Maurice Blair to Penrith?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Interesting article that states that he was brought to Melbourne as GI's replacement. He was actually supposed to be Finchy's replacement, and was 5/8 until getting injured in final trial against Brisbane. Champion and Stanley were 1st and 2nd choice right side centre.
It also states that he lost 10kg in off-season and that he came resembling a prop and later resembled a half. I think Smithy said something like this about him a few weeks ago?
If he's chasing money or is lazy and doesn't want another tough off-season then he'd probably leave.
But if he's serious about becoming a top NRL player in a successful team than he'd be crazy not to stay. So far he's shown glimpses of brilliance whilst surrounded by brilliant players guided by brilliant coaches.
After another year with Melbourne his value and skills would increase massively. Another year at Penrith and he'll fade into rugby league oblivion.
With the likes of Fonua and Niko breathing down his neck then it will take another tough off-season to retain his spot in the centres

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Melbourne Storm
Additions: Jack Afamasaga (France) - Mid Season
Ryan Hoffman (Wigan)
Losses: Chase Stanley (Dragons)
Beau Champion (Titans)
Adam Blair (Wests Tigers)
Re-Signed: Billy Slater
Matt Duffy
Kevin Proctor
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Gareth Widdop

2012 Coach: Craig Bellamy

This is from the NRL site under 2012 player transfers. This page already has Civoniceva as a Bronco in 2012 and that was just announced. If Blair had offically signed with the Panthers it should be on here.

Bu tin saying that the Panthers must have a lot of money to spend now Civoniceva has gone, so Blair might still go.
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm guessing under the 'old school rules' of dictator Gould,Petro will not be the last to head for home.
Blair would be 'un-wise' to return to a bash is best culture just when the Storm have weaned him off KFC & Big Macs.

You can only show the paths it is up to the traveller to choose the journey.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

word is heighington has signed with the panthers too, but wests wont release him. i think word has just got out about goulds hit list and people are taking it as signings for the club.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh to be a fly on Ronnies wall when Bellamy found out Bobby hadnt signed his option yet.

Wouldnt have been pretty.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bellamy would be the last coach to try to force someone to stay who didn't want to. It goes against the whole ethos of the club and the culture he's helped to create.
If Bobby was to leave, as has so many before him, I'm sure Craig would be disappointed. But he'd be far less disappointed than to see the man put in less than 100% in pre-season training and during season 2012.
It will be far more of Bobby's loss than the Storm's loss if Blair were to not activate his 2012 contract.
After seeing Mahe Fonua in flight a couple of times in the U20's and Elijah Niko on tele in QLD cup you can guarantee that without 100% effort no centre will have a spot in next year's squad ahead of these guys.

Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

What in interesting little article - Bold Gould clears decks at Panthers
And look at the "S word" that kick starts the article ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Good ole Super Gus. Silly old fool or genius, or both? If the Panthers do well he'll take the credit for cleansing and rebuilding the club. If they fail to do well Ivan Cleary will be shown the same door that hit Matt Elliott on his way out.
Honestly I reckon Blair's a fool if he goes back to the Panthers.

stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

A former Panther himself, Blair returned to Centrebet Stadium last week and was spotted in discussions with Penrith officials.

Blair joined Melbourne on a two-year deal at the end of 2010 but enjoys an option in his favour for next season.

While Melbourne were furious to learn of Penrith's attempt to sneak under their guard, the Sydney club remains confident it can re-claim the vastly improved Queenslander with a handsome offer.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6102322437

This explains why the story has legs!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

This is the same guy that wrote last Saturday that Blair had already signed with Penrith. Now he was only there talking to them and Melbourne Storm did not know about it.

Given we only had a five day turn around last week between games. How much time did Blair get time to fly to Sydney and back. In between flying back from Canberra, recovery, training and team meetings. Surely if he did miss any of these, the club new about it.

If he was in Penrith, maybe it was a personal commitment.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This rumor just wont go away. Hope he stays, he may feel like he owes something to Bellyache but Bellamy will probably tell him he owes the club nothing and to look after himself and his family.(Who I'm assuming is still down here in Penrith)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm actually a bit surprised he has an option in his favor and not ours. If he'd have come from another club as a regular first grader from the previous season (eg Champion) i could understand the option being in the players favor. But given he was very much overweight we he came to us, couldn't get a first grade game elsewhere and there were hardly an abundance of clubs knocking down his door to sign him i'd consider it was more us taking a bigger risk on him and not vice versa hence why i'm a bit surprised it's not in our favor.

I know there's factors like maybe not settling in living in a new city and all that but you'd think being given a life line from a club when not many if any others were interested you'd take what you could get.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Maybe the second year option from Storm was limited in that there was a big IF whether he made the grade or not & its been outplayed by the offer from Penrith. The guy has a 2nd chance to better himself financially & its too good to not consider
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

NOBODY is going to 'better themselves' under Gould ::)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bellamy probably knew what he was capable of but it was still a gamble...he's exceeded all expectations (probably even his own) & he's got a chance to go back & do it for his own club, We all know how that could turn out but the guy might wANT TO TAKE HIS CHANCES. hARD CALL FOR HIM TO MAKE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT - WE ALL KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT DECISION SHOULD BE FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW - sorry, didn't realise the caps button was on :oops: