Hypocrisy of brawl

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storm77
Squall
Squall

Firstly I thought the idea that they were binned in the first place was ridiculous.To me the occasional fight has always been part of the game and to be honest I thought the brawl was some good old fashioned fun. I am not saying it's something you want to see every week but on occasion it's just the boys having some fun.

Here is where I see a tremendous problem in the media and other peoples reactions.

Ruby league markets itself as the toughest game on earth, They talk of it, especially origin, as being gladiatorial and they love to highlight the violent hit's therefore highlighting the fact that it is a violent sport.

Then all of a sudden after a couple of guys go at it your giving them ten and after things get a little to heated and a brawl breaks out everyone starts talking about what a disgrace it is and how they bought the sport in to disrepute.

Give me a break. If you promote the violent aspects of the sport and hype up the physicality then to me you can't then very well turn around and act like it is somehow offensive that a fight broke out.

It's actually surprising it doesn't happen more often.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Its all rubbish, no one really cares but its all about saying "we dont accept it" before the media jump on it.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bit ill disciplined 2 weeks out from the finals i spose..
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I guarantee you - had the same thing happened during an Origin game it would have been "boys will be boys" and then play on.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the thing that bothers me the most...

the penalty was reversed when they decided that Hinchcliffe's elbow was responsible for the all in.

why wasn't it reversed again when 4 manly players sprinted 40-50m to turn blair vs g.stewart into a second all in.

the stewart brothers are thugs and i hope they come a cropper for it one of these days because if you compare the punches that blair was throwing to what g.stewart was, it was like a kid vs a prize fighter in the intent and the power. b.stewart was placed on report for sprinting in and putting a cheap shot on, i hope it goes through due process and the nrl aren't scared off by the b.stewart vs gallop fued that's gone on the past couple of years. also hope the pro-sydney media don't get him off!!!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I belive they will be scared off by the B.Stewart/Gallop fued and B. Stewart will get nothing. I have also the match review committee are looking closely at the Hinchcliffe elbow that started it all and he will get sighted.
Last edited by glennb on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That elbow was nothing. Hitch didn't even see him...and it was slight contact.

Brett Stewarts on the other hand ran 30 meters to attack the head of Blair - a hit which made Blair fall o the ground clutching his head.

He was then the recipient of 3-4 Zmanly players attackin him whilst he was defenseless. If Manly players don't get the brunt of suspension, then Gallop better not set foot in AAMi Park in rd 1 of finals..

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Adam Blair and the Melbourne Storm on the outer with rival teams

TENSION between Melbourne Storm forward Adam Blair and Manly lock Glenn Stewart has been simmering for the past three seasons, since the pair clashed in the 2008 grand final and the World Cup.
There may not have been a public blow-up or on-field confrontation, but there is definitely a mutual dislike of one another.

When the Kiwis beat Australia to claim the World Cup in 2008, both were starting forwards in the rival packs.

The pair regularly clashed and had also locked horns when Manly swept to grand final glory in 2008 and during the Storm's 2007 win.

Blair, the New Zealand vice-captain, is regarded as one of the NRL's best nigglers.

An aggressive forward who made his debut in 2006, he regularly treads a fine line on the field.

In April 2008, he was the first player charged with using the controversial "chicken wing" tackle on then Brisbane Broncos hooker Michael Ennis.

At the time, the Storm forward pleaded guilty to the charge and escaped suspension - but his reputation among rival players was well on the way towards being damaged.

In short, many rivals view the niggling tactics employed by Blair as being outside the spirit of the game.

Stewart, a south coast product, is regarded as a no-nonsense ball-playing lock who is fiercely loyal towards family and friends. He's not one to take a back step.

Throughout his brother Brett's highly-publicised court case, Glenn was the rock of the Stewart clan and still resents the media for the way the ordeal played out.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Stewart told Sea Eagles team-mates the only reason he entered the fray against Blair last Friday was because the Storm forward had raced in and started throwing punches at rookie forward Darcy Lussick.

Angered at the attack on a young team-mate, Stewart saw no other option but to seek some retribution.

Blair's judiciary rap sheet won't do him any favours when he fronts up this week to answer charges.

At the start of last season, he escaped a biting incident against then Cronulla winger Blake Ferguson due to lack of evidence.

And in September 2009, Blair again found himself in the firing line for another "chicken wing" tackle on Warriors lock Micheal Luck.

Again, the Storm forward was hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge, with the emphasis on "unnecessary head/neck pressure".

Privately, many NRL players regularly voice strong opinions about the Storm's use of wrestling techniques.

Over the past nine seasons, we've seen the emergence of the "grapple" tackle, the "crusher", the 'chicken wing' and the 'rolling pin', where players drop their knee on to the back of a tackled rival's calf muscle.

All were introduced by the Storm and all are regarded as pushing the laws and spirit of the game to the limit.

It's common knowledge the Storm utilise the expertise of black belt jiu-jitsu expert John Donehue.

Many coaches bemoan this influence as an unnecessary blight on the game

------------------------
here we go again
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What a ridiculously biased article. Glen Stewart a Family Man. And what Adam Blair isn't. What a douch.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Was that a Telegraph article?

If not, I will be surprised.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

smh

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Who wrote the article? Des Hasler or Brett Stewart?
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sunday Telegraph actually - as it states.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

haha opps....was reading smh b4 this article

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

g.stewart is a dirty cheap shot merchant, everyone knows it