Adelaide game

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Show em Howe
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Anybody understand why this game is being played in a city that has no interest in rugby league and will never have a team in the future? Some might say it gives us a chance to watch the team in Adelaide, but lets be honest, there are plenty of opportunities to watch the team interstate every year.

I understand the Dogs are selling the game to make money but why not bring it and play it as a "home" game in Melbourne? Teams like the Kangaroos and Melbourne had reasonable success in the AFL with playing Sydney and Brisbane at "home" interstate. They could charge Storm members $10 a ticket and kids half that, just get a 20,000+ crowd in there. I see no reason why Melbourne Events wouldn't underwrite it.

Clearly the Dogs don't see us as a drawcard in their home town as they have previously taken our game to Gosford - in front of a miserably four figure crowd.

I personally don't think 11 games a season in Melbourne is that great a promotion of the sport, considering we are the second biggest economy in the country.

I'd be interested to hear what other fan's thoughts are on the matter. I just find it a little bizarre.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

The game is being held in Adelaide for the same reason the AFL has games in Darwin, Canberra, Tasmania, etc. It helps to build the profile of the sport and if things go well, it may lead to the Rams being re-admitted to the NRL at some point in the future.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just the same as Souths took their clash with the Broncos to Perth last week, and against us the last couple of years.

I think you'll ve surprised at the turnout for the game in Adelaide. As for playing it in Melbourne, why would the Dogs give us a home advantage?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am so happy to have the game come to adelaide. there is alot of interest in Rugby league over here..In my workplace there is more interest in Rugby league than afl..I am happy to be spreading the "Word of the STORM here in adelaide.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree with the 3 posters above. In fact I think more league games should be played in afl towns than are already, one game a year is not nearly enough to help promote the code.

I wonder if people on this board know that the Storm are in the planning stages of playing a trial game (prob. the Broncos) in Feb. next year in Hobart.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I heard something about that, Hobart game, and I'm not really happy about it to be honest.
It's good for the NRL to promote the sport by taking games interstate, but it's a sell out to the fans and members of those clubs who then one less home games per year.
I can understand cash-strapped clubs such as Cronulla doing this, but I don't understand Souths and Bulldogs, and I especially don't understand Storm taking home games away.
If it were to be moved to Hobart I certainly hope the club will organize cheap, or free, transfers from Melbourne for members.

glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The game is not taking a home game to Hobart. They are taking a trail game aganist the Broncos in February to Hobart. They hardly even play trail games in Melbourne anyway, so it is really no big deal.

If it helps the Storms brand good. Our image is still not the best in a lot of areas.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

My bad. I misread the Febuary and trial bits. Country Victoria would be a better trial location than Tasmania I reckon. They used to play trials in Morwell, why can't they do that, or Geelong, or Warrnambool, or Bendigo, etc? The country Storm fans would be rapped and they're easily accessible by car or train from Melbourne for city-based fans.

stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm all for a trial game in Hobart, but it would be nice to get a trial in a Victorian regional area - especially one that has some RL activity like Geelong Ballarat or Wodonga. We have had enough years of having trial games interstate, surely we can call in some favours for next pre-season.

I also love the game in Adelaide. I went last year - just pick up some cheap airfares and have an excuse for a mid-winter trip to Adelaide. Plenty of Storm supporters and it is enough of a novelty that the locals are interested. I'd rather go there than to a 'real' Bulldogs home game ;)

If it was Storm selling a home game I'd be less enthusastic, but clubs do what they have to.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Show em Howe wrote:Anybody understand why this game is being played in a city that has no interest in rugby league and will never have a team in the future?
1. I know plenty of people (Adelaide residents) who would take great exception to that.
2. To make the game truly national, we need to market it nationally, even if we don't have teams there.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

gallop has shown interest in expanding into SA to start making the comp national, which it needs!

back to trials i think Wodonga would be a great idea as its not too far for melbourne residents to go to, also country vic and nsw residents who dont get many chances to see the guys live.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Can anyone tell me who decides where trials are to be played? Is it the NRL or do the clubs do the organising.

We barely get any here in Victoria and we need them to expose our club more in country areas especially.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

the clubs do - the negotiate between themselves.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Will be interesting to see which way the crowd goes on this one! As far as taking the game to Adelaide,I am not concerned where the Dogs take their games,I would be pissed off however it Melbourne took a home game interstate,and I suppose doggies fans feel the same way!.Not a good thing when you have to go to another state to watch a home game especially when you have a season ticket,and that ticket covers the 12 home games all teams have per season.
I know it is done to raise revenue,but I don't think it is a good move as far as fans are concerened.If the NRL want to promote the game in other states then they should organize some exibition games,I don't know when,but that would be for them to work out,maybe take a few of the trial matches elsewhere...OR maybe a state of Origin or 2,now that would get them all whinging again wouldn't it!!!!
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Show em Howe wrote:Anybody understand why this game is being played in a city that has no interest in rugby league and will never have a team in the future?
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Bulldogs obviously think there is a market in Adelaide, they're selling specific South Australian memberships and they are planning to play a second game there from next season ... possibly more.

From the CEO: "We’re here because we see an opportunity to grow the game in Adelaide, and we want to play many years into the future at the city’s iconic venue – the Adelaide Oval.”

Personally I think he's nuts as he also said this: "playing a side that South Australians can identify with in the Melbourne Storm"
I don't know many South Australians but I know zero who identify with anything to do with Melbourne.

And those taking pity on season ticket holders, don't bother as they get a very good deal - the cheapest in the NRL (GA for $95) with two free away games against Souths and Parramatta.