2011 Trial Matches

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
superstar5677
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I'm just wondering if there are any confirmed dates for the trial matches yet? I'd really love to go to one, and I hope the dates come out soon! Any info??
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the only one i know of that was announced today is
Feb 19 storm vs raiders in bega
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

DATE OPPONENT VENUE KICK-OFF
Friday, February 11 Brisbane Easts and Ipswich Jets Langlands Park, Brisbane 7.00pm (4x20min quarters - 2 v Easts, 2 v Jets)
Saturday, February 19 Canberra Raiders Bega Recreational Oval, Bega TBA
Saturday, February 26 Brisbane Broncos Dolphin Oval, Redcliffe 7.00pm

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/defaul ... 011-trials

Doesn't look like we have a trial in Melbourne this year despite what Ron Gauci said in one ofhis online chats.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Scooter wrote: Doesn't look like we have a trial in Melbourne this year despite what Ron Gauci said in one of his online chats.
And this comes as a surprise because ::)

Call me cynical but I see very little changing over the next few years as regards.
Decent membership packages that are available before February
Realistic 'trial matches' in VICTORIA
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

personally i love that theres 2 trial games here in s/e queensland, i'll only get 2 other games in 2011 that i could watch them live.

but the memberships should be out earlier, i have a mate who was already talking about signing up for the bulldogs interstate membership and its a cracker of a deal, hopefully storm look at what they are doing!!!
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bourbon Rat wrote:
Scooter wrote: Doesn't look like we have a trial in Melbourne this year despite what Ron Gauci said in one of his online chats.
And this comes as a surprise because ::)

Call me cynical but I see very little changing over the next few years as regards.
Decent membership packages that are available before February
Realistic 'trial matches' in VICTORIA
Cynic!

Yeah, but I agree. When was the last trial held in Victoria that wasn't played in Melbourne. By my reckoning there has been only the one and that was in Moe. What year was that one?

Membership packages? Too often these aren't available until after Christmas. Will the packs be available in time for the first home game?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

They played a trail game against Newcastle at Optus Oval last year and in 2008 they played the Broncos also at Optus Oval. I was at both of them.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

glennb wrote:They played a trail game against Newcastle at Optus Oval last year and in 2008 they played the Broncos also at Optus Oval. I was at both of them.
Given our team's home games are played in Melbourne what purpose does playing trial matches in Melbourne serve?

The trial matches should be used as an opportunity to expand exposure of the game and as such they should be taken to regional areas. Hence my question about trials played in Victoria but outside of Melbourne.
onlooker
Squall
Squall

Trial Game for February Cancelled

It is with much disappointment that the proposed Dragons v Melbourne Storm pre season trial in Perth will now not be going ahead.
This is due to the scheduling of St George Illawarra’s World Club Challenge against Wigan to be played in the UK on February 27.
The Dragons tried everything they could to retain their Perth visit and at one stage even had the Rabbitoh’s in principal agreement to move the annual Charity Shield match to prevent cancellation of their original WA itinerary.
Protracted negotiations with the UKRL also stalled the Dragons final decision with Dragons CEO Peter Doust only advising the Melbourne Storm and the WARL last week.
Unfortunately both the Storm and the WARL have been extremely frustrated and inconvenienced by this 11th hour advice and all the combined efforts of Melbourne and ourselves to find an alternative NRL team have failed to secure an available club.
Whilst this is a gut-wrenching set back for us on several levels, we will continue to focus on better preparation for the 2011 WARL season, as well as going all out to fully maximize the South Sydney Rabbitoh’s v Brisbane Broncos clash in June.
There's a Storm brewing in Melbourne and it's forecast to hit Sydney on October 2
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Protracted negotiations with the UKRL also stalled the Dragons final decision with Dragons CEO Peter Doust only advising the Melbourne Storm and the WARL last week.
Had to laugh at this bit..................
Seems the Dragons really threatened to cancel the WCC if the RFL didn't put up a larger share of the costs ::)
Always thought the lizards where cheap.How does this compare with Storm & others going over there early and paying extra costs themselves :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surandy wrote:
glennb wrote:They played a trail game against Newcastle at Optus Oval last year and in 2008 they played the Broncos also at Optus Oval. I was at both of them.
Given our team's home games are played in Melbourne what purpose does playing trial matches in Melbourne serve?

The trial matches should be used as an opportunity to expand exposure of the game and as such they should be taken to regional areas. Hence my question about trials played in Victoria but outside of Melbourne.
Good point re: trials outside Melbourne, there was talk of a trial in Geelong at the start of this year but because we went to the UK for the WCC that was cancelled. It would be good to play a trial in Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo or even Shepparton.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

what about in albury/wodonga get right into the country, there was a trial match there years ago wasnt there?
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

storming wrote:what about in albury/wodonga get right into the country, there was a trial match there years ago wasnt there?
I know a few years back the CRL had proposed to play a City vs Country clash in Lavington (northern suburb of Albury) but that didn't go ahead as the ground wasn't going to be ready in time.

Surely the ground would be ready now and would be a good location for a trial. Whilst Lavington is not in Victoria it would be the next best thing.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

storming wrote:what about in albury/wodonga get right into the country, there was a trial match there years ago wasnt there?
The last trial that was in Albury was a said day five boys from Wagga Wagga my home town were kill when thier car hit the XTP. A bridge is now thier call five mates bridge. They were comimng down to see one of our up and comming boys who was also from Wagga, can not remember his name but i think he droped of the radar after that. That was not a fun trip we won but hey what a sad day.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

bushman wrote:
The last trial that was in Albury was a said day five boys from Wagga Wagga my home town were kill when thier car hit the XTP. A bridge is now thier call five mates bridge. They were comimng down to see one of our up and comming boys who was also from Wagga, can not remember his name but i think he droped of the radar after that. That was not a fun trip we won but hey what a sad day.
Nick Henderson
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately