Gareth Widdop, What position?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Looks like we might see Gareth @ 6 on Sunday ?
Hints dropped by the England coach in today's press conference.
Sam Tomkins back to FB
Robinson to 7
Gareth to 6
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't think Widdop will start the season at 5/8th..i'm pretty sure luke kelley will start there for now..from what I have seen of Widdop he needs a lot of improvement before he is a regular first grader..in saying that he has the talent it might just take some time to develop him...

I'm really excited about Duffie and O'niel tho :)
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

what about in the centers? kelly would be good at 6, i just want both widdop and kelly playing
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Gareth did OK when they moved him to centre in the England squad,so I don't see when not.
At least from there he could be rotated or used as cover for the halves spot.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

O'Neill, Stanley, Nielsen and even Duffie are all better center options then Gareth
luvin.the.storm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Why play a half in the centres - leaving genuine quality centres on the sideline - just for the sake of rotation?
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Have to agree why play a person out of position in the centres, we have heaps of other much better options..in a few seasons he will be good, just not atm...he will be a handy backup for Billy when origin comes tho
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's naturally a fullback from what I've seen on him but the game has changed so much in the last 5-10 years where the fullback is an extra play maker anyway so I reckon he could make a decent fist of five-eighth the way GI did in 2007-08. I could maybe see him at centre as well.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Having said that, if I had to make the hard choice I'd put Widdop at five-eighth ahead of Luke Kelly in 2011...
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bad news for Luke, good news for Gareth
Luke KELLY (Osteitis Pubis) – Had surgery to fix severe Osteitis Pubis in September. It will be a long 6-month rehab for Luke, but he is looking positively towards the new year. He will miss the first few games of the 2011 season.
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Michael :P wrote:Bad news for Luke, good news for Gareth
Luke KELLY (Osteitis Pubis) – Had surgery to fix severe Osteitis Pubis in September. It will be a long 6-month rehab for Luke, but he is looking positively towards the new year. He will miss the first few games of the 2011 season.
It changes nothing because Widdop was always the first choice replacement for Finch, the only reason you saw Luke playing was because of the injuries to Brett and Gareth.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Welcome back grouch :-*
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Michael :P wrote:Welcome back grouch :-*
Grouch!!!
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BigG wrote:
Grouch!!!
There is a touch of the curmudgeon to you Big G
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Michael :P wrote:
BigG wrote:
Grouch!!!
There is a touch of the curmudgeon to you Big G
It's maybe I'm just a little sick of the dribble from some of the posters on here, so yes there is a bit of Victor in me!