What's with the small crowds?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
runbillyrun
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I thought that we were going to get much larger crowds at our new purpose built stadium because Olympic Park was basically a s#ithole, but the crowds haven't improved at all.

Hopeless.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

So nice to see that syntax - punctuation & attitude carry through regardless of nom de plume ::) Shame I can't confirm your IP address :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

It is a fair question, though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

What was the crowd last night?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

9600 somthing like that
runbillyrun
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Bourbon Rat wrote:So nice to see that syntax - punctuation & attitude carry through regardless of nom de plume ::) Shame I can't confirm your IP address :twisted:
Idiot.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bourbon Rat wrote:So nice to see that syntax - punctuation & attitude carry through regardless of nom de plume ::) Shame I can't confirm your IP address :twisted:
i was thinking the same thing! for someone 'new' has come in pretty hot and heavy imo.
runbillyrun
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

storming wrote:
Bourbon Rat wrote: for someone 'new' has come in pretty hot and heavy imo.
I'm always "hot and heavy" darling. If you wanna hook up for a good time let me know! ;)
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Heraldsun1's point is still valid. What's with the small crowds. They were better last year despite playing for nothing.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Honestly, I think we're going to stay at around the 9000-12000 region for the rest of the year - except for the games against the Broncos and the Dragons. It sucks because we all know how great the game is, and we all know how great the stadium is - last night's game aside, we all know how great the team is, too. Where is everyone? Rugby league at AAMI Park is too good to be seen by so few.
runbillyrun
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

What's worrying is that the Rebels are getting much larger crowds....and they are basically crap
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

runbillyrun wrote:I thought that we were going to get much larger crowds at our new purpose built stadium because Olympic Park was basically a s#ithole, but the crowds haven't improved at all.

Hopeless.
Possible reasons from my point of view:
1. Salary cap saga
2. Admission prices
3. Poor NRL scheduling
4. Always live against the gate (Foxtel)
5. Some switching over to Rebels
6. Lack of promotion of rugby league by Ch9 into Melbourne to help grow the
game.
StormSergeant
Squall
Squall

I think CC has pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Some of the admission prices aren't exactly reasonable, I know its a quality stadium, but lets not over price ourselves out of the market. The Rebels are an interesting thing because Union has taken its time and spent heaps of dosh on the game here in Melbourne and they've been patient about putting a team in Melbourne. Plus, all Kiwis and other Islander nations are massive Union playing countries, so they are gonna get higher crowds to Union games cause everyone has grown up with the sport. Its only now that the NZ league team is starting to become more successful that league is getting more popular now. In regards to Ch 9 and NRL promoting the sport in Melbourne, well, we've been over this time and time again. Personally, I'd rather all our home games be at 7:30 (on Saturday night/Friday night) than at 5:30. I think we traditionally draw more people at 7:30 then at 5:30 IMHO.
I do also think that once we start seeing the 'bigger clubs' come down to Melbourne, the crowds will go up again.

SS
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

One thing I have noticed is that we are not getting as much coverage in the print media - ie. newspapers. A couple of years ago, I used to buy the Herald Sun every Friday - it would have pretty good coverage - 2 pages, colour with the team lists and a preview of the weekend's game. Same again on the Monday - pretty good coverage of the round in general, generally with pictures (colour).

I bought the Herald Sun last Friday and I could not even find a single article about NRL - perhaps it was too small for me to notice, there certainly were no pictures.

I did notice advertising for Storm.

Maybe it is 'Out of Sight - Out of Mind'. Has anyone else noticed the reduction in coverage, particularly in the Herald Sun?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

StormSergeant wrote:I think CC has pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Some of the admission prices aren't exactly reasonable, I know its a quality stadium, but lets not over price ourselves out of the market. The Rebels are an interesting thing because Union has taken its time and spent heaps of dosh on the game here in Melbourne and they've been patient about putting a team in Melbourne. Plus, all Kiwis and other Islander nations are massive Union playing countries, so they are gonna get higher crowds to Union games cause everyone has grown up with the sport. Its only now that the NZ league team is starting to become more successful that league is getting more popular now. In regards to Ch 9 and NRL promoting the sport in Melbourne, well, we've been over this time and time again. Personally, I'd rather all our home games be at 7:30 (on Saturday night/Friday night) than at 5:30. I think we traditionally draw more people at 7:30 then at 5:30 IMHO.
I do also think that once we start seeing the 'bigger clubs' come down to Melbourne, the crowds will go up again.

SS

I hate 5.30pm on Saturday.

My daughter had a basketball prelim final at 6pm in Knox on saturday so we couldnt go to the game.

even whenn she had 4pm B/B games on sat afternoon it was tough to get to a 5.30pm game.

7.30pm is a much better time
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time