2011 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Monsoon
Monsoon

Unlikely one would think.

a) He is under contract
b) Why would he go back to a club that kept him in reserves for years
c) Why would he leave a starting spot in the best team in the comp
d) We are VERY thin on centreds next year, doubt management would release him early
e) If he leaves meh, been ok but we've lost better and become stronger, if he is after a quick $ on the back of his form and $ is the main priority, bye bobby.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Unfortunately its true, unbelievable we have released 3 quality centres still under contract and signed nada, surely a signing is on the horizon, as for blair well as many before you i get the feeling leaving melbourne will be career suicide, good luck back at windsor.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stanley was out of contract next year, Champion had the option in his favor to leave so we couldn't have stopped him leaving anyway if we wanted to either and didn't Blair only sign a one year deal? As mentioned i highly doubt they'd release him if he was contracted unless something else is going on behind the scenes we don't know about. I've always been of the opinion if a player doesn't want to be a Melbourne Storm player then they shouldn't be here and these 3 are no different.

Looking on to next year, given we won't be forking out any money on these players as well as losing Blairy you'd have to think there's a nice little stockpile of coin ready to be spent and no doubt Bellyache and Ponissi have worked out a plan on how to best use it. As someone mentioned in another thread, Ponissi said just the other night that next seasons roster will be the most stable it's been in all his time at the club and that's saying something. he'd have known already about Blair before mentioning that so i'm be looking forward to who we'll be bringing in to make us even harder to beat next season ;)
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

Ice wrote:Stanley was out of contract next year, Champion had the option in his favor to leave so we couldn't have stopped him leaving anyway if we wanted to either and didn't Blair only sign a one year deal?
From the Storm website;

Source: www.melbournestorm.com.au

Melbourne Storm has today confirmed the signing of prop Jaiman Lowe and centre Maurice Blair for the 2011 and 2012 National Rugby League seasons.

Lowe, 27, and Blair, 25, will bring a wealth of experience to the Storm for 2011, with the pair signing two year deals with the club.

Would have to have been released by the club. Unless there is some family issue or the like I just don't get this move from either the Storm or Bobby himself.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well you'd have to think there's something else going on behind the scenes that we don't know about then as surely the club wouldn't just let him move on for no apparent reason. Who knows but i'm thinking if they released him so readily we've already got a replacement signing or 2 in sight.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

1999 how do you know it is ture. Sika was going to Rabbits last week.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd be shattered if Maurice went back to Panthers especially when he has another year left on his contract. Panthers wouldn't give him a game for the 18 months before he came here and now he is going really well at the Storm.

Maybe other clubs are letting their fringe players with promise go to Storm so we can do the hard work of improving their game and then taking them back of us eg Stanley and reportedly now M. Blair.

I tell you what if I was Blair I wouldn't be going back to a place that made me run around in NSW Cup for the best part of two years.

For Storm to release him from his contract (if they have) there must be some sort of personal / family issues where Maurice would want to go back to western Sydney.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:I'd be shattered if Maurice went back to Panthers especially when he has another year left on his contract. Panthers wouldn't give him a game for the 18 months before he came here and now he is going really well at the Storm.

Maybe other clubs are letting their fringe players with promise go to Storm so we can do the hard work of improving their game and then taking them back of us eg Stanley and reportedly now M. Blair.

I tell you what if I was Blair I wouldn't be going back to a place that made me run around in NSW Cup for the best part of two years.

For Storm to release him from his contract (if they have) there must be some sort of personal / family issues where Maurice would want to go back to western Sydney.
Frank Ponissi advised on Thursday night at the member event that Maurice Blair is part of the confirmed 2012 roster.

So...if you beleive Frank Ponissi...the Bobby Blair rumour is just that...CRAP
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Steve Mascord posted this on twitter last night.
Maurice Blair is NOT going back to Penrith and is upset at the rumou
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

But Josh Massoud of DT says.
In other recruitment news, Penrith will welcome back Maurice Blair for the next two seasons after agreeing to terms with the Melbourne centre during the week.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/d ... 6100126222
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bloody hell now im confused so melbourne officals have told our highest members that he signed but a couple days later we find out he might be leaving

I thought u couldnt sign for a new club after june 30 why do they even have that date

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bobby Blair said this
I’m very excited about getting down to Melbourne and starting pre-season training with the Storm,” said Blair.

“It’s going to be a new challenge for me and that in itself is exciting.

“I saw first-hand the Storm’s facilities in Melbourne last week and they’re world-class – some of the best I’ve ever seen.”

why would he want to voluntarily want to return to Penrith with their supposed sub standard training facilities.

In fact...after hearing our back room guys on thursday night....i'd be very surprised that there isn't a queue 2 miles long of NRL players desperately wanting in to Melbourne Storm
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well I am now truely confused.

I know what I heard Frank Ponissi say...but Daily Crapagraph is reporting Bobby Blair's movement back to Penrith as fact.

Jeez....NRL player rumours are total b&llsh$t
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:bloody hell now im confused so melbourne officals have told our highest members that he signed but a couple days later we find out he might be leaving

I thought u couldnt sign for a new club after june 30 why do they even have that date

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Sally, you're the twitter queen around here so is there any chance you can get on Massoud's and ask him WTF is going on and where he got his info from? I'd do it myself but i don't have an account as i don't read/use it. Just reading Mascord's tweet i'd be more inclined to believe that given he said Blair is "upset at the rumor". Surely he wouldn't write he was upset if he hadn't had any contact with the player. On the other hand it's been said a million times in the DT that a player is leaving to go somewhere else then turns out there's no truth to it whatsoever.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I know I am spitting hairs, but it says agreed to terms last week, not signed.

If it was a done deal, wouldn't the Panthers have announced it last week. Also on the NRL site under 2012 player movements, it is not listed. All the other signings annouced recntly are on this page.