Billy Slater article in the Sun

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Did anybody else read the article in yesterday's sun about Billy? Very good reading. Suggests that he is one of the best fullbacks of all time, if not the best.

Big statement.

Here is how he stacks up against some of the best:

Billy Slater 186 NRL Games, 2 World Club Challenge Games, 14 Origins (Queensland), 13 Tests (Australia) - 215 Games
114 NRL Tries, 9 Origin Tries, 16 Test Tries - 141 Tries
2 NRL Grand Final Wins, 1 World Club Challenge Win, 3 Origin Series Wins, 1 Four Nations Win
2 Losing NRl Grand Finals, 1 Losing World Club Challenge, 1 Losing World Cup, 1 Losing Four Nations, 2 Losing Origin Series
2 Storm Best & Fairests, 3 Member Player of the Year Awards, 1 Golden Boot, 1 Wally Lewis Medal
126.47 Metres/Game
78 Try Assists
80 Line Break Assists
1 Clive Churchill Medal

Clive Churchill
157 NSWRL Matches, 37 Interstate Matches (New South Wales), 1 Interstate Match (Queensland), 37 Tests (Australia) - 232 Matches
13 NSWRL Tries - 13 Tries
77 NSWRL Goals, 10 Test Goals - 87 Goals
Rugby League Immortal
6 NSWRL Premierships (South Sydney)
Fullback in New South Wales and Australian Teams of the Century

Graeme Langlands
227 NSWRL Matches, 33 Interstate Matches (New South Wales), 34 Test Matches (Australia) - 304 Matches
86 NSWRL Tries, 19 Interstate Tries, 17 Test Tries - 122 Tries
648 NSWRL Goals, 40 Interstate Goals, 69 Test Goals - 757 Goals
4 NSWRL Premierships, 2 World Cup Wins
Rugby League Immortal
Centre in New South Wales and Australian Teams of the Century

Darren Lockyer
339 NRL Matches, 2 Super League Origins (Queensland), 4 Super League Tests (Australia), 32 Origins (Queensland), 54 Tests (Australia), 2 Matches NRL All Stars - 433 Matches
120 NRL tries, 2 Super League Test Tries, 8 Origin Tries, 34 Test Tries - 164 Tries
341 NRL Goals, 1 Super League Origin Goal, 22 Origin Goals, 31 Test Goals - 395 Goals
18 NRL Field Goals, 1 Super League Test Field Goal, 2 Origin Field Goals, 2 Test Field Goals - 23 Field Goals
4 NRL Premierships, 1 World Cup Title
Golden Boot Winner (Twice)
Dally M Winner
Queensland Team of the Century Fullback
Clive Churchill Medal

I know it's hard to compare eras, I know the others were all goal kickers and I know that Langlands spent time as a centre and Lockyer has spent half of his career at Five Eighth, but Billy stacks up pretty well statistically at least.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/s ... 6044206917

Storm's fullback Billy Slater is quietly making his mark as one of rugby league's greatest

AS Melbourne Storm thrashed Gold Coast in Round 2, a seasoned Brisbane journalist couldn't hide his enthusiasm for AAMI Park, which he called the perfect place to watch rugby league.

And while he thought the attendance of 12,391 was "pretty good for Melbourne", it also made him pause.

Storm superstar fullback Billy Slater had just crossed for his 114th career try to break Matt Geyer's club record.

Slater dominated that match, as he did in Rounds 4, 5 and 6 in what has been a breathtaking start to the season. But at that history-making moment the stadium was at full voice but really only half full.

"I wonder if the people that aren't here know what they're missing," the visiting scribe said.

"They get to see one of the best that has ever played the game every other week. I hope they know that."

For those that don't know, Slater is that good, as good as there has ever been in fact, and some knowledgeable rugby league types couldn't have been more glowing in their praise for the 27-year-old who, having signed a new contract, should play out his career in Melbourne.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Billy Slater
Is Billy Slater one of the greats of rugby league? Yes
Not yet, but he will be
No Vote now
Related Coverage
Billy backs switch pair to kick on Herald Sun, 3 days ago
Storm sign Slater for life FoxSports, 10 Apr 2011
Slater is number one says Hayne FoxSports, 6 Apr 2011
Billy the Kid vows to try even harder Courier Mail, 20 Mar 2011
Slater keen for battle with Stewart Herald Sun, 9 Mar 2011
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The man who wrote the book on Dally Messenger, rugby league's revered "Little Master", put Slater in elite company by comparing him to the NRL immortal.

"Like Dally, Slater always seems to turn up in the right place at precisely the wrong time for his opponents," league historian Sean Fagan said.

