Storm/Warriors moved to Sunday

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

Woah, this got blown out of the water. Never seen this site move so fast.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

onlooker wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
onlooker wrote:The NRL and Gallop did not originally put the game on Sunday, many peopled blamed him for it though. It doesn't matter why it wasn't their decision or not, the fact is it wasn't and anger should of been directed to those who were responsible for it.
You're funny... you just stated the very reason why anger should be directed at NRL/Gallop - they whored out the game to the (part owner) TV broadcasters, rather than keeping control of it and making scheduling arrangements for the good of the game and the fans.

If given the power, of course Fox/CH9 are going to pick the games & timeslots that will rate highest for them, over the 'tradition' or significance of events (or fairness of TV exposure). The broadcasters should not have that power to begin with, thus the blame/anger being directed at them.
No its not, that why i said it.

Its good to have an 'us' vs 'them', but to be knowing wrong and acting like this ... well that is a personality trait. One that does shine lightly unless surround by other 'same-thinking' supporters. Again, easier to hate a figure head then find the real problem.
By "them" in my post, I meant NRL/Gallop - it should probably read "The broadcasters should not have that power to begin with, thus the blame/anger being directed at Gallop/NRL."
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Insomniac wrote:

By "them" in my post, I meant NRL/Gallop - it should probably read "The broadcasters should not have that power to begin with, thus the blame/anger being directed at Gallop/NRL."
Fair enough.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Mikey
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Given that the league has for once done tha right thing by us a reschedlude it we need to do all we can to get a bumper crowd. We don't want them saying "we did the right thing by Melbourne and a crowd didn't turn up"

I encourage everyone to make this a game you really target friends, colleagues, family, neighbours whoever to come along to so we can prove we deserve these type of games
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Mikey wrote:Given that the league has for once done tha right thing by us a reschedlude it we need to do all we can to get a bumper crowd. We don't want them saying "we did the right thing by Melbourne and a crowd didn't turn up"

I encourage everyone to make this a game you really target friends, colleagues, family, neighbours whoever to come along to so we can prove we deserve these type of games
I couldn't agree more Mikey, i may make the trip to Melbourne for this game.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

Mikey wrote:Given that the league has for once done tha right thing by us a reschedlude it we need to do all we can to get a bumper crowd. We don't want them saying "we did the right thing by Melbourne and a crowd didn't turn up"

Should be like this every weekend though.

onlooker
Squall
Squall

Melbourne & Bears wrote:

Should be like this every weekend though.

That's a bit rough, not even Sydney teams ... nay, any team (apart from the Broncos) can sustain high crowds all season.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said but the NRL have sweet FA to do with the scheduling of games which basically means they also had sweet FA to do with re-scheduling this one. The broadcasters can put the games on in any order they please and don't have to go to the NRL to ratify them becasue the simple fact is the NRL has absolutely NO power to change them even if they wanted to. Foxtel didn't go the the NRL to ask if they could change this game, why would they when they don't have to?

Here's what was said in the original article when all this came out in the first place.

MELBOURNE officials don't believe the club is still paying for past sins despite revelations Canberra didn't request or want the Round 7 Anzac Day fixture Storm coveted. The Raiders were given the prime Monday night slot to play Newcastle despite Storm putting a NRL-supported proposal to broadcasters to continue its traditional clash with the Warriors on Anzac Day. Storm was instead given the Sunday slot chosen last by Fox Sports.

It was a significant snub given Canberra chief executive Don Furner said his club didn't ask for the slot, had no plans in place to make it an Anzac celebration, and would shift if directed. But NRL boss David Gallop told Storm CEO Ron Gauci it was powerless to help Melbourne. Gauci didn't believe the snub was in response to the club's tarnished image after last year's salary cap breaches but highlighted an issue with the NRL's TV deal. "It seems the broadcasters have all the power," he said.

