What did we think of the new boys?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Discounting Kostjasyn because he has already played last year and we already know that he is a good solid player. I think that M.Blair and Waqa were quite good last night. A couple of defensive miscommunications which was a bit concerning, but, overall, I would say that the good more than outweighed the bad. The attack down that right hand side late in the game looked very dangerous and I could very easily see a good, long term combination there (do they play left side?) if, as expected Quinny leaves. We would have the option of putting Nielsen to Duffie's side and playing these two on the other maybe.
StormSergeant
Squall
Squall

Blair and Waqa were quite good IMO. I remember seeing Blair play for Penrith and he had a massive gut lol but in the Storm jersey, he looked really trim and really fit! Played quite a good game, wouldn't bother me if he was put into the starting line up for next weeks game. Same with Waqa, good under the high ball and was solid all round.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

They both looked good, id like to see them both get a few more games this season in case they are called upon come finals time.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

blair needed to come in and look for the ball more IMO, and i think he has lost a lot of weight, i remember him in the nsw cup GF last year getting punched by corey payne. he looks a lot trimmer and smarter in highlights i have seen of him this year
StormSergeant
Squall
Squall

Well, Blair is gonna get his chance in the next four weeks as Champion is out injured. Although is Justin O'Neill fit and back from his injury?
heraldsun1
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Champion should not be allowed back in the team. Traitor.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

heraldsun1 wrote:Champion should not be allowed back in the team. Traitor.
OK THAT'S IT!
Repeated warnings and you still can't behave - now I'm getting my bitch on!

BANNED!!
Johns
Squall
Squall

StormSergeant wrote:Well, Blair is gonna get his chance in the next four weeks as Champion is out injured. Although is Justin O'Neill fit and back from his injury?
Not sure, it's frustrating how quiet the club stays about player injuries.

Hopefully he's back on deck soon, once again Quinn was the weak link in our team im a tight game.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Waqa struggled to keep up fitness wise. But that'll change with more game time in first grade. I watched him a little more closely than Blair. Nice to see how he handled the high bomb though. Maurice has always been first grade material, just hasn't had the right coach imo.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I have to disagree with you guys about Quinn, I don't think he was the weakest link in our team. The weakest link were Waqa and Blair. I have watched the game twice now.

He isn't the best player we have but he is better than O'neil and Waqa who don't have the fitness for first grade fo rthe full 80...this will change over this year and I believe they will be in th team consistently next year..Quinn will leave this year to free up some room but he is a solid ball running and is one of our only backs that takes the hard runs and makes metres inside our danger zone
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tigger wrote:
OK THAT'S IT!

BANNED!!
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy tigger!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tigger wrote:
OK THAT'S IT!

BANNED!!

:occasion9:
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I also disagree about Quinn. I think he has been good, not great. I know he drops a few high balls, but they all do now and again. I saw Slater knock one on Saturday night, and Salter is our greatest player. In my opinion Neilson is the weakest link in our team. He drops balls and gets taken into touch every week, and it is always early in the tackle count. The number of times he has done it on first and second tackle makes me scream. It just seems the team has done all the hard work, got down the field and are ready to score, they pass him the ball and it ends with a error. Once he was taken into touch on the first tackle after a great Cronk 40/20 kick. I was so mad at him that night.
runbillyrun
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Neilson is a good defender, but his crabbing across field does irritate me no end.

By the way I'm new here so hi to everyone!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

There's a lot of Quinn haters on this forum and I doubt they'll change their opinion. He's played some great games for us this season (and past seasons) and yet they continue to back him no end. Likewise with Lowrie (whom I picked BOG against Newcastle) and Champion (who's only fault was failing to snatch victory from the Warriors grasp on Anzac Day).
Quinny played great against the Broncs, and he runs straight and hard with the ball every time. He should probably be utilized as a lock/2nd row option because his biggest flaw is the high-ball. Which in the modern game is something the back 3 need to be very good at taking.
Waqa looked good for mine. Blair needs to hunt a bit more, no good being a GI type passenger until the ball's passed or kicked to him. But it was both of their Storm debuts. With a little more Craig-time they'll have a dynamite combination happening I'm sure.
Very exciting stuff Storm fans when we haven't even unleashed Niko or Maori yet.
I'm very impressed with Vea. He improves with every minute on the field. Have you seen the size of the guys arms? Very Waqa-esque.
Thommo was HUGE for us. With the return of Thommo and Manu, and game time for Rory, Waqa, Blair, etc. I think we should handle Origen fairly well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image