Slater set to sign new deal

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5939594630

HE arrived in Melbourne eight years ago with just a suitcase.

Now Test fullback Billy Slater is in the midst of penning a new $1 million deal that will keep him at the Storm for life.

On the eve of the Four Nations campaign, The NRL's most marketable player has declared he's going nowhere, a massive boost to the Melbourne Storm as they aim to rebuild their tarnished brand.

Already contracted to the Storm until 2012, Slater and his manager George Mimis have begun contract talks with chief executive Ron Gauci, with the aim of extending his tenure for a further three seasons.

It's a position that seemed impossible at the height of the Storm salary cap scandal only eight months ago.

"But what happened over the last few months has only enhanced the camaraderie of the place," Slater said.

"When things aren't going so well, it's easier for everyone to take their own direction, but the club is just so strong."

Slater's story is a good one.

He began playing rugby league for the Brothers Club in Innisfail in far north Queensland when he was four.

At 15, he'd had enough of the game and turned to life as a trackwork jockey, going on to work with Gai Waterhouse in Sydney.

But eventually his love of rugby league lured him back.

In 2001, he drove 20 hours to Brisbane for a trial with the North Devils, which was then a feeder club for the Melbourne Storm.

Later that day he signed his first NRL contract.

"I went down there as a 19-year-old kid. I was single, I had a suitcase - that's all I had," Slater said.

"Now I've got a house, a beautiful wife and two kids.

"I've grown a lot since I've gone down there. Melbourne's home for me now.

"You always weigh up your options and your opportunities when you sit down and start thinking about negotiating a new contract.

"But that's the place for me and if we could do a deal until the end of my career, I would be very proud to be a one-club man.

"I have been involved with the club for nearly 10 years now.

"It's a place that's given me an opportunity to fulfil my dreams and a chance for me now to finish my career at the place where it all started."
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Onya Billy.. Love this kid.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

love him......never thought he would leave but im currently more worried about cooper
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Excellent news and made my day reading my favorite Storm player will be with us for the rest of his career. These are the sort of blokes that epitomise the Storm culture who are fully committed to rebuilding our great club and not walking out on it when the going got tough.

You're an absolute champion in every sense of the word Bill =D>
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote:love him......never thought he would leave but im currently more worried about cooper

Straight swap for Thurston ;)
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why would you want Thurston for Cronk. Thurston is a fool and also I think Cronk is a much better player than Thurston.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote:Why would you want Thurston for Cronk. Thurston is a fool and also I think Cronk is a much better player than Thurston.

I dont think i wrote i did ,what i did write was straight swap meaning i have heard this may happen.Why would you disrupt a great combination of Slater ,Cronk and Smith.Source was friend from Bowen.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Source was friend from Bowen
Would that be Matt or Brenton :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I wonder how long it will take for people to start pissing and moaning about us not sharing our stars with the other clubs.

Billy's ours. Not yours. You can't have him.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Just wait for it - And you can be guarenteed it will all be in News Ltd papers.
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

sallymay wrote:love him......never thought he would leave but im currently more worried about cooper
I'm not sure why you would be worried about Cooper. He is signed until the end of 2013 so the only way he leaves is if the club grants him a release. Sure this may happen if we need further salary cap relief but it would be on the clubs terms. Unlikely I would have thought.
stormluvva
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

That kind of loyalty is rare these days. A player of his caliber could pretty much name his price at any club, they'd all find room under their caps I'm sure :lol:
Bring On 2011!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

JAMIE wrote:Just wait for it - And you can be guarenteed it will all be in News Ltd papers.
You're starting to sound like a broken record.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately