My Personal Opinion on the Salary Cap Drama

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

I've been quiet for far too long on this matter, but in 18 months i've had alot of time for thought and reflection. 1st things first, i admit we systematically rorted the NRL salary cap as an administration, i accept we were caught and as a fan have accepted the punishments of losing 2 premierships, our minor premierships, shedding of talent, massive fines and losing the right to compete in the 2010 premiership race. I think all storm fans have accepted this to some extent and moved on.

Why is this still an issue? Like year's past a media driven agenda against the Storm shows up right around finals time, and living in Sydney i can honestly say people up here hate us, particularly the media. Now i have no gripe with this generally as the media up here hates anything and anyone not from NSW, what i do have a problem with is the constant kick them why their down mentality. Warren Smith's grilling of Bellamy at the Dally M's left a sour taste in my mouth, and i'm sure it wasn't just an off the cuff question. What i can't understand is why is there still this attitude towards us as a club?

We filtered out the rats in administration who brought the club to it's knees, we cut many players to become cap compliant, we copped our punishment, started anew when most thought we would fold and have already returned to the NRL summit, fully cap compliant. I dare say if we finished outside the 8 this year no one would have an issue but because we bounced back legally people feel the need to keep bringing up the past, instead of applauding the efforts of the players and coaching staff, it seems to be easier to still put our success down to cheating, even though thats no longer the case.

All players and Bellamy were cleared by both an NRL independent audit and an internal club investigation yet these are the men who not only lost the most, but are still the target of cheap shot merchants, just because they have proven their success was from hard work and determination. People still believe we are reaping the rewards of the rort? We signed Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater from Brisbane Norths, not as under 20's stars from other clubs, not as 15 year old prodigies, but as men playing reserve grade, 3 men who would have signed with any of the other 15 NRL clubs had they had the vision we did (Bronco's told Cam he didn't have what it took to play NRL). All 3 signed for minimum wage, the rest is history. So why does the wider RL community think it's unfair we keep these 3 players no one else wanted? I guess losing Steve Turner, Matt King, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Brett White, Jeremy Smith, Dallas Johnson and the countless others who no one else wanted isn't enough. I remember pre season many people were happy to see us decimated and were tipping us for the bottom half of the table, no one cared that we still had the 'big 3' because in their eyes everyone around them were rejects and nobodies, they laughed us off as a threat when we signed Lowe, Wooly etc and happily stated "It's an even playing field now, let's how they go now derp derp derp". But now that we are actually successful again everyone wants to cry cheat! Again, and it's f***ing pathetic.

Us fan's have been unfairly targeted for a long time now, i read other forums and all they say is 'accept you cheated and the hate will stop blah blah blah' WE NEVER DENIED CHEATING MUPPET'S!!! As fans we copped the abuse, ridicule and punishments fairly handed down to the organization, but we never abandoned them. Every player was cleared of involvement, yet people still speculate and state as fact. The fact is our slimy ex-adminstration covered it up and screwed over alot of loyal people involved with the club. They were moved along, yet still our legal, cap-compliant team is copping unwarranted abuse. Have we not suffered enough, have us fans not yet copped enough s***? I can fully understand why Bellamy & the boys have this seige mentality. But we didn't create it, it's the world against us, not the other way round. I also believe jealousy is a curse.

Afew interesting point's i dare any opposing fan to respond too:

- NZ Warriors were $800,000 over the salary cap afew years back and got a fine and a slap on the wrist, in 2007 we were $300,000 over and lost everything. Tigers are $150,000 over this year and that conveniently dissapeared from the Sydney Media's radar. Nothing happened.
- The bulldogs were 1.5 million over in 03, lost no players and were allowed to re-negotiate all deals, then won the comp in 04 with the EXACT SAME illegal squad, no one stripped that title?
- Scott Prince's free $400,000 property development dissapeared too with no official outcome or explanation.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Someone's been reading LU. ;)

I think the most ridiculous thing I read there was that Storm fans should apologise for what happened. I will NEVER apologise for loving my team.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1999 wrote:jealousy is a curse.
There's your issue in a nutshell 1999.

Life's too short to keep worrying about what trash the Telecrap or Fox Sports is drumming up. And seriously, if you want to keep your blood pressure down, dont worry about anything any other supporters post online.

There's far too many bitter St Merge supporters, Parra-scums and others out there that are simply frustrated and vent it our way.

The best thing is not to respond to them, or get upset by it. It took me awhile. I was forever defending the players, coaches etc, but it got me no-where.

It took me a long time to realise the only way to move on, is by winning. And that's what the team has done. Sure it still hurts, and I will always think that both NRL and News Ltd (as if the two are separate....) treated us with utter contempt and harshly. Especially considering no further action was/is being taken against the individuals involved. Waldron? Nope. Hanson? Nope O'Sullivan? Nope - still employed by the Roosters, and working fulltime in the NRL. Player Agents? Nope, despite being clearly implicated by the NRL's own investigation - they continue to negotiate players contracts with the NRL.

But, with each win the pain eases slightly. And I know what the best medicine will be: Cammy lifting that Trophy on Sunday
October 2nd. The look on Gallop's face will be something I will never get sick of seeing. Even if we dont win it - life goes on. I'm just very proud to be a Storm supporter. This team is all class and deserve all the accolades they will eventually get.
Monsoon
Monsoon

absentee wrote:Someone's been reading LU. ;)

I think the most ridiculous thing I read there was that Storm fans should apologise for what happened. I will NEVER apologise for loving my team.

