Chris Walker has a whinge about our tackling

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

FORMER Melbourne star Chris Walker has unleashed a savage attack on his former club, claiming the Storm's wrestling techniques are a blight on the game.

Walker posted a series of explosive comments on Twitter after watching the Storm defeat St George Illawarra in Friday night's blockbuster at AAMI Park.

''Melbourne & Craig Bellamy have f----d league with the way they employ wrestling moves, grapple, etc, it's not MMA or wrestling, IT'S RL!!!!,'' Walker tweeted late on Friday night.
He followed up soon afterwards with: ''I'm sorry Melbourne fans, but it's not the way footy should b played, they r a well coached team without that rubbish''. The former Queensland flyer added: ''… I call it as I c it, I was apart of it and I can tell u that they employ all the s--t tactics, we trained 4 it''.

The spray did not go down well in Melbourne. Storm officials did not wish to comment publicly, but were disappointed the tirade will deflect from their surge for the minor premiership, a feat achieved just a year after the salary cap scandal decimated their playing ranks.

One club insider offered: ''Chris Walker is not really well liked by a lot of people in our place, including the coach. Chris is one of only two players sacked on Craig Bellamy's watch, along with Arana Taumata. They are both characters who have had plenty of clubs, were given plenty of opportunities but didn't take them.

''He had numerous misdemeanours down here. He failed the culture of the group and was sacked.

''The biggest thing that pisses us off is that he wants to get into our tackling technique - this coming from a bloke who couldn't tackle.''

Walker played just seven games for the Storm in 2006 before he was sent packing for disciplinary reasons. The veteran three-quarter, who was granted an early release from Parramatta to concentrate on his Walker Brothers Earthworks business, was unrepentant yesterday.

''Some of their techniques … and holds to slow the play the ball down - to a person who knows - are not in the best interests of the game,'' Walker told The Sun-Herald. ''I watched the game pretty closely last night. Having three in the tackle - one around the legs and having two guys hold [the attacker] up, was what Melbourne were doing. St George had ample opportunities to get a third in at the knees, but they're obviously not coached like that down there.

''I know that 99.9 per cent of the teams employ wrestling coaches, but they just seem to have a better technique than everyone else.''

Walker clocked up 163 NRL games across six clubs during a colourful and controversial career. The 31-year-old was a prolific try-scorer but, ironically, was not known for his defence. ''I think defence was a thing that went around my place,'' he joked.

While there wasn't any one incident that caught his attention in Friday's game, the man dubbed ''Texas'' claimed the Storm pioneered many of the wrestling moves now prevalent in league.

''The style of football has certainly changed and I know its changed because Melbourne have changed the game,'' he said. ''I'm certainly not condoning what they do, but now there's a large focus on holding players up, chopping knees, putting people into submission holds that have been learned from coaches.''

Accusations of wrestling always hit a raw nerve with the Storm. Their recent tactics, copied by rivals, have not piqued the interest of the match review committee.

Walker said the Storm didn't need to resort to such tactics. ''That's the thing, Craig Bellamy is probably the best coach at the moment,'' he said. ''He's got a team there with the big three - Cooper [Cronk], Cameron [Smith] and Billy [Slater] - that you don't need to put that on.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1j3l4.html

What a whining knob this guy is
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

noone listens to him anyway....he is just trying to stay in the nrl news....i.e jason akamanas

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Same old blah blah blah bs :lol:
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Wanker!!!!!! Good comparison with Aka being a tosser, but at least Aka could play.

Let me paraphrase that article:
"I'm lazy and ill-disciplined and can't be bothered training hard or defending, so neither should anyone else."

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1/2 a player (could attack, noy defend) = 1/2 a brain
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Have another drink Chris and crawl back under that rock you come from -

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Chris is one of only two players sacked on Craig Bellamy's watch, along with Arana Taumata. They are both characters who have had plenty of clubs, were given plenty of opportunities but didn't take them.
Says it all really ::) That & the fact even 'Sally' couldn't stomach his Bullshit :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Thor19
Squall
Squall

Chris Walker has some mental hellth issues when at the Storm.

However does not excuse his criticism as he benefited from the Storm culture...he had many many chances at the Storm actually much more than publicised....

He was and is a has been who didn't cut it at the Storm unlike the many other journeymen..

The issue with wrestling is simple - if the referee called held when forward momentum has stopped no wrestle - play the ball - quicker game... like in the old days.

The wrestle comes from the dominant and submissive tackles invented by Bill Harrigan as a reaction to the "carry" tackles (up to 20 metres) invented by Ricky Stuart when he was the Roosters coach. Probably too complex for Chris to understand...

Serves to frustrate us fans as each referee has different intepretations of dominant tacles and how long to hol and then release the tackled player. As we all know ... different referee (Shayne Hayne v Tony Archer v Matt Checchin etc) - different interpretation.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

What a knob gobbler
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ben Hannent has defended Storm.Wishing that the donkeys could tackle as well as Storm do.He said Storm were perfect.
The less said about walker( the most useless player to pull on a pair of boots) the better.Maybe it was a quiet day at the daily telegraph on Sunday.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

isnt it always a quiet day at the telegraph office?
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1j8iz.html

Good to see some support from "Hollywood" after Walker`s little muck-raking rant. The particular thing I`m happy to see with this article is that , not only has Harrigan come out and said that there is no issue with our tackling, but he has gone as far as to suggest that it wasn`t Storm who started the newest trend in going around the legs. He says that the refs noticed another team doing it at the start of the year and have been monitoring it ever since. We`ll see how that goes down Nth of the border :)
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Hey Chris you Wanker.

How about you tweet to everyone what it really was that you got sacked for. That'd make much more interesting reading...
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wouldn't worry about anything he says. I labelled him Chris Walk-out when he left the Bunnies. He signed with the Bunnies for 2 or 3 years and after 8 weeks he left to join the Roosters because he wanted to play with a winning team. If that was the case why did he sign with Bunnies in first place? The year before they would have won the wooden spoon if the Dogs had not been stripped of their points. What a twit!