Spot on Ron, they do.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said but the NRL have sweet FA to do with the scheduling of games which basically means they also had sweet FA to do with re-scheduling this one. The broadcasters can put the games on in any order they please and don't have to go to the NRL to ratify them becasue the simple fact is the NRL has absolutely NO power to change them even if they wanted to. Foxtel didn't go the the NRL to ask if they could change this game, why would they when they don't have to?

Here's what was said in the original article when all this came out in the first place.

MELBOURNE officials don't believe the club is still paying for past sins despite revelations Canberra didn't request or want the Round 7 Anzac Day fixture Storm coveted. The Raiders were given the prime Monday night slot to play Newcastle despite Storm putting a NRL-supported proposal to broadcasters to continue its traditional clash with the Warriors on Anzac Day. Storm was instead given the Sunday slot chosen last by Fox Sports.

It was a significant snub given Canberra chief executive Don Furner said his club didn't ask for the slot, had no plans in place to make it an Anzac celebration, and would shift if directed. But NRL boss David Gallop told Storm CEO Ron Gauci it was powerless to help Melbourne. Gauci didn't believe the snub was in response to the club's tarnished image after last year's salary cap breaches but highlighted an issue with the NRL's TV deal. "It seems the broadcasters have all the power," he said.

Spot on Ron, they do.
What a load of bullcrap.

How do you think it changed then?

You think Fox went "oh let's help out the Storm?"

How do you think the Roosters/Dragon game is always on ANZAC Day? Or the Roosters/Broncos good friday match always on good friday? (apart from this year thanks to ANZAC Day)

You think both ch 9 and fox are nice enough to allow it?

How do you think previous game changes have happened? Last year i remember the dogs put a request to the NRL and guess what? the NRL allowed it.

I don't care what that article (that contain no quotes from the NRL or Mr. Gallop) says, while the NRL can not on a weekly basis tell the networks how it is, it has been shown many times that the NRL can throw their weight around to keep a tradition (or at the response to the clubs) in place.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LOL ok then, i would've thought it was blatantly obvious the direct quote from Gauci saying "It seems broadcasters have all the power" was referring to Gallop telling him he had no power to change it. Or do you think Gauci just said it for the sake of something to say?

The NRL may, or just as easily may not have gone to Fox to request that they change the game but once again, the simple fact is (which has been common knowledge to most people for years) is that the broadcasters pick and choose which games they want and when they're played. Channel 9 get the pick of the first 2 games, Foxtel the next 2, Channel 9 the 5th game and Foxtel the last 2.

Even if the NRL did go to Fox asking them to change it and Foxtel didn't want to then it would be stiff shit for all who wanted it changed, including the NRL and the club. As for how do i think the Roosters/Dragon game is always on ANZAC Day or the Roosters/Broncos good friday match always on good friday? 9 and Fox don't "allow" it just to be nice, they would obviously want those games because they'd both be very big raters for both station. You don't have to be Einstein to work that out.....

If the NRL had as much power in who broadcasts what games and when, then why don't they use that almighty power to make channel 9 play the games earlier than midnight in Melbourne and other AFL states? If they had so much why don't they make channel 9 broadcast the games down here either live or near live on one of their digital channels? Well guess what? They have tried to make them do it many times over the years and you no why channel 9 don't comply to that? Because they don't have to and there's not a damned thing the NRL or anyone else can do about it.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:LOL ok then, i would've thought it was blatantly obvious the direct quote from Gauci saying "It seems broadcasters have all the power" was referring to Gallop telling him he had no power to change it. Or do you think Gauci just said it for the sake of something to say?
He used the word "seems", but as i said the NRL or Gallop were not directly quoted. Those are the people i listen to.
Ice wrote:The NRL may, or just as easily may not have gone to Fox to request that they change the game but once again, the simple fact is (which has been common knowledge to most people for years) is that the broadcasters pick and choose which games they want and when they're played. Channel 9 get the pick of the first 2 games, Foxtel the next 2, Channel 9 the 5th game and Foxtel the last 2.
The NRL did go to foxtel and request the change after the Storm contacted the NRL. That is far different to what you were saying earlier "the NRL have sweet FA to do with the scheduling of games which basically means they also had sweet FA to do with re-scheduling this one."
Ice wrote:Even if the NRL did go to Fox asking them to change it and Foxtel didn't want to then it would be stiff shit for all who wanted it changed, including the NRL and the club. As for how do i think the Roosters/Dragon game is always on ANZAC Day or the Roosters/Broncos good friday match always on good friday? 9 and Fox don't "allow" it just to be nice, they would obviously want those games because they'd both be very big raters for both station. You don't have to be Einstein to work that out.....

