New CEO announced

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mr Soia
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Melbourne Storm appoints new CEO
STATHI PAXINOS, SCOTT SPITS
July 21, 2010 - 2:49PM
Melbourne Storm has appointed a new chief executive, filling the vacancy created by the departure of former acting chief executive Matt Hanson, who left the club in the wake of the salary cap breaches revealed in April.

Victorian businessman Ron Gauci replaces Frank Stanton, who has been acting chief executive of the club since April 22.

"I don’t underestimate the enormity of the challenges we face but I do know we have fantastic foundations to build upon – a magnificent club culture and extraordinarily loyal and dedicated supporters," Gauci said in a statement.

“Our players, supporters and employees have shown remarkable resilience and great pride since April, and I will work hard to build on this foundation and win their ongoing support.”

Gauci, who has held senior management and executive positions with various companies including Telstra and IBM, was unveiled at a media conference in Melbourne this afternoon.

League circles were abuzz with speculation today when a press release for a "major announcement" was sent out that the Storm were about to announce that Greg Inglis, one of its 'big four’, would be joining the Brisbane Broncos next season.

At least one newspaper reported the imminent departure of the superstar on its website before taking down the article.

However, Melbourne instead announced Gauci as the replacement for former chief executive Brian Waldron and former acting chief executive Hanson, who were both implicated in the club’s large scale salary cap rorting that has seen it lose two premierships and be consigned to playing this season for no points.

Source: theage.com.au
and here is some info from 2008:

Ron Gauci is Managing Director – Australia and New Zealand for Verizon Business.

Gauci has extensive management and leadership experience in the ICT industry. Prior to his role at Verizon Business, he was a lead partner in the financial services consulting practice for IBM GBS in Australia. He has also held senior management and executive positions at Siebel Systems, Telstra Corporation, AAP Communications Services, AusMosys, Ferntree Computer Systems and Microsoft over a twenty plus year career in the ICT industry.

Gauci is the Victoria Chair of the AIIA and has a Bachelor of Education Degree in Arts as well as completing post graduate studies. He is also a member of the International CEO Forum, on the Board of Governors for the American Chamber of Commerce and has held a number of board positions.

He is married with five children. He has also a long history of active involvement in Australian Rules Football at junior development level as well as a keen passion for music and golf.
Last edited by Mr Soia on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke aka the original Stormboy of [b]Sydney Stormtroopers[/b].
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Welcome to the family!!!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I know it sounds sceptical and suspicious but that didn`t take long. I wonder where he fits in to the News Ltd picture :?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to Foxsports news report.  He applied for the job before April 22.  Maybe he was the only left who wanted the job.  In the media report he is already using the word 'we' a lot when refering to Storm.  I think the is a good sign.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

would seem that our new Italian CEO has anglicised his surname to Gorsey.

AS LONG as he leaves football matters to Craig and Frank Ponissi and doesn't allow the crap that went on between 2006 - 2010 to occur again....he can knock himself out as Gauci or Gorsey...I don't care.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

watch the video on the storm website - apart for some dodgy audio during question time, you do get a feel for his style. 

He loved the united front image on the fan day - said it made him want the job to be able to work with that type of culture.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Never heard of him. All the best, cobber. You'll need it!
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

After watching the video - he seems to be a fair, decent guy.  I'm okay with this appointment.

Hopefully I won't regret saying this months down the track.
You had me at meat tornado.
mb09
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Woody wrote: I know it sounds sceptical and suspicious but that didn`t take long. I wonder where he fits in to the News Ltd picture :?
Very close to News Ltd.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I seem to recall Waldron being keen to get a step up into News Ltd via the Storm job
Look what he was capable of doing to keep uncle Rupert happy.

Yours truly will NEVER trust another News Ltd appointee,(or any of their board members)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
madstorm
Squall
Squall

Storm Spirit wrote: would seem that our new Italian CEO has anglicised his surname to Gorsey.

AS LONG as he leaves football matters to Craig and Frank Ponissi and doesn't allow the crap that went on between 2006 - 2010 to occur again....he can knock himself out as Gauci or Gorsey...I don't care.

I think you will find that Gauci is Maltese. 
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

stormsally wrote: watch the video on the storm website - apart for some dodgy audio during question time, you do get a feel for his style. 

He loved the united front image on the fan day - said it made him want the job to be able to work with that type of culture
Perfect, because one of the main reasons i a fan and member is not because we were successful, but it was the attitude of the players and the closeness of the fans, I just hope it doesn't drop off
thunder
Squall
Squall

I believe he is Australian. What on earth does the origin of his name or ethnic background have to do with his position?

The guy was born here - he's an Aussie end of story - although he probably hears where are you from? Wog! etc.... all the time!
That's the problem with the Aussie attitude! Unless you look anglo ur not an Aussie!

I don't trust the fact that News is involved in his appointment! Very Sus!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Who else was going to invloved in his appointment?  We are owned by Newslimited.  News appiontment Brain Waldron and they got that so wrong.  They could not make the same mistake twice!!!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

A persons geographical & ethnic origins are totally irrelevant to this family,as long as.........

They're the right colour - Navy,Purple,White & Yellow Image

And have an extremely Stormy disposition Image
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields