Great win (much needed win) ...but poor crowd

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm obvioudsly didn't play all that well across the 80mins but it was great to see the guys knuckle down in the 2nd half and come away with a fairly dominant win in the end.

WTF is the deal with the crowd though.

Even with the kiwi rent a crowd last week, 23500 people was an amazing turnout.

How can Storm then only get 9500 people on a BEAUTIFUL Melbourne Saturday evening in a big game event. Why didn't at least 2/3 of the crowd from last week turn up this week.

At least that would have been a 15 - 16 k crowd.

I am perplexed.

Does anyone have any plausible theories
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The downside of having so many home games in the first half of the season is people cant keep backing up.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I thought we were able to crack the 10-11 k crowd last night. The beauty of the bubbledome is that the crowd can be less than than 10k but the crowd atmosphere and noise still makes it sound so much bigger.

With the Tigers v Lions starting almost at the same time across the road, i am assuming that about 1-2k casual spectators attended that match instead of watching the Storm.

Also, i presume if we had a gutsy win against the Worriers last week, maybe we would have attracted more spectators to witness the Storm that were on a winning streak instead of getting back on the winners list.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

I got to the game early as usual, watched the Under 20's then went across to the MCG for the first quarter of the Tigers game. Then I came back to see Storm (arrived about ten minutes after kick-off) and left just as we scored our last try, to go back to the MCG for the final quarter of the winning (TWO IN A ROW ;D ) Tigers game.
I saw quite a few Storm caps & scarves at the Richmond game and heaps of people who noticed my Storm scarf hanging off my bag asked about our game.
It's a pity when games at the MCG & AAMI are scheduled at or near the same time as I'm sure there are many people who'd go to both games.

Anyhoo, my Storm/Richmond hoodoo is now broken!!!! Both teams CAN win in the same weekend :P ;D
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

same problem across the country! suns/lions are playing the same time on saturday as storm/broncos in Brisbane this weekend, why not stagger it so people could go to both games? the codes need to work together better imo.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

storming wrote:same problem across the country! suns/lions are playing the same time on saturday as storm/broncos in Brisbane this weekend, why not stagger it so people could go to both games? the codes need to work together better imo.
The NRL scheduled that broncos/storm game to take away fans from the lions/suns game, much the same like the afl has always done to us when we've had a final, etc
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

What people do need to remember is that the AFL schedules it's fixture the year before and very rarely do they change dates and/or times at all and then only in extreme circumstances. The finals are quite often scheduled depending on ground availability as well and that is sometimes very un-flexible.
The NRL is the organisation (wow, that's an oxymoron ;) ) who has the ability to work out times beneficial to sport lovers but each code is unwilling to let folk have the best of both worlds.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Tigger wrote: Anyhoo, my Storm/Richmond hoodoo is now broken!!!! Both teams CAN win in the same weekend :P ;D
Isn't that the first time since, like, forever? >:D
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

We've had games at the G before which haven't affected our crowd so badly. I hope our fans have not become a fickle bunch who give up hope after a loss.
Bad luck to them, they missed a great game. And a very gutsy win over some atrocious refereeing. Who'd have ever thought the reffing could be worse than last week?
Anyway I'm looking forward to flying to the Goldy on Friday for Test and then Storm game in Brissy!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

...and it wasn't televised live on either Fox or ch9. Even more reason to expect a better crowd.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It was live on Fox press the red button to choose which game to watch
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

TC wrote:
Tigger wrote: Anyhoo, my Storm/Richmond hoodoo is now broken!!!! Both teams CAN win in the same weekend :P ;D
Isn't that the first time since, like, forever? >:D
Yeah, doesn't happen too often, but that may have something to do with my Tiges form in the past few years cos it aint Storm :lol:

Can you believe it? - TWO IN A ROW!!!!! Go Tiges!!! ;D
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

BIG JIM wrote:It was live on Fox press the red button to choose which game to watch
Was 'live' for me too.......................Just swiped the membership card at the turnsile :lol:

Seriously................We can't keep whining about crowds.If there are AFL games competing with our game we will miss out - FACT.
What I consider criminal is that -
We don't get enough advertising - Sending text messages to the converted doesn't count OK
We don't get FTA coverage in Victoria - Don't think this will ever change whilst 9 & Gallop's arse rule
We don't get incentives for people to experience our game - A regular "Other codes" fan discount could be a winner
People who come to our games WANT to experience 'something different' ! They are going to be subjected to the same ripoff prices for food n drink that they get at AFL games,etc & unfortunately the same heavy handed 'fun police' attitude from ground security,so what are we offering that makes coming to a Storm game 'special' ? and would make people WANT to come back for more ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think the heavy home ground first half of the season is the killer. Before I was a member I only went once a pay period (month) with my kids. That meant I missed an occasional game, but with the schedule so far it is three games a month.

It is a shame being under 10,000 (it seems like ages since we had one of those). I still prefer to have a few block busters that get people to the game like the ANZAC game.
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Michael :P wrote:The downside of having so many home games in the first half of the season is people cant keep backing up.
Don't agree, we roughly have 9,500 members and they usually turn up most weeks. Its the casuals we need to attract. The grounds looks terrible 1/3 full. I think the Storm should make it a weekly attraction for that 20% discount to all afl members or at least reduce the GA price. I am sure its cheaper to get to into afl game at the MCG.

We are always faced with a live against the gate with fox showing our home games and we need to get some of those viewers to the game.