Great win (much needed win) ...but poor crowd

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Does anyone know the logic why we had so many Home games in the first half of the season?

I wondered about this, and there's two views:

1. The Storm wanted them stacked to get early wins on the sheet, and try and bring fans through the gate; or

2. The NRL did this, knowing the second half of the season would see the team struggle, and hurt their premiership chances.

Obviously the second one is the cynical, conspiracists view - whereby the evil Gallop is privately hoping that Storm dont win the premiership because it would be a massive embarrassment and a huge dent to his overblown ego.

I think the draw stinks either way. Its clearly not brining in the fans, despite the good start to the season. And as good as it is, the Storm will be on a plane doing immense travel nearly every week on top of their Origin commitments.

Its not like we're in Sydney where an away game may be a nearby venue every second trip. We will be clocking up the frequent flyer miles like no tomorrow. Seriously - if people don't think this will be a huge task to simply win 50% of our away games in the back half of the season, they have rocks in their heads.

If we get to the top 4 it will be a minor miracle. If we get to the top 2 it will be major one. If we take the minor premiership it will be a holy event with Bellamy to be instantly beatified by the Pope.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Diehard_Storm wrote:Does anyone know the logic why we had so many Home games in the first half of the season?

I wondered about this, and there's two views:

1. The Storm wanted them stacked to get early wins on the sheet, and try and bring fans through the gate; or

2. The NRL did this, knowing the second half of the season would see the team struggle, and hurt their premiership chances.

Obviously the second one is the cynical, conspiracists view - whereby the evil Gallop is privately hoping that Storm dont win the premiership because it would be a massive embarrassment and a huge dent to his overblown ego.

I think the draw stinks either way. Its clearly not brining in the fans, despite the good start to the season. And as good as it is, the Storm will be on a plane doing immense travel nearly every week on top of their Origin commitments.

Its not like we're in Sydney where an away game may be a nearby venue every second trip. We will be clocking up the frequent flyer miles like no tomorrow. Seriously - if people don't think this will be a huge task to simply win 50% of our away games in the back half of the season, they have rocks in their heads.

If we get to the top 4 it will be a minor miracle. If we get to the top 2 it will be major one. If we take the minor premiership it will be a holy event with Bellamy to be instantly beatified by the Pope.
Well Diehard....I reckon we should all rock on down to Harvey World Travel very shortly and book our tickets to Rome ......because I wanna be in St Peters Square when Craig and players are paraded on the balcony of the Vatican with the Pope.

Saint Craig.....the patron Saint of rising from the dead after being completely f%&$ed over by Gallop and his NRL muppets.
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

I'm not looking forward to the big SIX WEEKS between home games between Round 14 and Round 20.

2 away games (Tigers and Warriors)
followed by the Bye
2 more away games (Bulldogs and Raiders)

That is going to feel like FOREVER between AAMI Park visits. By the time Round 21 (the Broncos) comes around we are going to be so hungry for some live action.

On the plus side - hopefully we miss the worst of the winter weather during that time (have to try and find something positive with the schedule).
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

perhaps another (slightly cynical sounding) reason for all these home games is the nrl doesn't want our good form to translate into members and so by cramming all our home games together early on, even if we do win, it becomes uneconomical to sign up as a new member.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Without a doubt, our commercials are great, however I can't help but feel that they're a bit too serious. At a Storm game, you get an experience unlike anything you'd get at any other sporting event in Melbourne. You've got the best game in the world played in one of the best stadiums in the world. Not only that, it's a fun atmosphere - music, fireworks, cheerleaders, the roof's fairy lights - all that good stuff. Maybe next year when putting together our promotional campaign they should consider taking a lighter approach - put the players in the commercials to create a bond with the fans (and potential fans). Focus on the spectacle, the gathering of people from far and wide. Right now, our games are promoted as just another sporting event - we've got enough of those. Build it as more than that and get the people excited.

Also, while the Quad Pass is great, I'm sure most of the people who signed up for one are saving their passes for the Dragons and Broncos games - possibly already using one for the Warriors game. Maybe next year we can have two tiers - a three game pass and a five game rivalry pass - choose any three games for the first one and for the rivalry pass, gain access to games against the Broncos, Dragons and Warriors (depending on the draw - the Eels could be a substitution if we don't play against one of those teams at home) plus two other games of your choice. What would stop someone from getting a three game pass and using those for the rivalry games? Nothing. The value of the five game pass would be better, though, so I'm thinking most would opt for that instead.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think it's been favourable for our newly formed, and mostly young, squad to get a lot of home wins notched up before the drain of travelling is introduced. Hopefully by the 2nd half our team is gelling so well that a road trip is like a team bonding session.

And as mentioned above. If you want to help the boys then start saving your pennies for away trips. I'm going to Brissy this weekend. And i'm definately going to at least one of the Bulldogs in Adelaide or raiders in Canberra games, hopefully both.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:Without a doubt, our commercials are great, however I can't help but feel that they're a bit too serious. At a Storm game, you get an experience unlike anything you'd get at any other sporting event in Melbourne. You've got the best game in the world played in one of the best stadiums in the world. Not only that, it's a fun atmosphere - music, fireworks, cheerleaders, the roof's fairy lights - all that good stuff. Maybe next year when putting together our promotional campaign they should consider taking a lighter approach - put the players in the commercials to create a bond with the fans (and potential fans). Focus on the spectacle, the gathering of people from far and wide. Right now, our games are promoted as just another sporting event - we've got enough of those. Build it as more than that and get the people excited.

