Newspapers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Has anyone noticed the amount of stories about us in Newslimited (maily the Daily Telegraph) papers is getting less and less.  I wonder if they have been told do this from the people in charge? 
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No doubt whatsoever there. News did exactly what they wanted to do, they implicated who they wanted to implicate to bare the brunt of the blame and spun the whole thing to make themselves look like they knew nothing about. Once the player has been complete and we're under the cap for next year we'll read nothing more nagative about the whole thing from News Limited papers and it'll be business as usual. Absolutley despicable organization and scum of the highest order.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Good to see that The Age seems to be keeping it on the front page at the moment with articles about Rob Moodie and Mat Hanson. That must be jacking off News no end :)
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Agree with all the above comments.

I used to buy the Sun, but now the Age will be my newspaper of choice.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No surpise our scumbag owners leaked this to their equally scummy newspaper soley trying to discredit Hanson and Moody which just happened to come out a few days after both of them had the balls to speak out about them. Can these pricks get any lower? Seeing the way they conduct business i have no doubt they can and more than likely will.

Storm ledger of lies

ON February 25 this year, Dr Alan Rob Moodie walked into Carlton Police Station with a statutory declaration claiming the Melbourne Storm were $9715 below the salary cap. Under the watch of constable Caitlin Jones - a registered Justice of the Peace - Moodie signed the document, which confirmed his belief that the "contents of the report are true and correct in every particular".

Five months later, the setting has adopted an ironic twist because, while no evidence has been uncovered to suggest Moodie had any knowledge of the rorts, police are now reviewing the scandal. Disgraced former CEO Matt Hanson's copy was signed almost three weeks later before a solictor, whose services he might require once more should the Victorian police decide to press perjury charges.Both Moodie and Hanson's declarations were attached to a ledger detailing a breakdown of payments for Melbourne's top 25 players this season.

According to the list, the squad was valued at $4,090,285 after concessions and bonuses had been taken into account - $9,715 below the $4.1 million cap. According to the NRL's subsequent findings in April that saw the club stripped of two premierships and ruled ineligible to compete for points this year, the true amount was $4,815,214 - a breach of $724,956.

Last week, the transgression was racheted beyond seven figures when club owner News Limited (publisher of The Daily Telegraph) released its independent audit of Melbourne's books. When the dust settled, there was a $1,018,253 discrepancy between the figure pledged in the statutory declarations and that discovered by the independent auditor, Deloitte.

Hanson did not return calls last night while Moodie - in Vienna for an AIDS conference - was not available for comment. The NRL, which drew-up the statutory declaration and received them as part of its annual salary cap audit, was yesterday shown the full audit report and revealed further inquiries would now be made. "I can confirm our solicitors and [salary cap auditor] Ian Schubert met with Deloitte yesterday afternoon and were shown the full report," Gallop said.

"As a result of the presentation, there's more information we'll be asking for." In response to the declarations supplied by Moodie and Hanson, Gallop said: "It's a serious obligation for the chairman and CEO of the club to provide us with a statutory declaration that sets out the club's true position," Gallop said. "We want true disclosure of what the club's top 25 players are being paid - it's not to be taken lightly."

The declarations confirm the signatory has made "all due and proper inquiries in order to ascertain the nature and the amount of all of the remuneration." It also warns the signatory of the provisions of Victoria's Evidence Act, which sets penalties, including imprisonment, for those who provide false information. The matter has been referred to Victoria Police for investigation.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have no issues with that story coming out - yep, it's prob a bit of mudslinging by news back at Hansen, but if it's true, then he has no right of reply in the fairfax media hooking into News... he's been caught out, and I have no time for him
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
billies later
Squall
Squall

The war won;t end.  Fairfax papers have loaded up again today!

I am not Billythekidslater  
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'd pray for the death of news if it wouldnt kill you guys to
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It has been quiet in the Sydeny papers.  There has been nothing in the Daily Telegraph on us all week. 
The last two times it was this quiet we all know what happened.
I fear something big is going to happen again.

I really hope it is a case of no news is good news this time.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think the bosses have told them to back off a little as the job is done.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I really hope it is a case of no News is good news this time.
Hell some of us would see No News as EXCELLENT news  :twisted:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hartigan loaded Wilson wth whatever she wanted. In more ways than way it appears.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League