I miss Jeff Lima too.

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

it was obvious our forwards weren't big and quick enough, blair was missed, but we wont have him next year. bromwhich and norrie tried hard but when they left the warriors ran over us, i think we needed to sign lima instead of the hoff.
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We didnt lose due to size we lost because we allowed them to get second and third phase ball from offloads consistently, having our first tackle inside our 20 and making bugger all penetration. Last nights game should not be a deciding factor in how next years team is selected. Hoffy will bring us something off the edges and will be welcome, what we need is a replacement for Wooly etc, someone who can play a whole season as an impact foreward off the bench with some experience.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surely though penetration in your own red-zone comes from forwards or backs with a bit more size &/or power.

We also failed to get them on the backfoot, again becasue our props, apart from Jesse, lack power.
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

Well it's obvious that Quinn is done, Justin O'Neill gets his spot. Waqa can be the back-up winger for him & The Duff. I would like to see Quinn used in a Lock/2nd Row option but dont think thats likely to happen. Make it easier on Hinchy & Lowrie (who has grown on me over the season). We DEF do need help up-front though. Sika, Jesse B & Norrie would be the 3 I'd have fight it out for starting spots in Rd1 2012. Would also like to see Fonua & Tofu get a shot at times too (& what the Hell are they going to do with Niko?)