2011 Memberships

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

10360 is the amount of members we had last year....we had around 9500 b4 22/4 then after that in the first week ppl joined up to help the storm out
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hailstorm wrote:I'm interested to know where the 10,360 Storm 2010 membership figure came from?
I didn't realise we broke 10,000 members last year - or at the last minute did they
add in all the pet members or something to make them appear better. I'm sure it
was 9,500 odd if anyone can be bothered doing any research... not that it matters,
just what I've been thinking every time i have read a Storm article this year that
mentions the 10,360 (or sometimes more) figure.
I think you get different figures quoted in different places depending on whether or not they're counting all members or just ticketed members. Although, that would suggest that 9000 of our 10000 members were fully ticketed - more than I would have thought.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

I think the 9,500 number comes from before the scandal broke, the 10,360 number includes the ones that signed up after the scandal broke.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Hailstorm
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

no, thats not true at all. It was 9,500 toward the end of the season.

EDIT: since my comment above I managed to find an old thread that indicates we had
about 8,500 members before the scandal and by around May 20th 2010 we had signed
a further 1000 odd members to be roughly 9,500... it may have remained not much more
than that to seasons end but I suppose its possible that we signed up a further 850 odd
members between May and the end of the season, though I certainly don't recall the
club advertising the fact we cracked 10,000 members for the first time in our history
which after a bad season would be one of the highlights.

Personally I think the figures have been inflated...
onlooker
Squall
Squall

I remember it being advertised, well not so much advertised by one the news up here in the led up to the Warriors game last year.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hailstorm wrote:no, thats not true at all. It was 9,500 toward the end of the season.

EDIT: since my comment above I managed to find an old thread that indicates we had
about 8,500 members before the scandal and by around May 20th 2010 we had signed
a further 1000 odd members to be roughly 9,500
Correct Hailstorm and you make a good point i think. As the article mentions there were 700 new members that already joined and 300 emails waiting to join so that's where the extra 1000 came from. I've gotta say i'd be a bit surprised if we signed another 800+ after the initial surge but that said if 10,360 is the number they've got then that's what we have to go by i guess.

Melbourne Storm membership surge
Ben Horne
April 29, 2010

Most expected the salary cap drama to tear apart Melbourne's loyal fan base, but it's had the opposite effect with the NRL club signing up 100 new members a day since the scandal broke. The Storm feared revelations about systematic breaches of the salary cap over recent seasons would turn droves of supporters away in the AFL-dominated market.

Chairman Rob Moodie conceded last week that the debilitating penalties handed down by the NRL could ultimately spell the end of the Storm, but he and his staff have been buoyed by the club's membership surging past 9000. More than 700 members have signed up in the past week and the new applications started pouring in from the moment NRL boss David Gallop delivered what many thought was a death sentence for the Storm.

"That day. It was Thursday, when we expected the exact opposite to happen," said Moodie. "We were fearful that people would turn away and it's just been so gratifying that they haven't. I guess it really does say something about the team, how they play and the way they go about their business.

"We're up over the 9000 mark and last week it was about 8500 so we're seeing about 100 a day. I think there's still something like 300 outstanding emails of people that want to join, so we're getting some amazing responses.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I remember it being on the club site last year that we had cracked 10k for the first time ever.
No point in the NRL inflating the figures now. If it was lower, they should be able to demonstrate growth when we get more members this year
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

steaming stormer wrote:I remember it being on the club site last year that we had cracked 10k for the first time ever.
No point in the NRL inflating the figures now. If it was lower, they should be able to demonstrate growth when we get more members this year
I agree mate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

An increase of 283 in the past week. We managed to overtake Manly, Tigers and pretty much level pegging with the Warriors but the Raiders had a big surge of 374 which is pretty good given it's this late in the memebership campaign so we didn't catch them like i thought we might this week. Hopefully i'm wrong but it looks like it might be a struggle to crack 10k this year though i still theink we'll get fairly close if we don't.

Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Hey ICE, what site has those charts with membership tally?

We're currently 10th. But I reckon Canberra, Roosters & Manly won't get too many more. We could end up 5th-7th. Not bad for a team from Melbourne, and a late membership drive.

Sths 19845
StG. 19055
Bris. 14638
Dogs 13548
Eels 11110
Syd. 9582 (152%)
New. 9220 (107%)
Manly 9065 (172%)
Can. 9009 (147%)
Storm 8775
Wests 8712
NZ 8578
Titans 8025
NQld. 7620
Cron 6515
Pen. 6132

onlooker
Squall
Squall

Go Storm wrote:Hey ICE, what site has those charts with membership tally?
The NRL website does it, you can also view it here: http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/promotion ... ladder.php
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Maybe on the ads they should have the cost of Storm Spirit (GA) membership scroll across bottom of screen and printed ads. It's extremely good value. One of my workmates is going to sign up this week. He'll only come to a few games, but at $185 it's still cheaper if you attend the next 7 out of 10 home games.
He thought it was as expensive as AFL and Rebels memberships. Probably a common mis-conception. And with part payment option it's extremely affordable.

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

this is about qld membership they were talking about:

The Storm Country/Purple Passion QLD PLUS membership will be available by the end of this week. It’s launch has unfortunately been delayed by issues surrounding the pricing structure for families. However, I am determined to release it by close of business tomorrow and most certainly in time for the Broncos game in Round 9.

Purchased in conjunction with a Purple Passion or Storm Country membership, the QLD PLUS add-on give you the opportunity to attend Storm games in Queensland, including our first away game this coming Monday against the Cowboys.

You can sit amongst Storm’s purple army in away team bays (where available) for your choice of two or all three of our Melbourne Storm's away games in Queensland throughout the 2011 season.

Pricing for this membership is as follows:

· Storm Country QLD Plus (2 games) $155
· Storm Country QLD Plus (3 games) $182

· Purple Passion QLD Plus (2 games) $140
· Purple Passion QLD Plus (3 games) $167
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

There is a Membership Thread on LU and one Storm supporter posted that we had cracked the 9,000 members mark. Not bad at all considering we were bashed to death in the media.
Melbourne & Bears
Squall
Squall

9000 is awesome, next target 9500 and then 10000, not really too concern about beating last years numbers. Obviously a few of the members last year were members who wouldn't of been members if it was not for the circumstances that occurred.