Kearney wants to steal Duffie

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Michael :P wrote:Bottom line is I wouldnt play him, but thats me.
Exactly it is just you and that's more than fair enough but we're not talking about you, me or any of us. We're talking about the coach and he won't drop him no matter how much you might want him to.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Michael :P wrote:Bottom line is I wouldnt play him, but thats me.
Exactly it is just you and that's more than fair enough but we're not talking about you, me or any of us. We're talking about the coach and he won't drop him no matter how much you might want him to.
There you go again Ice, taking 1+1 and getting 5
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i see duffie as a star in the near future, but if he signs with parra i cant see too many good things happening, he will be ok there but without the kicking a passing game of smith and cronk he wont be as good. if we lose duffie we need.. no MUST sign niko, he is also something to look forward too.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Michael :P wrote:
lol i'm not sure how you work that out but time will tell either way if he signs for Parra.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After Matt's comments last year about the need for the playing group to stick together in order to rebuild the Club and his so called influence in convincing Justin O'Neill to stay on, it would be extremely disappointing if he "jumped ship" at the first chance just cos Parrasites offered a little more cash.

I sincerely hope he has a more integrity than that.

I am not suggesting that he doesn't have a right to look after his financial interests however you would have to think that Storm's offer would be more than fair for a player of his inexperience in the game.

Going to be a very good player...but still a relative novice at this stage
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Michael :P wrote:
lol i'm not sure how you work that out but time will tell either way if he signs for Parra.
Well I dont neccesarily want to see him dropped, he's a damn fine prospect.

I will just understand if he isnt picked is all Im saying.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Honestly, when players say things, I dont take it too seriously.
Things change so quickly, once a little cash is on the table then they start having second thoughts.
Im not against any player going for money, but just wish they run their mouth and say all the right things.
JF_Storm_Swans
Squall
Squall

Storm Spirit wrote:
steaming stormer wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote:This is one helluva reason why the NRL needs a Draft imho.

My daughter will be shattered if Duffie leaves.

This where the AFL Draft system works a lot better .

In AFL, players have rights to move clubs when off contract (but they end up at whoever takes them in the Nat Draft or pre-season Draft) BUT also recognises that members and fans are the life blood of the whole deal and they also have rights to see their best players continue to play with their club.
Will never happen. It's illegal... and the reason there isn't one in the NRL is that it was taken to court and proven to be a restraint of trade. That's why the AFL are shifting towards free agency, they know that when the players association started talking it up, that if they went to court, the whole AFL player management system is illegal and will have huge impacts on the game
I was under the impression that AFL free agency will only apply to players who have been in the game or at a club for a certain amount of time.

It would appear that the AFL draft and player management system has survived an awfully long time without legal challenge. Is this by design or good fortune. ?

I understand that there is a lot of speculation whether a legal challenge to the AFL system would actually be successul given that the players are not forced to pay AFL and do so willingly therefore they abide by the laws and practices of the AFL.

It would seem that the "hoary old chestnut" of a legal challenge is always trotted out by the NRL when this issue is discussed, but I would not be disappointed to see a draft system introduced into the NRL.

Just my opinion of course.

You are dealing with two separate beasts in the NRL & AFL. The NRL is still an uneasy conglomeration of the old ARL & News Limited. People have seen the dramas the Super League saga caused & are used to taking the governing body to caught. In short they don't fear David Gallop & his cronies; would you?

The AFL are a far more difficult beast to take on. They control not only the sport they run with an iron fist & basically blackmail the media into writing positive things about "their product". No player would have the balls to take on the Kremlin, the AFL would use the media to completely undermine the points of view of any 'dissident' (NB how Jobe Watson was laughed at saying that AFL players should strike over the contentious substitute issue)

A draft is pretty much communist capitalism. The AFL generates money centrally and ensures bad teams get a leg up with draft picks (ie the St Kilda & the Demons). It depends on your ideology as to whether it is good or develops a contrived competition.

JF
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

In today's Sydney Morning Herald there is a story that the Eels flew Duffie up to Sydney yesterday, S.K gave him a tour and he was a guest at last night's game. There offer is for three years, so as Storms, but for a lot more money.

The Eels fan site is saying he is going to be at Parramatta next year.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Eels fans site can say/think what they want but the reality is they know sweet FA about what he's going to do because i highly doubt even he does. It's far from unusual these days for players to go and have a look at other clubs but lets face it, i hardly think he'll find anything more impressive up there as opposed to what we have down here facility wise lol

If he wants to follow the money that's supposedly a lot more than our offer then he should move on, i've always been a firm believer of not paying overs for players and especially wingers because they're a dime a dozen even with the talent he has. That said i'm actually still confident that he won't be going anywhere.

Like Parrascum fans i have no idea either what he'll do but if i had to choose i still don't think he'll leave. There's a hell of a lot more to look forward to down here in terms of future success than what there is up there and i think that'll be the decisive factor over money. I could be wrong though but we'll know in the next couple of weeks either way.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't like it.....nope......not one little bit. >:( >:( >:(

Duffie is a Storm boy....it will be VERY disappointing IF he leaves. :'(
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lets face it we have proberly lost him to the eels....lets start looking to our 20s for potentual replacements krisome is pretty good
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Stephen Kearney wants Storm Boys cos he inherited a bunch of tossers.He was used to class players at Storm.
I just hope it doesn`t come to eels being called parraMELBOURNE.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote:Honestly, when players say things, I dont take it too seriously.
Things change so quickly, once a little cash is on the table then they start having second thoughts.
Im not against any player going for money, but just wish they wouldnt run their mouth and say all the right things.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They do seem to be going very hard just for a winger. I wonder if Kearney and Arthuer want to turn him into a center, he was playing very well there last year for the Melbourne NSW cup team (R.I.P.).