Finally Someone backs us

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... 1i5pd.html

Ref boss backs Storm tackle

NRL referees boss Bill Harrigan has cleared Melbourne to continue with its latest controversial tackling technique, even though it has drawn heat from critics who have categorised it alongside other Storm-inspired moves such as the outlawed grapple tackle and chicken wing.

Channel Nine commentator and Eels great Peter Sterling highlighted the technique during last week's broadcast of the Brisbane-Storm game when he declared ''all [Melbourne's] wrestling is now done on the standing player''.

The tackle involves up to three Melbourne defenders hitting the ball-carrier high to slow him down while a third defender waits until just before the referee calls ''held'' to tackle him around the ankles. The defenders then twist the attacking player on to his back to enforce a slow play-the-ball

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... z1TfQGhHfv
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/m ... 6105008625

STOP, grab, twist, ground, release. Repeat 300-odd times a game, score some tries, climb to the top of the ladder.
Melbourne Storm's resurgence this season could be as simple as that with the five-part tackling technique particularly attracting the attention of tactical gurus who have declared no team does it better.

Legendary Parramatta half-back and Channel 9 commentator Peter Sterling has marvelled at the capacity of Storm's defenders to get the game played on their terms by using the tackling plan.

Storm was labelled the NRL's dirtiest team this week by 49 of 100 players polled in Rugby League Week magazine's annual survey for their use of wrestling and slowing down tactics.

But Sterling said every team aspired to do it as well as Melbourne and coach Craig Bellamy's men had put a new twist on tackling this season to make them more effective

"They are still the best team at controlling the speed of the ruck area and in today's game that is priceless," Sterling wrote on NRL.com.

"In the past their wrestling may have taken place on the ground, but now they have all but perfected the key part of the tackle while the ball-carrier is still standing.

"Invariably the first contact in defence is made high with at least two tacklers holding the man and stopping any off-load. A low tackler will then come in to finish off and in unison all will put the attacker down.

"However, the secret to their success is that in putting the ball-carrier on the deck they twist him so that he lands on his back or in a position that makes it impossible to quickly play the ball.

"The choreography of their work makes it difficult for referees to find cause to penalise and allows the Storm to control the tempo of the contest. Skipper Cameron Smith is a genius at this."

The technique was on show in last Friday night's win over the Brisbane Broncos and is the key to their ability to keep opposition at bay. Storm is the best defensive outfit in the NRL after 18 rounds and has conceded just six points per game during its eight-match winning streak.

Smith said plenty of work in the pre-season was behind Storm's capacity to slow the game, which would be crucial as the game moved under the reign of new referees boss Bill Harrigan.

"The speed of the ruck has definitely changed this year, that is more to do with Bill Harrigan being in charge of the referees. He tends to like the game to flow a bit rather than see a lot of penalties," Smith said.

"We do things within the rules and if we are slowing it down too much we get penalised. But we do what we are allowed and we can try to slow it down as much as we can. I am sure every team tries do that, it's just that we probably do it a little better or work at it harder at training.

"In the pre-season we do a lot of work on our play-the-ball defence, trying to get guys on their backs, slow the ball down. It's a huge part of the game and if you're really good at wrestling, it gives you that one or two seconds extra to get your defence set and you see teams trying to do it ... "

Storm forward Ryan Hinchcliffe, whose 538 tackles this year has him behind only Smith (717) at Melbourne, said the style wasn't so much new this season, but the players were better at it.

"It's something we have always tried to do. I think this year we have been a little bit more consistent at it. I think that has been the difference," Hinchcliffe said.

"And we had a lot of new players this year so we had to spend time in the pre-season teaching them how we defend.

"But it's not that we have done more work on it this year; we just know the importance of getting it right."
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Well that is a first - Great to hear Bill H come out and say what he did- Great read - Thanks for that.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The refs must get sick of everyone complaining. They know better than anyone that everyone does it.