If the NRL had as much power in who broadcasts what games and when, then why don't they use that almighty power to make channel 9 play the games earlier than midnight in Melbourne and other AFL states? If they had so much why don't they make channel 9 broadcast the games down here either live or near live on one of their digital channels? Well guess what? They have tried to make them do it many times over the years and you no why channel 9 don't comply to that? Because they don't have to and there's not a damned thing the NRL or anyone else can do about it.
I agree with all of that, good thing the NRL is taking that in mind, plus letters they have received from many people in SA and WA (not sure if they have received any from Vic) to the table when they do their TV deal.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore.

On the topic of scheduling - our round eight home game against the Knights has been scheduled for 7:30 Saturday (30/4).
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

onlooker wrote:
The NRL did go to foxtel and request the change after the Storm contacted the NRL. That is far different to what you were saying earlier "the NRL have sweet FA to do with the scheduling of games which basically means they also had sweet FA to do with re-scheduling this one."
I think you're getting your wires crossed here and things are getting lost in translation, i never denied that the NRL may have requested Foxtel to change the schedule because the fact is i haven't read anywhere if they did or not so i don't know and won't guess either way. Though seeing as you so big on actual quotes and need tem to prove if something is true or not if you have a link to prove it i'll be glad to see it.

Even if they did it's irrellevant in many ways to what i'm saying. When i said the NRL had sweet FA to do with it i meant that they had absolutely no bearing on Foxtel changing their mind and if Foxtel didn't want to they don't HAVE to. Simply asking for something doesn't mean it has any bearing on something, well not in my world anyway but i'm not that easily led.

The only favor the NRL have done for us here is actually scheduling us to play on this weekend which we asked for and given they're in charge of compliling the fixture they obliged but that's all. You're making it sound like the NRL demanded they changed it and Foxtel complied but i'd bet my left one that's not the case because once more, they didn't HAVE to change it for anyone.

onlooker wrote:I agree with all of that, good thing the NRL is taking that in mind, plus letters they have received from many people in SA and WA (not sure if they have received any from Vic) to the table when they do their TV deal.
It's all well and good you agree with me on the other stuff but you still didn't answer my questions. If the NRL had as much power in who broadcasts what games and when, then why don't they use that almighty power to make channel 9 play the games earlier than midnight in Melbourne and other AFL states? If they had so much why don't they make channel 9 broadcast the games down here either live or near live on one of their digital channels?

Could the answer be because they have absolutely no power when it comes to the scheduling of games? No need to answer that because we all know it and i don't need a quote to prove it because it's common knowledge.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

absentee wrote:I don't even know what this thread is about anymore.

On the topic of scheduling - our round eight home game against the Knights has been scheduled for 7:30 Saturday (30/4).

and round 9 against the Ponies up there is the Saturday night at 7.30pm. Big weekend that'd be for anyone travelling up with the Australia v NZ test on Friday night at Skilled Park as well.
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

Absentee and Ice where do you get your scheduling information from?? I just checked nrl.com and rounds 8 and 9 aren't up there yet.

I hate it how the NRL release schedules in dribs and drabs....

Thanks for keeping us one step ahead!!

Julie