Kearney wants to steal Duffie

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

''They were both very important in my development and I rate them highly. With Steve being the Kiwi coach, that certainly holds a lot of interest for me.'' Matt Duffie

Geez you don't waste any time Mooks. Thats pretty bad for Duffie to say that I reckon. He is in his second year he should keep his head down because Elijah Niko will be breathing down his neck.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-l ... 1c1ap.html
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Duff man is speaking like an old verteran who's pushing his worth come contract time. This is what he said only 9 months ago and who knows what the feck to believe after reading this but i can't see him going anywhere and us letting him go. Of course all these blokes Mooks is going after has a bond with hime but the bond (you would think) is even stronger with not only Bellyache but all the other boys as well.

Matt Duffie stays put to rebuild Melbourne Storm

* Russell Gould
* June 21, 2010 12:00AM

THE AFL and rugby union have missed the boat on try-scoring sensation Matt Duffie, who has shunned offers from both and pledged loyalty to Melbourne Storm. Winger Duffie, 19, took his NRL try haul to seven from eight games after a double against the Cowboys on Saturday night.A divingeffort in the corner displayed his athleticism, which attracted interest from AFL scouts in his native New Zealand.

Duffie played senior-level Australian football at 16, was picked in the national team and was invited to an AFL-run testing session, but already had signed with Storm. And, last week, Storm football manager Frank Ponissi rejected an offer for Duffie from officials at rugby union's NSW Waratahs. Duffie, who said Storm signed him from union without seeing him play, said he didn't want to be anywhere else.

"I love league, especially to watch, as well," he said. "I've hardly watched a union game since I moved here."And especially the boys down here, the coaching staff, and I am loving the city ... I want to stay around here for as long as possible. "The club has been through a lot lately, too, and I want to be here while it rebuilds." Storm was the only NRL club to show any interest in Duffie, who was a gun athlete at high school though not the national schoolboys high jump champ that some have suggested.

"I went to nationals, but I finished 26th. I ran eighth in the 200m final," he said. "Auckland rugby union offered me a contract and AFL guys wanted me to come to a draft camp. But I had already signed with Melbourne. "Storm hadn't even seen me play before I came here. "I went straight into the under-20s. I think they took a punt "I didn't want to go to Sydney, anyway; it's a bit of a rat race."But coming to the best club, I couldn't pass that up."

Duffie also has been talking his roommate Justin O'Neill into staying at Storm. O'Neill posted three tries in only his second NRL match as the Storm romped home 58-12. Out of contract at the end of this season O'Neill, 19, is Melbourne's highest re-signing priority and Duffie is doing his bit for the club "I'd love for him to stay and I have been telling him I want to stay. It would be good for both of us to be on the wings," he said. "You learn more here than at any other club. I've been saying to him it would be a good idea to stay."
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

kearney wants the entire storm team because he knows most of his players are crap! eels can have blair for 500 a year and hopefully we can resign duffie hinchy proctor and co off contract
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is one helluva reason why the NRL needs a Draft imho.

My daughter will be shattered if Duffie leaves.

This where the AFL Draft system works a lot better .

In AFL, players have rights to move clubs when off contract (but they end up at whoever takes them in the Nat Draft or pre-season Draft) BUT also recognises that members and fans are the life blood of the whole deal and they also have rights to see their best players continue to play with their club.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:This is one helluva reason why the NRL needs a Draft imho.

In AFL, players have rights to move clubs when off contract (but they end up at whoever takes them in the Nat Draft or pre-season Draft) BUT also recognises that members and fans are the life blood of the whole deal and they also have rights to see their best players continue to play with their club.
Will never happen. It's illegal... and the reason there isn't one in the NRL is that it was taken to court and proven to be a restraint of trade. That's why the AFL are shifting towards free agency, they know that when the players association started talking it up, that if they went to court, the whole AFL player management system is illegal and will have huge impacts on the game
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:

Will never happen. It's illegal... and the reason there isn't one in the NRL is that it was taken to court and proven to be a restraint of trade. That's why the AFL are shifting towards free agency, they know that when the players association started talking it up, that if they went to court, the whole AFL player management system is illegal and will have huge impacts on the game
I was under the impression that AFL free agency will only apply to players who have been in the game or at a club for a certain amount of time.

It would appear that the AFL draft and player management system has survived an awfully long time without legal challenge. Is this by design or good fortune. ?

