Does our CEO lack passion?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No doubt the 4 game membership helped boost numbers, have we had anything like that in recent seasons? If we have then it's still a fair comparison to use this seasons numbers to others. If we haven't had it before it was a good initiative to get neutrals or closet Storm fans to join up and come to games while hopefully upgrading memberships next year. If it boosted membership numbers then it obviously worked.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

The club has sold mid-season limited memberships in the past, I'm not sure whether they were specifically for 4 games or not.

Aside from the late membership sales and delays in sponsorship announcement, and subsequent delay in merchandise. All of which wouldve been beyond anybody's control considering the circumstances of last year. I think he's led us well this year. I've been impressed with his handling of match scheduling, ch9 showing games, Adam Blair and co's suspensions, and getting Gallop to Melbourne to award trophies here instead of Sydney. And I like the way he has not allowed Gallop's latest little sooky tantrum turn into a media circus at Storm HQ.

Some notable changes I've noticed this year;

Salary Cap compliant
Record membership
Record home crowd
First NRL club to get phone app
Facebook and Twitter interaction for fans
Hailstorm electronic newsletters
Rescheduling of Anzac Day clash with NZ
Limited Friday night games due to poor tv exposure
Pressure mounted on ch9 to telecast about 3 games live
MOPT ease restrictions on cowbells, etc at games
Pressured Gallop to present trophies at Melbourne
Has managed to keep media circus away from playing group and coaching staff, which often leads to disruption

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

G'day Go Storm, I can see what you are saying, but really when you look at it and especially those things you mentioned, he's not done that much.

Salary Cap compliant - How can you honestly be sure of this? None of us knew we were in breach when it all happened, and the same people at the very top then, are still there now. You can blame Brian Waldron as they have pushed everyone too, but really, he was and still is the scapegoat. Gauci's bosses are the same bosses Waldron had, just remember that.

Record home crowd - With the stadium we have and the quality of it, and after everything that has happened to us last year, this is really coincidental.

First NRL club to get phone app - Great.

Facebook and Twitter interaction for fans - They deleted comments many supporters made and moderated post that were critical of News Ltd's involvment in our club.

Hailstorm electronic newsletters - Same as most clubs.

Rescheduling of Anzac Day clash with NZ - Very good.

Limited Friday night games due to poor tv exposure - Really what has he done? Brian Waldron was also extremely critical of free to air television coverage. Nothing has changed.

Pressure mounted on ch9 to telecast about 3 games live - Same as previous years.

MOPT ease restrictions on cowbells, etc at games - Took many, many incidents before he finally made an effort to address the serious issues.

Pressured Gallop to present trophies at Melbourne - No he didn't.

Has managed to keep media circus away from playing group and coaching staff, which often leads to disruption - But by doing this, he accepted everything that was thrown at us and showed absolutely no fight when rediculous decisions were made.

Go Storm, I can honestly see what you're saying and why you think that and it does make sense, however when it's looked at in depth, it doesn't look the same.

Anyway, opinions are like .....holes, everyone has one. If everybody's was the same, life would be boring.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

To say Ron lacks passion is far from the truth, he may be new to the game itself and you could say he's still finding his feet but he's leading the club in the right direction, he's not the vocal supporter which Waldron was and he's not the peoples man which Waldron was but he's a clever business man, he knows what he's doing. He's made some smart decisions in the way we have handled recent events. We all just need to give him our full support

StormSergeant
Squall
Squall

Hey Jamie

Can see where everyone is coming from, ultimately time will tell as to how good a CEO he is. From my perspective, he seems ok and seems to be quite a sensible guy (but as you said, opinions are like ...holes!) As long as I get to see 12 Storm home games and get first crack at finals tickets, I'm not fussed! Anything extra is a bonus!

Hows the thing with Gauci going Jamie? Been into court or mediation or something like that?