"Both were excellent individualists who could take a game by the scruff of the neck themselves, but also knew that combining with their teammates was equally important and profitable for victory.

"But what I like about Slater, that was similar to Dally, was that sometimes their efforts all turned to mud -- like in the 2008 World Cup final (when an errant Slater pass resulted in the game-winning try for the Kiwis) -- and they don't let that failure on the big stage define the rest of their game or career.

"And like Dally, Slater is often maligned by fans of other clubs -- a sure sign that he is seen as the man making the difference between winning and losing."

Slater's elevation to the greats is a long rise from his days as "Billy the Pest", a tag given to the youngster by Vince O'Brien, a long-time servant of the Innisfail Brothers club.

He watched a cheeky young buck play junior footy and once got involved in a game of touch with his family.

"And he wouldn't get out of the road. He wanted to be in the ruck, then back at second receiver, run the ball, make the kicks. He wanted to do everything," O'Brien said.

"It's a trait of the greats, they want to be in the action all the time."

O'Brien was the man who received a letter from proud local Kevin Barry in 2008 who suggested the local sports oval should bear the name of Innisfail's most famous football son.

"It went to council and was ratified, so we named the main oval at Callendar Park the Billy Slater Oval. He would have only been maybe 26 when we did that, so it's not bad for a player still with plenty to give," O'Brien said.

It's an honour not even afforded to Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer, who is considered a certainty to be named a rugby league immortal.

"We had a street parade for him back in 2004 as well after he scored 'that' try for Queensland in his first State-of-Origin series," O'Brien said. "It was the first time we had a parade like that for a sports star."

The try O'Brien referred to remains one of the best Origin has seen. Slater, in just his second game for the Maroons, produced a chip-and-chase try that propelled him to stardom.

His efforts moved veteran Channel 9 commentator Ray Warren to label the 20-year-old "Billy the Kid". Warren has called all the greats, and seen plenty more, but rates Slater his No.1 fullback.

"I often said he was the busiest I have ever seen. Now I am sure he is the best I have ever seen," Warren said.

"I didn't see Dally or Clive Churchill, and with all due respect to other greats I did see, I have no hesitation saying he's the best fullback I have ever seen."

League pundits know how good Slater is. Andrew Johns called him a "genius" during last week's win over Penrith -- but his talents were on show to a whole new audience when he twice blitzed a field of Australia's elite sporting talent to win the TV show Australia's Greatest Athlete.

Executive producer Pete Dempsey didn't get to choose Slater as one of his stars, the show's sponsors Rexona did, but he couldn't have been more impressed and said the Storm star had a confidence that wasn't arrogance, but let the other competitors, guns in their chosen sports, know he was there to beat them all, which he did.

"He's a freak. He just worked out everything in his head, protected his weaknesses, and went for broke on his strengths. He's a phenomenal athlete," Dempsey said.

"He was selected because he fitted the brand, was wholesome and well known. And he's humble; he never talked himself up, he just let his actions speak. But you knew he knew. Everyone there thought they were at the top of their tree and in the end they just had to take their hats off to him. He was too good."

With NRL poster boys Todd Carney, Jarryd Hayne and Benji Marshall battling a myriad of problems, Slater remains the ultimate cleanskin and it is baffling why he is not the face of the game.

He's certainly the face of Storm and Melbourne's kids club isn't called Cam's Cadets for skipper Cameron Smith or Cooper's Troopers for Cooper Cronk -- it's Billy's Buddies and they flock to him like seagulls to a chip.

His decision to recommit until 2014 was regarded as a win in more ways than one because the "come play with Billy" line is used as Melbourne looks to retain and then draw talent to the club.

"Players always ask you if Billy is staying," a Storm official said.

Aware of the bidding frenzy an off-contract Slater would create, extensions have always been locked away with 18 months of any deal remaining. Fortunately for Storm, the best player in the game has always wanted to stay and make his legend in Melbourne.

"There is Billy the player, who has just got better as the years go on, and then there is Billy the brand. When you go to NSW and especially Queensland, he is a phenomenon up there. It's unbelievable," the official said.

"We're very, very lucky he's ours."
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

He will be an immortal eventually!!

and btw...Locky's never won a Dally M. Perhaps they'll give it to him this deservedly or not?? He's won 6 Team of The Year Awards to Billy's 1.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
heraldsun1
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Well I for one feel so privileged to see one of the greatest players the game has ever seen go around every week.

Just awesome.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Articles about 2 years too late, Bills been a ATG for a while

Bills the 2nd best FB Ive seen but to compare FB's now to players pre 90's is stupid.They play a totally different type of game.

