The social side of Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just got the latest Hail storm and life certainly seems more social. After game function at Crown with coaches and trams provided. No mention of players attending, but a great idea. 'The bench' open to everyone. Hopefully it will be more like 'the old days'. :)
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sounds good to me and certainly much better than last year.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hope they set up something for away games too.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

stormsally wrote:Just got the latest Hail storm and life certainly seems more social. After game function at Crown with coaches and trams provided. No mention of players attending, but a great idea. 'The bench' open to everyone. Hopefully it will be more like 'the old days'. :)
POST-MATCH TRANSPORT TO CROWN

Exclusive to Premiers Club members, three coaches will be heading to the Lagerfield Bar and Beer Garden after the game, departing from Entrance D (opposite to AAMI Park) at 9.00pm. MOPT event staff will be on hand to direct you, so make sure you're one of the lucky ones on board!
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
KingFD
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Did anybody here head to Crown after the game? After sitting in the sun all afternoon watching SG Ball, NYC and then the main game we were too tired to head over to take a look..
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

KingFD wrote:Did anybody here head to Crown after the game? After sitting in the sun all afternoon watching SG Ball, NYC and then the main game we were too tired to head over to take a look..
Yeah we did but won't be rushing back. While it's a decent place to have a drink there was no private room or anything for the after party. It was packed with other punters so we only stayed for a couple of drinks and headed upstairs where it was quieter and could get a drink much easier. It also turned out where we went was near where all the players, coaching staff, admin, partners and kids had dinner and had a chat to a few of them while on their way through. It looked to be a private place they went into as they had security on the door and weren't letting anyone else in.

As for the buses, we headed over to catch one and while they announced it was only going to be for premiers club members they were letting all members on. The first bus was full, we got on the second bus and was waiting for about 20 mins for it to fill up but only ended up being about 20 people on it so we left with that many. There was a 3rd bus but obviously that wasn't needed so that left early as well.

I'm sure plenty of members enjoyed the after party and venue but i know we'll be heading up Swan St for a sip after games and not back to Crown.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

stormsally wrote:Just got the latest Hail storm and life certainly seems more social. After game function at Crown with coaches and trams provided. No mention of players attending, but a great idea. 'The bench' open to everyone. Hopefully it will be more like 'the old days'. :)

Everyone OVER 18!!! :evil: Even then there was maybe 50 people there.... (please note I did not have my kids with me at this game ;) )

So basically if you've got kids with you there is NO BLOODY WHERE remotely associated with Storm of AAMI Park you can take them after the game. Nice family atmosphere and great way to catch up with old friends - NOT!!

End rant................maybe :lol:
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I was wondering if it was only over 18... so there goes my chances of going and catching up with people....
Storm have to sort out if they want to be a family club or not.. you can not promote and use that as a key
point then have "family nights" on Friday that we all know suits the corporates more - and now to have
the social drinks in a place were no kids can come kinda sucks big time.... (not that I would take them
on a Saturday night more like a Sunday arvo game due to their ages)
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We did the 3pm (ish) start and watched all three games. It was a long afternoon in the sun, so didn't go to the after party. Pity about the kids - that was the only reason we use to go to the after party - so the kids could see the players. Now my 'kids' would rather the drinks at Crown :-D

I assume that this was one of three as per the membership?

I bet Storm were disappointed if they were expecting at least three bus loads.

I was going to check out 'The Bench' but couldn't be bothered going out of the stadium to see how busy it was - and the U20's game was a corker.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I assumed that wasn't one of the three official after parties, but more just part of the deal with Crown?
If that was one of the three, it was promoted very poorly
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tigger wrote:

Everyone OVER 18!!! :evil: Even then there was maybe 50 people there.... (please note I did not have my kids with me at this game ;) )

So basically if you've got kids with you there is NO BLOODY WHERE remotely associated with Storm of AAMI Park you can take them after the game. Nice family atmosphere and great way to catch up with old friends - NOT!!

I didn`t actually look at the name of the place but is " the Bench" the name of the restaurant/ drinks venue at the front of Aami Park near the merchandise shop? For the first time since we have moved to Aami Park my daugther and I got there early and I thought I would take her in to get a drink and something to eat before the game to get her out of the sun. I was rather surprised when we got stopped at the door and told " No Kids" . We couldn`t get into the ground as we were waiting for some friends to come with my daughters ticket ( complicated arrangement :) ) and with no other drink/ food outlets on the outside we wound up having to sit outside until everyone turned up. While it wasn`t a huge issue I just thought it was dumb that I couldn`t take my daughter in there to sit down and relax while we were waiting ???
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Woody wrote:
Tigger wrote:

I didn`t actually look at the name of the place but is " the Bench" the name of the restaurant/ drinks venue at the front of Aami Park near the merchandise shop? For the first time since we have moved to Aami Park my daugther and I got there early and I thought I would take her in to get a drink and something to eat before the game to get her out of the sun. I was rather surprised when we got stopped at the door and told " No Kids" . We couldn`t get into the ground as we were waiting for some friends to come with my daughters ticket ( complicated arrangement :) ) and with no other drink/ food outlets on the outside we wound up having to sit outside until everyone turned up. While it wasn`t a huge issue I just thought it was dumb that I couldn`t take my daughter in there to sit down and relax while we were waiting ???

Last year I went to the bench once it is the one outside the front of the stadium... I took my kids for a meal however, even though I checked prior
with Storm I was told when I went to order that there were no kids meals...

Seems to me the club is becoming less and less a "family" club what do others think...

StormFront......
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

In this aspect StormFront I`d have to agree. It sounds like the same place that I was going in to and while the guys at the front door weren`t rude they were very definite that I wasn`t allowed in with my daughter. I could have sworn that all of the talk as the place was being built was that there would be a place for families to go and eat at the stadium. Anyway, like I said it wasn`t a major issue for us we just wanted somewhere out of the sun to sit and have a drink while we waited
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Woody wrote:In this aspect StormFront I`d have to agree. It sounds like the same place that I was going in to and while the guys at the front door weren`t rude they were very definite that I wasn`t allowed in with my daughter. I could have sworn that all of the talk as the place was being built was that there would be a place for families to go and eat at the stadium. Anyway, like I said it wasn`t a major issue for us we just wanted somewhere out of the sun to sit and have a drink while we waited

Hi Woody - as I have children and may take them to the Bench or this place at Crown I asked Ron on his facebook page directly.
I have found him to be approachable and always willing to answer with in a reasonable time... this is exactly what he said....

Ron Gauci .... Rachel. Children are allowed at the Bench prior to the
game and after the game depending on the finish time. As it is a licensed bar,
there are restrictions around children from 11pm I believe. The same applies
at Crown where children are allowed under supervision to a certain time.
We are a family club and want to support this but we are also limited by
legislation around the serving of alcohol in licensed venues. There will be
specific family functions throughout the year as well.

StormFront......