Widdop re-signs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

very good to hear! loyal and has plenty of developing to do still. will be a superstar!
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Brilliant article on young Gareth Widdop. Did not know he was part of a road crew.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/a ... 6057771843

THREE years ago Gareth Widdop was turning a stop-go sign for the council and relying on his 19-year-old girlfriend to help pay bills.

Now, the pair are engaged, parents to eight-month-old Braydon and Widdop has inked a two-year deal with Melbourne Storm worth about $150,000 a season.

The young Englishman moved to Melbourne with his parents as a 15-year-old.

He came through the Victorian Rugby League system and its affiliated state representative squads to make a transition to the NRL's under-20s competition and was named its fullback of the year in 2009, the same year he scored the winning try in that season's grand final for Storm.

Last year, Storm coaches decided Widdop would be the long-term answer at five-eighth. After teething issues in the pre-season, when he almost lost his spot to Maurice Blair, the 22-year-old has begun to shine.

Widdop, who has played four Tests for England, has earned rave reviews, with commentators enthralled by his step, vision and ability to take on defensive lines.

Other teams noticed, too, and Widdop said there were "a few options out there", including in the UK, as he made his decision to stay.

But he said Melbourne had become home and after the club supported him through his development, he never wanted to leave.

"My main priority was trying to stay at the club, it's what I wanted to do, and its worked out well for me and my family," he said.

"There was a bit of interest from overseas but there was no plan of mine to go over there. I wanted to stay in the NRL."

Widdop's numbers in key playmaking stats - line-breaks, line-break assists and try-assists - have him among the game's best, earning plenty of plaudits, but the five-eighth said outside praise meant little.

"It's good to have that recognition but I don't take too much notice," he said.

"I had expectations on myself which I think I have fulfilled. But it's a long season, so I'm not getting too far ahead of myself."

Widdop was keen to recognise the support of his fiancee Carley, a Melbourne girl, in his early days of working towards his NRL dream.

"I was working when I was in the under-20s. I'd met (Carley) and she was looking after me a little bit. She was working and supporting me," he said.

"I was working on the roads, doing the stop-go sign. But I always had the desire and passion to make it in the top grade. I had two good years in the 20s and it has all come to this.

"Now its my turn to look after her. She's born and bred in Melbourne ... so she was happy to stay.

"And there were a lot of benefits me staying in Melbourne; good coaches and good players around me. Two years is a good deal, I'm really happy."

THE "Queenslander" spirit will ensure Maroons bolter Dane Nielsen won't be overawed against NSW in Game 1 of State-of-Origin, coach Mal Meninga says.

The Melbourne Storm centre was confirmed as superstar Greg Inglis's replacement, ensuring he'll make his Origin debut against NSW next week along with Jharal Yow Yeh.

Yow Yeh celebrates an Origin call-up barely a fortnight after his Test debut.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Excellent news but i had a feeling he'd stay. Can anone confirm whether Gareth's parents were settled living here or did they move back to the UK? I only ask because that arseclown the mole in this weeks RLW wrote "Rival clubs were desperate to snare brilliant Storm youngster Gareth Widdop for 2012 but some smart behind the scenes work from the Storm, helping Widdop's parents re-locate from England ensured the classy five-eighth remained in bleak city"

I could've sworn i read in another thread on here not so long ago that his parents were already living here.....
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

they live in melbourne....they havent lived in the UK for a while

How cute is the pic of gareth carly and braydon in the herald sun today

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:Excellent news but i had a feeling he'd stay. Can anone confirm whether Gareth's parents were settled living here or did they move back to the UK? I only ask because that arseclown the mole in this weeks RLW wrote "Rival clubs were desperate to snare brilliant Storm youngster Gareth Widdop for 2012 but some smart behind the scenes work from the Storm, helping Widdop's parents re-locate from England ensured the classy five-eighth remained in bleak city"

I could've sworn i read in another thread on here not so long ago that his parents were already living here.....
from all the reports i've read, it sounded like he arrived in australia 6 years ago with his parents.

unless they went back to the UK, that would imply they were here in Melb all along.

btw.....don't sydney people have an excessively severe hang up about Melbourne, esp in the denigrating way they describe the world's most liveable city

ask any Melbournite about Sydney and they generally say...."who cares" rather than bagging the crap out that city

nre
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Was "bleak city" a quote or a typo? I hint a LOT of jealousy if the former.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:Was "bleak city" a quote or a typo? I hint a LOT of jealousy if the former.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
It was a quote mate. You wouldn't expect anything less from that knob and most of the journos who throw in that term at every second opportunity up there.
Melbourne_belle
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Maybe the Storm helped them come back to Melb from Perth as they did move there for awhile.

Agree re: Carley she looked gorgeous as always, she is a super sweet girl as well
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

I was so happy when i first heard this news.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Melbourne_belle wrote:Maybe the Storm helped them come back to Melb from Perth as they did move there for awhile.

Agree re: Carley she looked gorgeous as always, she is a super sweet girl as well

I think they live in a Caravan Park in Altona.
His Dad is a Bin man and his Mum is a dinner lady,she also helps on the school crossingi heard.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

BIG JIM wrote:
Melbourne_belle wrote:Maybe the Storm helped them come back to Melb from Perth as they did move there for awhile.

His Dad is a Bin man and his Mum is a dinner lady,she also helps on the school crossing i heard.

Can you see how easy it is to make things up.

I personally know the Widdop family and some of the reports in the papers and also on here are ininaccurate.Gareths parents came back to Melbourne on their own accord not so Gareth would sign and certainly without the help of the Melbourne Storm Club.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lol i thought u had been hacked BIG JIM

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Melbourne_belle
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

BIG JIM wrote:
BIG JIM wrote:

His Dad is a Bin man and his Mum is a dinner lady,she also helps on the school crossing i heard.

Can you see how easy it is to make things up.

I personally know the Widdop family and some of the reports in the papers and also on here are ininaccurate.Gareths parents came back to Melbourne on their own accord not so Gareth would sign and certainly without the help of the Melbourne Storm Club.
I haven't made anything up I was only bringing up the point in the article about storm relocating his family from the UK here which is not true at all. I personally know Carley shes a friend. So dont imply that i am making shit up. I don't know his parents well at all so I have no idea why they moved to perth and back and I honestly don't give a shit.