Who should captain the Storm in 2005?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Who Should Captain the Storm from 2005 onwards?

Poll runs till Mon Jun 20, 2039 12:46 pm

Cameron Smith (Hooker)
36%
Robbie Kearns (Front Row)
29%
Matt Geyer (Utility Back)
14%
David Kidwell (Second Row / Centre)
14%
Matt Orford (Half-back)
7%
Scott Hill (Five-eighth / Lock)
No votes
Steven Bell (Centre)
No votes

Total votes: 14
Billy-Bob
Squall
Squall

It has just occurred to me that with Kearney gone, I don't know who will captain the Storm from next season on.

I think that there are a few players who could do the job quite well, but I should be interested to see who you think should be at the helm of the Melbourne Storm.

Candidates:

1) Cameron Smith. He's my number one choice, even though he is young; he plays Origin for Queensland, can make all the choices from dummy-half or first receiver, is consistent and is extremely mature. We all know that Smith and Slater are recognised as brilliant footballers in their own right, but, unlike Slater (whom we all love, of course), he isn't a "rock star". I think that the players respect him greatly and giving him these responsibilities could help him develop - after all, this is one guy we do not want going anywhere.

2) Robbie Kearns. I'm sorry to be a little ignorant, but I'm not sure whether he is staying on. If he is, his previous captaincy would be in his favour, of course. Now I know that his time wasn't a particularly good period in the Storm's history, but I think that was more the fault of the coach. I think that the sheer weight of his experience should tip the scales in his favour. Not to mention that he's a prop and captains from the forwards can be talismanic when they lead from the front. (e.g. Tallis)

3) Matt Geyer. Another reliable, usually consistent player. He has been struggling with injury a bit, but we know how well he can play when he's in form. In my opinion, Geyer should be moved back to five-eighth and Hill should play lock - I think that Hill needs more space than the five-eighth allows, and Geyer distributes the ball wonderfully for the outside backs. The reason I'm talking about positional changes here is because if Geyer moves to five-eighth, he will able to have a greater mark on the game, and he will therefore be able to exercise the authority of captaincy effectively.

4) David Kidwell. There are a few things about Kidwell which don't put him in a particularly good light, but he can perform a similar role to Kearney. He has turned down lucrative offers to stay with us, and his leadership role amongst the younger Polynesian players has already been noted. Unfortunately, his hot temper and precarious relationship with some referees would be disastrous against a good team whose captain knows how to work the ref. Still, I think that Kidwell has enough potential as a player and as a captain to warrant a place on the list.

5) Matt Orford. There’s always a danger that giving the half-back the captaincy can blunt his on-field performance. I think that Orford could handle it, but he’s certainly not my first choice. Firstly, we don’t know whether he’s going to stay on in the long term, and secondly, there’s always a danger that concentrating so much authority in one player could knock the wind out of the team’s sails if he gets injured. A good example of this danger is Newcastle, and in a sense, the Broncos. (Yes, Lockyear is five-eighth, but it comes to the same thing – this applies to both halves)

6) Scott Hill. Yes, I know. He’s inconsistent, he does crazy things and he isn’t necessarily a leader. Still, he’s a brilliant player, and giving him that position of authority might just help the other players realise that they’re going to have to run in close support with him.

7) Stephen Bell. He’s a great player and I don’t think I need to point out how often Bell has got things going with a steaming try when we’ve been down on the board. He’s one of our most consistent players, and in a team as young as ours, his age should put him in good stead. Furthermore, I have a feeling that he would get on well with the referees.

There we go, there are my candidates. If you think that I have missed out on someone, I'd be happy to add him to the list.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

there was a post about this yesterday i think.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

This is the third one since july! :shock:
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]