Also, while the Quad Pass is great, I'm sure most of the people who signed up for one are saving their passes for the Dragons and Broncos games - possibly already using one for the Warriors game. Maybe next year we can have two tiers - a three game pass and a five game rivalry pass - choose any three games for the first one and for the rivalry pass, gain access to games against the Broncos, Dragons and Warriors (depending on the draw - the Eels could be a substitution if we don't play against one of those teams at home) plus two other games of your choice. What would stop someone from getting a three game pass and using those for the rivalry games? Nothing. The value of the five game pass would be better, though, so I'm thinking most would opt for that instead.
Well put absentee, I love the new ads too but the points that you`ve raised about the atmosphere at the games is something that hopefully the club can use in promotion some time soon. I know a number of people who have attended games for the first time and have commented on both the stadium and the atmosphere during the games. The only thing that I wish they would change on game day, and I freely concede that it is a small and petty thing in the light of more important issues, is that I wish they would get rid of the second mascot Boom. Is it just me or is there anyone else who cringes slightly when that music starts and and it staggers out on to the field, only to barely manage to walk 20 metres before it is guided back down the race? Even my 10yr old daughter and her friend who come to the games just roll their eyes and completely ignore it when it`s on the field. Love Storm Man but really would like to see the back of Boom for good
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

We have so many home games at the start of the season because the Knights and Dragons could not play at home until about round 5 because of work on their grounds. The Cowboys also play a lot of game at home at the start of the season, but their second half it not as bad as ours.

If the NRL was going to make a bad draw for any team it was always going to be us.

We have had bad draw before. In 2006 we did not play home until about round five because of the Commonwealth games, and last year we had a few on the road early in the seasaon because Aami Park was not done.

I do not like it either, but I have to belive we will survive.

One good thing is the Test match was meant to be played in Christchurch and our 4 rep players would have to fly 3 hours and back up within 24 hours.
It was moved because of the earth quakes and now they only have to drive 90 minutes to play again.

Trying to make everything postive. Not always easy but worth a try.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Boom is a terrible mascot. However, it's part of the NRL's kids mascot range so I guess we're going to have to put up with it. Personally, I'd like to see Storm Man run Boom over with his quad bike.
JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

storming wrote:same problem across the country! suns/lions are playing the same time on saturday as storm/broncos in Brisbane this weekend, why not stagger it so people could go to both games? the codes need to work together better imo.
They don't want to. That's the issue here.

There is no reason the Storm couldn't have asked the NRL to switch our game to a 5:30pm kick off. Even though that would still mean missing the 1st quarter if you are a Tigers or Lions fan.

The Storm should sit down with the NRL & say "Hey, here is a Collingwood game at 2pm. Let's have a 5:30pm game so as to get a few of them over.

Still, the biggest reason our crowds are low is because A) we have competition from the Rebels & B) are playing all our games at the start of the year to try to compete with them. I don't think this has worked awful well.

Maybe next year spread games more evenly throughout the year so that people who have left us & chosen to support the Rebels in the earlier month of the year can come back and attend our games in the run-in to the finals. O0

JF
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

mahoobla wrote:I'm not looking forward to the big SIX WEEKS between home games between Round 14 and Round 20.

2 away games (Tigers and Warriors)
followed by the Bye
2 more away games (Bulldogs and Raiders)

That is going to feel like FOREVER between AAMI Park visits. By the time Round 21 (the Broncos) comes around we are going to be so hungry for some live action.

On the plus side - hopefully we miss the worst of the winter weather during that time (have to try and find something positive with the schedule).
A great view on what is in front of us.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:Boom is a terrible mascot. However, it's part of the NRL's kids mascot range so I guess we're going to have to put up with it. Personally, I'd like to see Storm Man run Boom over with his quad bike.

Now that`s an image that has put a smile on my face, and I know someone who has recently acquired a new quad bike. If Storm Man can`t get him, I`m pretty sure this guy could. Maybe they could come at him from both sides :-D :-D
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

The clash with the Richmond game was a problem for me too. I chose the MCG this time around.
We may have 9500 members, but mine only gets me to 5 games and I choose those games carefully. Backing up the week after the Warriors game and clashing with my AFL team was always going to be difficult.
I fear a similar crowd may be there for the Raiders game in the graveyard 5.30pm timeslot (I will be at that game).
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

haha Boom is the dumbest looking mascot imaginable!! My daughter's scared of him. She loves Storm man though. He rocks!! It's a shame he can't use his bike at AAMI like he did the graveyard. But he should maybe get amongst the fans a bit more. I've noticed him in Cat 1 Eastern Stand, but never with the riff-raff in the Northern Stand.

Good point glennb. If the Test was played in Christchurch we'd be stuffed on Saturday night. Especially losing Smith and Blair, on top of our injured forwards Manu and Thommo.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I like seeing Storm Man walking along the boundaries and interacting with the fans - high fiving kids and pretending that it hurts, trying to sneak off with someone's bottle of Coke, letting opposition supporters know that he's got his eyes on them. I like that he's more like a real person and not just a guy in a giant costume. I'd like to see him dressed exactly like the club logo, though - that's what his costume used to look like, didn't it? I dunno, I just don't think a superhero-looking mascot should have his name on his chest. Do you see Batman walking around with "Batman" across his chest?