Storm vs Dragons Game Thread

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

1999's Preview

Storm vs Dragons Round 24 AAMI Park 19/8/2011

The Storm just keep on keeping on, another week gone another 2 competition points banked, and with 1 hand on the minor premiership we have to ask, at what cost? With influential half Cooper Cronk sidelined for 2 weeks with a foot injury, along with knocks to Boby Blair and Danger Nielsen, along with the season ending back injury to Justin O'Neill, could the wheels be about to fall off? Not if Cameron Smith has anything to do with it. "Whoever pulls on that jersey is expected to do his job" he said. Manly are still in the hunt for the J.J Giltnan Shield and a loss here would give them a big sniff, inadvertently making the round 25 clash a minor premiership decider. Whilst Cronk is a massive loss there are some positive's for the Storm, with Ryan Hinchcliffe, Matt Duffie and Todd Lowrie all due back for the AAMI Park showdown. After 11 straight victories the Storm are full of confidence and will still fancy themselves against a slipping St George outfit, but will be weary of the wounded and quite frankly embarrassed Dragons. The Roosters simply outenthused the Dragons and even though currently on a 4 game losing streak, Wayne Bennett is a super coach and his squad know they are better than they are currently showing, but so does Bellamy. Don't expect any complacency as the Storm look to grind out a low scoring win, expect Slater & Smith to have the class to just get the boys home in a tight one. STORM BY 2
Monsoon
Monsoon

Probable Line-up's:

Storm

1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Duffie
3. Maurice Blair
4. Dane Nielsen
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cameron Smith (c)
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Adam Blair
12. Sika Manu
13. Kevin Proctor

14. Rory Kostjasyn
15. Todd Lowrie
16. Troy Thompson
17. Jaiman Lowe

Dragons

1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Matt Cooper
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby (c)
8. Dan Hunt
9. Nathan Fein
10. Michael Weyman
11. Beau Scott
12. Ben Creagh
13. Matt Prior

14. Kyle Stanley
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Trent Merrin
17. Dean Young
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

have been having a bad feeling for the last few hours about friday but am starting to get the feeling somthing goods gonna happen

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This is a bold prediction, but I don't think we will lose another game for the rest of the year.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Mauritian wrote:This is a bold prediction, but I don't think we will lose another game for the rest of the year.
That's a prediction I like! ;D
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

I cant beleive the Dragons lost again on the weekend, im not sure whether this is going to be a tough game or not.. maybe its going to be an easy game.
It looks like a strong Saints line up.. on paper anyways..
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

With the exception of the salary cap dodger,(Gasnier), the side they put out against the chooks was 'strong',though the human speed bump was reduced to being a go slow sign :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think the Dragons will come out fired up for the Storm, but I still see us having the necessary style to strangle them out of the contest.

I think Jamie Soward's confidence has now hit rock bottom, and the seriously over-rated Darius Boyd rather simple mind, has now finally left the building to Newcastle.

Everyone goes on and on about Bennett this and Bennett that, but they seem to forget that nearly every year, a Bennett team commences the season one of the title favorites. Yet - his ability to get a side ready for finals footy is seriously average.

Broncos fade outs are well known. I can remember Broncos exiting meekly in 1991,1994,1995,1996,1999, 2001,2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008 (ahem) - that's not a . Dragons choked big time after strong favoritism in 2009 (and a rare minor premiership for Bennett). But in the late eighties, and mid nineties - there were plenty of years where Broncos were bundled out early or failed to make the finals - despite a roster that resembled QLD/Australian teams.

I've never been convinced he's all that great. With the cattle he's always had - his finals records apart from GFs should be much better. I think you'll find hes winning percentage in finals footy is significantly below his normal regular season average. (Update: Broncos reg. season: 64% v Finals: 52%). No wonder Bennett hates the word 'slump' - he experiences more often than any other coach in history.

Now he can combine 'slump' with 'choke' to see that 2011, like 2009 will be one massive disappointment!

I'm more worried about Manly. I think we'll drop that game at Brooky, but the key thing is to avoid any more injuries. We're in finals mode now. The minor premiership should be the last thing on our minds.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't think Soward will play,and I really think a lot depends on the referees we get,lets hope it is not Tony, Archer,but given that it is on a Friday night and the game of the round it probably will be,mind you having said that,all the refs are the same when it comes to Melbourne Storm,but that little blond guy,Chris James I think his name is,does not like Kevin Procter,but oh well I guess we will just have to wait and see,and lets hope who ever we get does not let the Dragons make the decisions like they did last night when Darius Boyd told the ref to send Minnichiello off !!!!!!!!!!!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we'll beat them. I think we'll hit
30 and I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt score a try.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

This has never been a game I have been worried about.The sydney media will be trying to build this game up for dragqueens but if the mediocre chooks can get past them then what are my FOCUSED CHAMPION TEAM going to do to them.The dragqueens are as useless as a used honeymoon prick
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Oh and I forgot to mention the giddyup factor. that will spur the team on to show the tosser that HARD WORK MADE STORM A CHAMPION TEAM...
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

im more confident about this match than i have been all year. even with our injuries we manage to pull some amazing shit off at aami park!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Also think it`s Billy`s 200th game and the guys always like to celebrate those games. Looking forward to Friday. I am really hoping that Sika has the opportunity to score straight over Soward. If he thinks trying to stop GI a couple of years ago was bad he`s positively going to s..t himself when he sees Sika coming :twisted:
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Don't think Soward is playing Woody, on the Monday Night Football pre game show they said that Soward injured his back more and is expected to be out for one to two matches. So don't think Sika will be able to do that unfortunately mate!