LU definitely got me in this mood... Although this vent has been building, i just needed to get it out, i would post it LU but have been permanently banned for not sharing Willow's Dragon loving views, feel free to post it if you need some ammo =P

Diehard_Storm your right, no point dwelling on it or even trying to debate the point with other clubs 'fans', it's a dead end street it seems.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

we will forever cop crap off everyone! dogs supporters still hear rapists and cheats and how long ago was that? the fact is that people now know it was hard work and discipline that won those trophies! they just like stirring us and getting a reaction.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

We have NO reason to apologise for following the GREATEST TEAM ON TURF..I spread the word of Storm any chance I get whether people want to listen or not.
Crappamatta and dragqueen supporters are jealous of us Storm supporters as our team is great not like their MEDIOCRE footy clubs.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Can someone tell me what is LU?
tozza smith should move on.he has been stuck on the same questioins and subject for TOO LONG.
since I told brendan cowell to cover his flabby tuckshop arms up if he wants people to take his views seriously on league Lounge he has worn long sleeve shirts. that will teach him for criticising Storm `s tackling techniques. I told him the only thing that he could tackle was what was in his jocks.
Sick of commentators
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

stormy - leagueunlimited .. its another league forum.. where forumers from all walks of life come together to discuss rugby league..
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Thanks simo :-D
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Diehard_Storm wrote:
1999 wrote:jealousy is a curse.
There's your issue in a nutshell 1999.

Life's too short to keep worrying about what trash the Telecrap or Fox Sports is drumming up. And seriously, if you want to keep your blood pressure down, dont worry about anything any other supporters post online.

There's far too many bitter St Merge supporters, Parra-scums and others out there that are simply frustrated and vent it our way.

The best thing is not to respond to them, or get upset by it. It took me awhile. I was forever defending the players, coaches etc, but it got me no-where.

It took me a long time to realise the only way to move on, is by winning. And that's what the team has done. Sure it still hurts, and I will always think that both NRL and News Ltd (as if the two are separate....) treated us with utter contempt and harshly. Especially considering no further action was/is being taken against the individuals involved. Waldron? Nope. Hanson? Nope O'Sullivan? Nope - still employed by the Roosters, and working fulltime in the NRL. Player Agents? Nope, despite being clearly implicated by the NRL's own investigation - they continue to negotiate players contracts with the NRL.

But, with each win the pain eases slightly. And I know what the best medicine will be: Cammy lifting that Trophy on Sunday
October 2nd. The look on Gallop's face will be something I will never get sick of seeing. Even if we dont win it - life goes on. I'm just very proud to be a Storm supporter. This team is all class and deserve all the accolades they will eventually get.
Well said mate..
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think a lot of the hostility from other fans comes from a combination of the long standing irrational hatred of anything south of the Murray and the way in which Sydney newspapers write about our club. Example - that brief article from yesterday where Craig was quoted as saying that the club worked hard to win the 2007 and 2009 premierships. That's true - they did. What was revealed last year doesn't change the hard work or take away the feeling of winning. Now, take that quote, add a headline that's something along the lines of "Scumbag Storm still believe they deserve the premierships they cheated to win" (okay, not that but that's what the reporter was getting at) and Sydney fans eat it up. They then start throwing things around like "the Storm have no remorse", "the Storm can't admit they cheated" and "Storm fans are arrogant for supporting their team". Ridiculous, right? Yeah, they're not actual quotes but that's the general sentiment amongst a lot of them. It just blows my mind.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

1999 wrote:
absentee wrote:Someone's been reading LU. ;)

LU definitely got me in this mood... Although this vent has been building, i just needed to get it out, i would post it LU but have been permanently banned for not sharing Willow's Dragon loving views, feel free to post it if you need some ammo =P

Diehard_Storm your right, no point dwelling on it or even trying to debate the point with other clubs 'fans', it's a dead end street it seems.
So Willow banned you because you had a different view, that's just bs. He still has an opportunity to post his tripe because he's a Mod. and you don't get a chance for a reply. How crazy is that for a site that needs all the traffic flow it can get.

Just on your post about the Warriors slap on the wrist for their rorting, I think you will find that they only owned up because a new admin took over. One can only imagine if this did not happen, they could have continued doing so for years without being caught.
brewer
Squall
Squall

Don't worry yourself over willow, he's just a small man, drunk on internet power.

If you don't agree with him, he'll moderate you out of existence and then ban you.

A true nob swallower. Sleep easy, your a better person than him

Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta agree on the Willow thing, nothing but a condescending wanker. Also just on the Bulldogs cap thing, they were actually over by $2 million in 2003. It's amazing how we cop more shit than them when we lost all that we did and they were allowed to go on their merry way to win a premiership virtually the same roster. Not to mention the fact they also brought in Andrew Ryan from Parra who was a rep player at the time.

As satisfying as the season has been so far, it's be ten fold if we can lift that trophy on GF day. To stick it up all those Sydney fans who've bagged shit out of us constantly would be priceless, they'd absolutely shattered if we do :lol:
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm sure I heard somewhere that Canberra were $1m over in 1989 or 1990, the first year of the cap and NOBODY has suggested going back and taking their premiership away from them. Amazing...