Storm meeting Summary

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Brian
Squall
Squall

Now a days we just go and enjoy the game of Rugby League.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

absentee wrote:I think the thing that bothers me is the "Storm wouldn't survive without News Ltd" thing - as though we should consider ourselves lucky to have them involved in the club. Yeah, thanks for 2010, guys. We know that Gerry Ryan wants to buy the club so I don't buy the notion that News Ltd is the only reason why the club is still around.

Agreed.

In 2009 Storm had an income of $21 million dollars. That was the highest of anyone other than the Broncos. Even if you take away the News Ltd grant of $6 m, the remaining $15 m was still in the top six clubs.

The club was caught cheating on News' watch, yet the only 2 directors not sacked were the only 2 News Ltd employees; the only 2 directors who were on the finance committee. THE TWO WHO SHOULD HAVE SEEN WHAT WAS GOING ON.
We shouldn't be thanking News for saving the club, we should be blaming them for almost destroying it.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:this is what im pissed off at...where is the proof that Ron Gauchi is/or ever has been ever part of News Ltd there is none that i can find or see anywhere and people keep saying he is when it isnt true which is just stupid...if somone has any proof saying he is then tell me and ill shut up
Appointed by News Ltd to run the Storm. That sounds like part of the organisation to me.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

maybe TC u should have read my comment two post later
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:The problem is not someone having the money to buy the club. The problem is having someone with emough money to run the club.

Newslimited could sell the club to Gerry Ryan for $2.00 if the wanted to. But they would most likely ask a couple of million. Which Ryan has and if not the guys who were backing the court case with him this year, could start a new company and buy the club.

But who aside a huge multination company, can keep putting in 6 million plus evey year to keep the club running, when it is not making any money. Very few NRL club make a lot of money.
There's some valid points there but if Gerry Ryan buys the club he won't be doing it just so he can have a little play thing (like Edelstein buying the Swans) This is a bloke who genuinely loves the club and i'd bet my left one he wouldn't go ahead with any purchase if he was only in it for the short term and there'd be a chance of us folding a few years down the track if he pulled out. This is also a bloke who has had intimate knowledge on how the club is run and how much it takes to run it so i doubt very much he'd invest if he didn't have the sustained financial means to put into it which i somehow don't think would be a problem.

He recently topped the BRW list of entertainers for the dinosaur animatronics company he owns 80% which earned $140 million last year and that has nothing to do with what he earns from Jayco and any other companies he owns. He clearly has the money and i think there was talk about the other 3 independents buying in as well at the time (who from all reports aren't short of a buck or two either) so it's not like it'd be all his money anyway. As was also mentioned if the club was run more efficiently than what it has been in the past and building a stronger brand etc it wouldn't lose anywhere near what it has been and given the business acumen of Mr Harvey and his clear love for the club i've no doubt whatsoever he would succeed with that.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks for the heads up Sally. But here's what I don't get....
RATS IN THE RANKS ---- BW
- STORM WILL SUPPORT A COURT CASE
-IF COURT CASE HAPPENS THEY HAVE STORM FULL SUPPORT
-IF COURT CASE DOESNT HAPPEN THEN RON SAID THE POLICE OR THE AUTHORITIES SHOULD EXPLAIN TO THE MEMBERS WHY NOT
Come again? The club are entertaining taking WALDRON TO COURT? What a load of utter bollocks! What is that going to achieve?
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

NO. If the police prosecute the Storm will support the case however they can.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:maybe TC u should have read my comment two post later
What, so I need to trawl through each post individually to see if you have responded to someone else's response to an irate comment you (inaccurately) directed to me?

Thanks for letting me know. :oops:
luvin.the.storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

No wonder people are getting to scared to join up to this forum - or post if they do join - because they're likely to get shut down for supporting the TEAM! Not directors, admin, secretaries FORMER employees blah blah all that jazz.. Just a bunch of blokes working towards redemption while ignoring all the drama going on around them.

The 2011 season is just around the corner and yes the club admin doesnt exactly have their heads screwed on lately but is it realy too much to ask for you to give them a chance to work things out? Heck, last year we didnt even have a home stadium to move into til a few rounds in.. Oh bugger it, you'll complain no matter how much they work on it

News Ltd. can keep running the club and causing drama, scandal, whatever you want to call it.. as long as we still have a team *legally* running out onto that field playing their guts out every week i'll be happy.

*hi-5* to legally winning the Wooden Spoon? Seriously, anyone? Dont leave me hangin..!

Thanks heaps for the info update Sally! I know i'll be at the first game at AAMI Park, who else is game enough to show up?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

luvin.the.storm wrote: The 2011 season is just around the corner and yes the club admin doesnt exactly have their heads screwed on lately but is it realy too much to ask for you to give them a chance to work things out?
For some people it is too much to ask, personally i'm more than happy to give them a chance to see what they can do before crucifying them.
luvin.the.storm wrote:I know i'll be at the first game at AAMI Park, who else is game enough to show up?
I'll be there with bells on, cant wait!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Ice wrote:
luvin.the.storm wrote:I know i'll be at the first game at AAMI Park, who else is game enough to show up?
I'll be in The Bai Stand @ The Thunderdome with Storm gear on!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
luvin.the.storm wrote: The 2011 season is just around the corner and yes the club admin doesnt exactly have their heads screwed on lately but is it realy too much to ask for you to give them a chance to work things out?
For some people it is too much to ask, personally i'm more than happy to give them a chance to see what they can do before crucifying them.
100% will be....cannot wait for Round 1.

Storm are going to put the fear of God back in some very ordinary NRL teams when they are competing for points again.