Gareth Widdop, What position?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Do fans see him as a full back or a stand off? Which is his best position?
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On exposed form, FB is by far his best spot.
stormy bill
Squall
Squall

I agree FB is probably his best spot (Not sure who else England have for the spot).He will give a good account of himself wherever he plays. A touch of class about this Stormboy!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

In this week's Rugby League week, there is a story about the English fullback S. Tomkins being the next Billy Slater. This guy is from Wigan and has only just started playing at fullback. But he has not been named in the side to play teh Kiwi's. Widdop is playing there.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

fullback.. wing.. wouldnt have a clue about 5/8.. how'd he go making 15-20 more tackles a game?
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Gareth & Sam both suffer a similar predicament.
At Storm Gareth is unlikely to replace Billy,but since he is a creative player with an ability to spot,(and exploit a weakness) he will be used to fill a need we currently have at 6.
Sam IS the best FB at his club but is also a very versatile & creative 6/7.
Since the England team has two creative FB's the coach has opted to use Sam as an on field general rather than a strike weapon/last line of defence,(a Job we know Gareth is quite comfortable with).

Personal opinion ? Sam will grow into the 6 role & thrive,(though he may rotate with Billy)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bourbon Rat wrote:Gareth & Sam both suffer a similar predicament.
At Storm Gareth is unlikely to replace Billy,but since he is a creative player with an ability to spot,(and exploit a weakness) he will be used to fill a need we currently have at 6.
Sam IS the best FB at his club but is also a very versatile & creative 6/7.
Since the England team has two creative FB's the coach has opted to use Sam as an on field general rather than a strike weapon/last line of defence,(a Job we know Gareth is quite comfortable with).

Personal opinion ? Sam will grow into the 6 role & thrive,(though he may rotate with Billy)
Sam will grow into the 6 do you mean Gareth

I would say fulllback is his best position but he seems to adapt well wherever he plays.If he gets the time at 6 i think he will be a success.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

When he first started playing for the under 20's he had six of his back.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

BIG JIM wrote:Sam will grow into the 6 do you mean Gareth
OOPS :oops:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
superstar5677
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Well, he played fullback tonight, and he was pretty good.
I didn't see him making two many tackles, and he only made one error that I noticed on a pretty tough catch, but he scored a try and converted one... (I'm choosing not to remember the kick after his own try...)
He's going to do really well for the rest of the tournament, and I'm really interested to see what happens when he plays up against Billy... ;)
I think he'll be a choice number 6 next year, but we'll see what happens - he's gonna be a great player :) :) :)
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Dropped a catchable - Had the ball reefed out in a tackle - Got shifted to centre when Atkins went off,but overall a creditable performance against tougher & more seasoned opposition =D>
CentralParkWigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

He had a decent game IMO. Only a dropped bomb. Tackled Luke on the break very well and got out of his in goal nicely. He actually played better at centre than Atkins who was hopeless.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CentralParkWigan wrote:He had a decent game IMO. Only a dropped bomb. Tackled Luke on the break very well and got out of his in goal nicely. He actually played better at centre than Atkins who was hopeless.
I was watching him thinking of you guys,Sorry its 6 or GTFO,he has the fullback skills of Ben Farrar,
Loveable guy,awesome team player,good backing up but his no fullback,i know ill get flamed but
i didnt think much of him,besides he looked talented and would look alot better in the 6 jersey than the
1,you cannot have a fullback who sees the opposition running at him taking a bomb or its not gunna end well
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Eagle wrote:
CentralParkWigan wrote:He had a decent game IMO. Only a dropped bomb. Tackled Luke on the break very well and got out of his in goal nicely. He actually played better at centre than Atkins who was hopeless.
I was watching him thinking of you guys,Sorry its 6 or GTFO,he has the fullback skills of Ben Farrar,
Loveable guy,awesome team player,good backing up but his no fullback,i know ill get flamed but
i didnt think much of him,besides he looked talented and would look alot better in the 6 jersey than the
1,you cannot have a fullback who sees the opposition running at him taking a bomb or its not gunna end well
:lol: Youve never even seen him play 6.
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Michael :P wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
:lol: Youve never even seen him play 6.
I dont want to see him play 1 again,i felt sorry for him and even playing 1 i could see he can pass