Rnd 1 Melbourne vs Manly

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ahh how great it is to be top of the ladder!

First up effort was okay by the guys, I especially loved one movement in the second half where the ball went through a heap of hands in attack.

Chase Stanley must have grown up watching Steve Bell, he needs to learn to pass the ball.

It was interesting watching Widdop, quite a few times he and Cameron Smith swapped roles.
STORM 2007
Squall
Squall

Really enjoyed seeing Chase's try, pumped the fist when he went over. Overall i thought the performance was a typical Storm display. Solid defence and some well drilled moves got the points.

Agree about Thompson's straight running adding a lot to our pack, it gets the job done.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Solid first up win, I thought Cam, Sika and Chase were our best.

Solid effort from Gareth at 6, hopefully as the weeks go on Cam, Cooper and Billy allow him to get more involved.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Michael :P wrote:Solid first up win, I thought Cam, Sika and Chase were our best.

Solid effort from Gareth at 6, hopefully as the weeks go on Cam, Cooper and Billy allow him to get more involved.
they shouldnt have any hesitations in letting him get more involved, that double pump to nielson was beautiful! i was stoked oniel got his spot, and it will be hard to move him this year too! i think slater will be better for the run, he was puffing heaps early on, but the 2 hits on stewart were good!

mr stanley did a great job of staying on the field, when he first went down i said "surprise surprise" but he got back up everytime and showed why bellyache loves him so much. if he could be 90%+ fit the opposition better look out
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Blair's second half was quite good, had some very strong runs. Billy threw a great pass to setup the first try. looking forward to the Titans game to see how they will go against a top side.
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

I thought the crowd was really involved too. I was sitting right next to the opposition supporters area and the noise when we scored that first try was AMAZING.

I would have sworn that there were more than 15,000 - but the figures don't lie. It was a great atmosphere.

Bring on next week!
StormSergeant
Squall
Squall

Good first up win by the lads, can anyway tell me how Cooper and Duffie were able to hold up 'Godzilla' and stop him scoring that try????? Phenomenal stuff in defense!!! I wasn't really keen though on Jamian Lowe, would rather see Troy Thompson starting as he had a number of good runs and some good hits.

Bring on the Titans next week!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good, solid win by the boys.
I thought Blair went looking for a lot of work early - didn't break the line much, but a couple of times just needed someone running off his hip as he was ready to pop the ball.
Kevin Proctor was great I thought... showed why there has been the faith shown in him. Will be a very good player.
Sika = Beast. Hits and drives for at least 2 metres more every time he gets hit. Made a couple of good tackles where they were almost through too.
Chase Stanley = best on ground. On one leg, he was outstanding. Made a couple of must make tackles where he had to make a decision to come in or stay out. Best game from him in the purple.

Great loud crowd too. I was just next to the pocket of manly fans... great to give it to them!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

steaming stormer wrote:Great loud crowd too. I was just next to the pocket of manly fans... great to give it to them!
What was the story with their banner?:
Billys
Later
Perhaps I'm just dumb but what message was this supposed to be sending?
Johns
Squall
Squall

Ah, Quinn was dropped to NSW Cup because Belly reckons he hasn't played enough footy in the last two years.

I wonder if they plan on bringing him back in pretty soon or if it's Justin's spot to lose???
Last edited by Johns on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johns
Squall
Squall

Also I loved our attitude last night.

Still got the mettle that this great club has built all its success on.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Meters & Hitups NRL stats

Nielson 137 13
Slater 125 12
Blair 124 16
Stanley 117 13
Bromwich 106 13
Duffie 105 14
O'Neill 95 7
Manu 91 12
Norrie 85 10
Lowrie 68 10
Smith 63
Hinchcliffe 53 9
Widdop 39 5
Proctor 38 7
Lowe 38 6
Thompson 36 6

Sorry the formatting is good in preview then shit on actual page
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

i thought proctor was ok but needs to go closer to the line before passing, and thought he would have made more meters than that
brewer
Squall
Squall

stats are good, but can be deceptive.

any storm player on the field early in the second half will have more metres due to the multiple repeat sets we had.

and how good was that
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storming wrote:i thought proctor was ok but needs to go closer to the line before passing, and thought he would have made more meters than that
Proctor was OK with the ball last night, Chase I feel needed to change the line of his runs to give the inside man more options