It did get one thing wrong though, Cam Smith is the best player in the game by the length of the the Flemington straight.

In fact Cam is the greatest 9 of all time by the even further. What he does from d-h is extaordinary and it opens the whole game up for every one else.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Billy Slater, the greatest footy player ever! ;)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lockyer's never won a Dally M? I'm astonished at that.

Agree totally that Cam is the best in the game. He has three things that Billy doesn't show or is less developed in (in my opinion). He is a better leader (though Billy is a great organiser at fullback), he kicks goals and his kicking game is far superior. Slater scores better in kick chasing and support play though. But, still have to go with Cam. Here are my top 5 Storm players of all time:

1.Cam Smith
2.Billy Slater
3.Cooper Cronk
4.Robbie Kearns
5.Matt Geyer
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lockyer's never won a Dally M? I'm astonished at that.

Agree totally that Cam is the best in the game. He has three things that Billy doesn't show or is less developed in (in my opinion). He is a better leader (though Billy is a great organiser at fullback), he kicks goals and his kicking game is far superior. Slater scores better in kick chasing and support play though. But, still have to go with Cam. Here are my top 5 Storm players of all time:

1.Cam Smith
2.Billy Slater
3.Cooper Cronk
4.Robbie Kearns
5.Matt Geyer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Billy is the evolution of what Benny (& Craig) and Locky started at the Broncos.

He's the best of his generation by far but he has a strong challenger in Darius Boyd. Fantastic player who's building an impressive resume and is only 23.
heraldsun1
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Michael :P wrote: but he has a strong challenger in Darius Boyd. Fantastic player who's building an impressive resume and is only 23.
What??!! Are you on drugs dude??!!
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

heraldsun1 wrote:
Michael :P wrote: but he has a strong challenger in Darius Boyd. Fantastic player who's building an impressive resume and is only 23.
What??!! Are you on drugs dude??!!
Your right, at the same age there is no comparison ;)
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

Billy Slater will go down as the third best fullback of all time, although comparing different era is an impossible thing to do.

But in my book it will always be:

Clive Churchill
Graham Langlands
Billy Slater
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne & Bears wrote:Billy Slater will go down as the third best fullback of all time, although comparing different era is an impossible thing to do.

But in my book it will always be:

Clive Churchill
Graham Langlands
Billy Slater
One thing that annoys me is whn you hear Ray Warren say re Billy " He's the best Ive seen as he does things that no other fullbacks have done before".

Hello, FB is a almost a different position to what it was pre-2000, of course he's doing things previous Fb's havent done. To even intimate that Langlands wouldnt have tore a different team a new hole every week under the current playing style is ridiculous.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I've never watched Churchill or Langlands play but I reckon Billy Slater would carve them both a new arsehole. And I say that with respect.
Fairdinkum the game is played at 4 times the speed it was in those men's era and Billy is still capable of making time stand still whenever he has the ball in his hands.
I'm glad the article mentioned his efforts to win 2 consecutive Rexona Greatest Athlete competitions because that is exactly what he is. And his clean-skin off field attitude and behavior is exemplarary. He is a true professional and a freak of an athlete who stands classes above his closest rivals, and all this in a much tougher era with much tougher competition.
He is by far the greatest fullback to ever lace a pair of boots. He is also one of the greatest players to play the game. If he played for Brisbane or a Sydney club this would've been recognized a long time ago.

Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:I've never watched Churchill or Langlands play but I reckon Billy Slater would carve them both a new arsehole. And I say that with respect.

Give Changa todays training methods and he'd dominate exactly to the same extent. FB is the easiest of the spine positions to play in the modern game with all the space you get. To me it exaggerates your abilities as a footballer.

Take that for what its worth.

Maybe we need 2 discussions going on here, one for league fans and one for fan-boys.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

You're a real smart arse when someone has a differing opinion to you aren't you Michael?
Mate, give Changa all the what-if's in the world. Who's to say he'd be disciplined enough to make the most of the modern training techniques/facilities? (I'm sure he could, but what a dumbass argument you pose)
Billy does a hell of a lot more than just run a ball up from open space. Watch the game from behind goals and you will see the ground he covers to take nearly every opposition kick on the full. And he never stops talking and directing the team in defence. He's like the conductor of a symphony. Then he has that football brain, similar to Smithy's, where he can catch an offside defender off guard to award the team a penalty. There are many facets to his game that no other fb in the comp is doing, let alone Changa.
He is one of our best defenders and probably has saved as many try's as he has scored.
He would undoubtably be the fittest player in the NRL at his peak. Access to all the training science in the world cannot gaurantee you this attribute.
So there you go fan-boy