Gotta say though, the way we control the ruck is very impressive.
Little things like having more players in tackles makes a big difference. Ref says "held" and then "move" and player a 1 and 2 move but by the time player 3 moves a second or 2 extra has gone yet to a referee it all seems normal.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

It's always a risky maneuver to have 3 defenders in tackles because 1 can easily get caught offside, or not square at marker. Storm do it so well because they're super fit as well as so well-drilled.
When other teams attempt this they'll be penalized for the above-mentioned reasons. And then watch 'em cry foul. No Sydney team will ever have the discipline to train as hard as Storm I don't believe.
And by the time any other club does master this technique we'll have already perfected a newer, better technique!!
Storm!! ~one step ahead, and two games clear!! GO STORM!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Sterlo hasn't got much right lately

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

what really impresses me & must be part of the wrestling techniques they practice is how when Storm players are tackled they more often than not manage to go down in the best position to have quick play the ball - on their front & facing the right way - they also do this much better than other teams
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I believe once again this was a media driven plan to get something we do banned. Watching the Manly/Tigers game Friday night. This kind of tackle was done a lot by both teams. Harrigan points out that the Broncos alos do this tackle.

The media has been on about this tackle all season, but the only problem the people in charge have choossen to stop is the third man in coming at the legs at pace, like the Rabbits players do. But when that was banned where was all the stories about how dirty the Rabbits are?

Also, can someone tell me have a jouralist can write that Blair has signed with the Panthers when he no proof? Since when can papers make things and I thought we had a law in this country that the media has to tell the truth.

So if the can print one sentence lies, does that mean stories about salary cap rorting are true?
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote:Also, can someone tell me have a jouralist can write that Blair has signed with the Panthers when he no proof? Since when can papers make things and I thought we had a law in this country that the media has to tell the truth.

So if the can print one sentence lies, does that mean stories about salary cap rorting are true?
:lol:
I listened with the old magician's warning lively in my mind; believe nothing of what you hear—and only half of what you see!
This doth apply most surely to the writings of those of a journalistic bent.
On the slippery campaign against our tackling prowess............
'tis humorous to see 'Hollywood' drive long nails into the coffin of the argument :twisted:
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Well dont know what to think of Bill H now -
After watching storm eels game - REFs clearly had a agenda - AGAINST THE STORM
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

mystormboys wrote:Sterlo hasn't got much right lately
He got the call right tonight about us getting hard done by with the penalties and some dubious calls.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm not sure whether they were targeting our tackling technique last night or just targeting us? Maybe when I get a chance to watch replay it may clarify some of those decisions that even had Parra fans dumbfounded?
But Sisa and Billy collide in goal, the ball goes 2m backwards in goal and its ruled a knock on. Sisa Waqa is clotheslined and almost knocked out. Penalty? No, and play is allowed to resume around his semi-conscious body. And then moments later they're awarded a penalty for a minor bump on the kicker. It was a penalty-fest which I hope doesn't continue for the remainder of the season against sides like Manly and Dragons, and into the finals.
Jaryd Hayne was at his dirty scum worst too. He'd drop elbows into Billy's head ever time he tackled him. The smallest response by Bill and Parra would get another late-set penalty.
But through Cam's brilliance, Norrie and Bromwich's hard defense against MoiMoi, we managed to awake from a slumber and pile on some tries. I always knew our fitness would see us win when things got tense again with 5 to go.
Parra always play their best game against us. If they played 24 games/yr like that then they'd be 2nd instead of 2nd last. Maybe they should visualize every team they play in a Storm jersey??

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

THEY WERE CLEARLY TARGETING US,IT WAS NOTHING LESS THAN OUTRIGHT CHEATING,AND IT IS ABOUT TIME SOMETHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT.iN THE AFTER GAME SHOW GARY FREEMAN WAS AS CLOSE AS DAMM IN SAYING SO,AND I WOULD HAVE LOVE TO JUST ONCE MAKE THEM ALL ACCOUNTABLE..AND CLEARLY IT WILL GET WORSE THE CLOSER WE GET TO THE FINALS.. ( sorry about the caps,I didnt realise till I had nearly finished and I couldnt be bothered doing it all again) :evil:
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I had to laugh when Tallis spoke about Storm's 'ill discipline' before I realised.
Commentators are banned from criticising officials :?
It was fairly obvious that quite a few Eels players had an agenda to play for penalties rather than rely on their teams skills.This was telegraphed quite clearly in news media reports in the week leading to the game.
ANY team that attempts to use this gambit,(or any offical who falls for it) will have to suffer the consequences,(and the public scrutiny)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

every time chin mannah got tackled he stood up and lifted his arms in the air to try and get a penalty.what a sook