GI Poll: What's your decision?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

In the clubs best interests for the future, do you think GI should stay or go?

Stay
17%
Go
83%

Total votes: 42
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

[quote="Bourbon Rat"]
Go - Stay - It's irrelevant.

As a player he's done a lot at Melbourne & for Melbourne.Spent his entire career so far with either Storm or it's feeder.Maybe he sees a new challenge in moving on.He owes me nothing.

As a fan I owe him the respect & support that I give to anyone who achieves what he has with the team.I owe him the loyalty & support I give to every player that pulls on a Storm jersey.Other than this I owe him nothing.

Go - Stay - Irrelevant - We owe each other nought.

Bit long winded when you could have just said "Your Not Bothered"
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Not bothered would imply that I'm NOT interested  :P
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

have any of you considered he might be putting up his hand to be the one to fall on the sword?  All the conversations point out that its either him or 3 or 4 others...

Might be a bit altruistic but the quote goes something like "no greater love has a man that he would sacrifice himself for the greater good".  Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and decided he has the least to lose and it would be better for the club if he was the one to move on.  I'd like to think it is something more than money...
Last edited by Chip on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

He is not falling on the sword.  His ego is to big for that, it is all about what is best for him and where he can get the most money for his family. 
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chip wrote: have any of you considered he might be putting up his hand to be the one to fall on the sword? 
In a perfect world we'd all like to think that but IMO it's not the case. Especially considering he sounded out the move himself a couple months ago asking what Izzy was doing. They were direct quotes from a close friend of his and weren't the usual paper talk rubbish so we can't blame it on that. if he was falling on his own sword, he's had more than enough opportunity to say so but he hasn't said boo which is another reason i find it very hard to believe he's doing it soley for the good of the club.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: He is not falling on the sword.  His ego is to big for that, it is all about what is best for him and where he can get the most money for his family.  
How the fvk would you know. Oh thats right you dont !

As opposed to OTH and BR well thought out and mature posts this is at the other end of the spectrum. Fact is its almost au fait accompli one of our top 4 paid players has to go, and if you dont want one of the other 3 to go why put shit on Greg for going. Further on from that nearly every other player outside of Billy, Cam and maybe Cooper have been shopping themselves around for months looking for the best deal, you going to put crap on them too.

BigG wrote:
Bourbon Rat wrote: Go - Stay - It's irrelevant.

As a player he's done a lot at Melbourne & for Melbourne.Spent his entire career so far with either Storm or it's feeder.Maybe he sees a new challenge in moving on.He owes me nothing.

As a fan I owe him the respect & support that I give to anyone who achieves what he has with the team.I owe him the loyalty & support I give to every player that pulls on a Storm jersey.Other than this I owe him nothing.

Go - Stay - Irrelevant - We owe each other nought.

Bit long winded when you could have just said "Your Not Bothered"
More like pragmatic.
Last edited by Noa Nadruku on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Ice wrote:
Chip wrote: have any of you considered he might be putting up his hand to be the one to fall on the sword? 
In a perfect world we'd all like to think that but IMO it's not the case. Especially considering he sounded out the move himself a couple months ago asking what Izzy was doing. They were direct quotes from a close friend of his and weren't the usual paper talk rubbish so we can't blame it on that. if he was falling on his own sword, he's had more than enough opportunity to say so but he hasn't said boo which is another reason i find it very hard to believe he's doing it soley for the good of the club.
yeah I don't think its his sole reason - its a bit more complex than that but regardless of the article mentioned, the papers tend to take whatever is said out of context & it should be taken with a grain of salt.  Having said that the players have known about this for longer than a couple of months (as we have) so you can't blame a guy for looking to secure his future, albeit outside of Storm.  Hurts, but I don't think for a minute that when Bellamy expresses how much it would mean to lose GI for him personally that a large part of that sentiment is not reciprocated.  As for the opportunity to talk about it to the public / not saying boo, etc.  if there is one thing I have picked up from this forum (and I am relatively new & don't know the guy like you do) its that GI is a very private / reserved person - maybe he doesn't know how to front up to the fans in this way.  I would like to think that he will at some point.
My point is,  we all can only speculate the whys and wherefores & we are led by our emotions...Storm fans are already feeling hurt & betrayed on so many levels that everyone is scrambling to make sense of it all - still.
In my short time on this forum I admire the passion, insights and the debates - I have rarely seen Storm players attacked in any way except for their playing ability & I have put all the character slagging comments about GI down to the natural frustration & hurt you are all feeling.  I have no  doubts that Storm will rise above this too
HayneHeadbutt
Squall
Squall

Sports Tonight just said Titans have tabled an even bigger offer than the Broncos to get Inglis. They didn't say how much.
[img]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww82/ADJ1/stripped.gif[/img]
[img]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww82/ADJ1/haynetoogood2-1.jpg[/img]
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wow at the poll result. I chose go, because it really seems like he wants to be in Brisbane with his Mrs, and imo one of the big 4 have to go, so it may as well be Greg. At least he'd be happier there from all reports.

Apparently it's 1 mil over 2 years the Titans are offering.
Show em Howe
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

good riddance.

He just wants the cash.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

how does he just want the cash???  He is on more here than they are offering...
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

My understanding of the situation is (and I accept I may be wrong, but this is what I make of the often contradictory news articles): 

The Storm will probably have to make up his pay if he goes = same pay at least.

If he stays he will probably have to extend his contract to accept less pay (i.e. the only way Gallop has indicated that the NRL will allow pay cuts for players to stay). 

Therefore, if he stays he gets less $, if he goes he gets the same or more $.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote: how does he just want the cash???  He is on more here than they are offering...
:lol:, great minds. I was sitting here eating lunch and the same thought popped -  :lol: -  in my head for those saying he's chasing more money.

And Wavey, its in our interestes that GI makes them stump up as much as they can, so he is actually doing us a favour. Us much as some people dont want to hear that.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

Noa, totally agree, it is in our interests that whoever he goes to stumps up as much as possible.  Unfortunately though, it looks like the Broncos are in the box seat for his signature, and it's pretty shrewd business to not provide a cent more than their original offer given that GI (allegedly) has a preference to go there, and secondly the Storm will make up the rest of the pay.

The point I was trying to make was that if he stays at Storm he is likely to be asked to take a paycut, if he goes he is then able to maintain his pay, that would be the only way he would be going for the money.  Personally I don't believe the money factor enters into it for GI. 

My philosophy is quite simple really, if at the end of the day a player wants to leave the Storm, then it doesn't matter who that player is they can go.  I don't hold a grudge towards them, they have their own reasons for wanting to leave.  I want to see players who want to be here and play for the Storm.

Personally, as much as I would love for GI to stay, I believe it would cause too much disruption to the team for one of either Cronk, Slater or Smith to leave at this stage, we need to try and keep the backbone intact.  And I would really like to keep players like Manu, Blair, O'Neill, etc., at the club.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go - If we have to get rid of one of the big four.

Stay - If we can keep them all.
Melbourne Storm 2012 - Purple Passion, Purple Pride.