Signing off from Leeds

Stephen (SS)
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Gaucci took over this club at a very difficult time,not a roll to envy most may agree,but I feel he handled the media well at the time and still continues to do so. he is a hard man to read,but I have spoken to him a couple of times at various Storm events, and have found him quite honest and open. he is not a loud man and thus does not give off that bravado personality that we have come to expect with our past CEOs,but don't confuse this with not having the passion,I believe he puts this club before anything,and whatever decisions he makes is in the clubs best interest,hence his recents actions re the fighting issue,it was best just to accept the NRLs punishments rather than fight them with no chance of winning, thus prolonging the match bans on the players involved ( right or wrong ) there is nothing he or the club could do as far as Adam Blair was concerned.If you look at the replay of the David Gallop booing at AAMI park you will notice a very smug smile on Gaucci"s face.He at this stage needs to be seen doing the right thing as far as the NRL are concerned and he does that well,but I really feel that when the time is right he will stand up to be counted,but during the finals is not the right time.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

G'day Storm Sergeant

Unfortunately I can't really elaborate on what you're referring to. However what I can say is that I feel a lot stronger about what he is all about now. It goes a small part of the way to explaining why I feel the way I do about him. It's unfortunate as I've also lost one of my close friends (His cousin). We were great friends for many years, but now we don't speak which is sad.

But I hope it won't all be for nothing. I still hold great hope that one day soon the club can be independently owned and run, and the 4 innocent sacked directors; Dr Moodie, Maher, Ryan and Fawcett will be back in the positions of the club's board.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ok. Without googleing or sitting there for hours,can you name any other clubs CEO's and tell us what they have done to make their club better than ours.....go!!
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Todd Greenburg from the bulldogs. Enough said

Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Todd Greenburg from the bulldogs. Enough said

Yeah. They're flying aren't they? Should be hard to stop this year...
...oh that's right, they're seasons over.
And how I wish we gave away two of our home games to be played interstate, that's putting the members first isn't it?

(if you were being sarcastic I appologise for not recognizing it. If you weren't then may I add sacking the coach mid-season. The same coach with lifelong ties to the club. The same coach who took them from near the bottom of ladder to finals last year.)

Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bruno Cullen was the only CEO worth his salary. Instead of having Brisbane's books audited and their history destroyed for cheating he convinced Gallop to change the rules relating to 3rd party payments.
Now, what the Storm got punished for last year is totally within the salary cap rules.

Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sure the Bulldogs didn't perform well on the field but what Greenburg has done for the club off the field is great. He's changed the culture of the club to be a family orientated club. He's managed to come in and turn the public image of the bulldogs into one of the better images in the league. He's helped take the club forward and steered them away from all the internal problems they were having. Taking the games interstate is only increasing the appeal of the bulldogs brand, it may not suite the members but why should it? They may jump up and down and complain but at the end of the day, that's all they'll ever do, it's not like their going to walk out on the club.

Sacking Kevin Moore cannot be pinned solely on Greenburg. He may have a say but the ultimate decision is not his to make, the board of the bulldogs are the one who call the shots, just like it has been down in Melbourne.

Personally i believe We could use Greenburg to repair our image.

glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I have not been a big fan of any of our CEO's for different reasons. Mainly because I think they have all been there to futher their own careers first and look after the club second, (my opinon only). But there are two things I have liked about Ron.

Firstly, he applied for the job before April last year and still wanted after the drama happen. Maybe there was no one else left, but he did not change his mind when the job got harder.

Secondly, only happened this week. After the booing of Gallop at the match and they way they the little sook reacted. I was convinced Ron would come out and apologise on behalf of Storm fans, say something like the incident was regrettable and we should respect Gallop and his jog etc etc. But he do not say anything.

Sometimes saying nothing speaks a lot louder than saying something. I think this time it did.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think he has bought back some respectability since he has come to STORM.The only problem I have with him is IF he apologised to giddyup on behalf of STORM members and fans last week.I would NEVER want to apoogise to giddyup for the treatment he got last week. He never showed any leadership or support to our team last season when he knew they would be HURTING.