I understand that there is a lot of speculation whether a legal challenge to the AFL system would actually be successul given that the players are not forced to pay AFL and do so willingly therefore they abide by the laws and practices of the AFL.

It would seem that the "hoary old chestnut" of a legal challenge is always trotted out by the NRL when this issue is discussed, but I would not be disappointed to see a draft system introduced into the NRL.

Just my opinion of course.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Never followed AFL,so not up on the draft but it appears to serve the same purpose as a salary cap - To prop up under performing teams ?
Storm is starting to reap the rewards of juniors coming through THEIR system this season.Would this not be negated by a draft system ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote:Never followed AFL,so not up on the draft but it appears to serve the same purpose as a salary cap - To prop up under performing teams ?
Storm is starting to reap the rewards of juniors coming through THEIR system this season.Would this not be negated by a draft system ?
BR...yep good point.

However the NRL already use a slary cap to help prop up under performing teams, so would a draft be a short step sideways or a big change. It's up for debate imo.

A draft would prevent Storm just picking up juniors at will and developing them HOWEVER once the juniors are within the club, then ALL of the training and education and thought and nurturing that Craig Bellamy uses to turn them into good players will generally stay within the Club.

I say generally because under the AFL system, players can still leave a club at the end of a contract but they could end up at any club so they are less likely to just leave.

IMHO...The current NRL player management system actually rewards shit club and shit coaches and shit coaching programs because they can just "steal" Storm players who haven been given the initial benefit of a great coaching system and a GREAT COACH that Melbourne Storm has in place.

Neither system is perfect but I hate the way that a player can find his way into the hearts of a Clubs supporter base and then just leave.

As an adult, I fully realise and accept that players come and go and are replaced and soon forgotten, but try explaining that to a kid who loves that player.

It's tough.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
steaming stormer wrote:

I was under the impression that AFL free agency will only apply to players who have been in the game or at a club for a certain amount of time.

It would appear that the AFL draft and player management system has survived an awfully long time without legal challenge. Is this by design or good fortune. ?

I understand that there is a lot of speculation whether a legal challenge to the AFL system would actually be successul given that the players are not forced to pay AFL and do so willingly therefore they abide by the laws and practices of the AFL.

It would seem that the "hoary old chestnut" of a legal challenge is always trotted out by the NRL when this issue is discussed, but I would not be disappointed to see a draft system introduced into the NRL.

Just my opinion of course.
They've gone towards a limited free agency - they don't want to go to full free agency, and I think it's a good system they have where loyalty is more prevalent (or at least appears to be)
As for the legal challenge being trotted out by the NRL... it's actually happened and is why the draft was abolished. It came about from Dennis Tutty taking it to court.
Having said that, i'm not saying we have the best system... but it's why I don't think we'll ever see a draft reintroduced
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote: They've gone towards a limited free agency - they don't want to go to full free agency, and I think it's a good system they have where loyalty is more prevalent (or at least appears to be)
As for the legal challenge being trotted out by the NRL... it's actually happened and is why the draft was abolished. It came about from Dennis Tutty taking it to court.
Having said that, i'm not saying we have the best system... but it's why I don't think we'll ever see a draft reintroduced
I thought it was Terry Hill that took the draft to court, but anyway.

The draft works in the AFL because the AFL Players Association agreed to it. To be a player you have to join the AFLPA and agree to the abide by the laws of AFLPA and AFL.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Could have been Hill... I know Tutty had a case win about restraint of trade as well, probably got the 2 confused.
The bottom is thew key, players have to agree, and they won't

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tutty helped to abolish the NSWRL transfer system in the late 60's.
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

Back on topic, if duffie wants to go then let him go. Not the best winger in the world and no player is bigger then the club. Although he is wonderfully talented, and I'd love to keep him.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne & Bears wrote:Back on topic, if duffie wants to go then let him go. Not the best winger in the world and no player is bigger then the club. Although he is wonderfully talented, and I'd love to keep him.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
This.

Having O'Neill and NIko in the background mean Duff cant bargain too hard.

And dont forget about Brad Arthur' influence.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Maybe the punk should go talk to past players that took the $ and ran, tomane, chambers etc. Reserve grade is fun i hear. O'Neill is better anyway, no one is bigger than the club, if he tries to use this offer as leverage i hope we show him the door!