Greg Inglis to Brisbane

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
WiganStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid - but why on earth would storm have to pay another club to take one of thier players? Especially when its the player themselves that wants to leave?

Seems a bit backward to me. In England then its the team losing the player that gets paid...not the other way round
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

WiganStorm wrote: Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid - but why on earth would storm have to pay another club to take one of thier players? Especially when its the player themselves that wants to leave?

Seems a bit backward to me. In England then its the team losing the player that gets paid...not the other way round
That is the NRL rule on player movement AFAIK.....if there is a difference in the contract amount, then the club losing the player carries the difference in their salary cap. Not sure if Gallop dreamt up the rule or if it was in place before him.

If Gallop did dream up this rule...then it is a prime example of why the law bans relatives getting married and having children
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
WiganStorm
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Storm Spirit wrote:
WiganStorm wrote: Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid - but why on earth would storm have to pay another club to take one of thier players? Especially when its the player themselves that wants to leave?

That is the NRL rule on player movement AFAIK.....if there is a difference in the contract amount, then the club losing the player carries the difference in their salary cap. Not sure if Gallop dreamt up the rule or if it was in place before him.

If Gallop did dream up this rule...then it is a prime example of why the law bans relatives getting married and having children

I reiterate that it seems a bit backward. With the amount of players Storm may have to lose then they may end up being no better of with all the top up payments they have to shell out, while having a much smaller squad!! Quite possibly the most stupid sporting rule i have ever heard.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I would say form this story the deal is done and he is going to Brisbane, the only sticking point is the amount we have to pay and in what year will it be included in our salary cap.  

Storm would want either not to pay any money or if we had to paid 200k to have it included in this years cap and not next years.  Remember way back at the start of the cap drama.  We said that Dallas' payout figure should be in last years cap and the NRL said it should be in this years figure.   If we get Gallop to do argee to have the payout included in this year cap, we would then hae 650k to spend  and maybe not loose any more players.  It will come down to whether Gallop wants to "even out the playing field" or "hurt Storm" even more.  Also, Gallop will do what ever Newslimied tells him to do.  So they will decide where they want him to play and Gallop will agree to that deal.

Furthermore,  I think the reason G.I has not spoken about this is his is gutless.  He asked to go and he wants to go.  But he has lied for the last few months saying he would do anyting to stay, would rather play cricket than play against Melbourne Storm and money does not matter.  Right, if he did not ask for the release his name would not even be on the list of players that might go and if money does not matter why did he not take the first flat 400k offer from Brisbane, because he is greedy.

Lastly,  if Storm players are not allowed to take pay cuts below their market value to get the club under the club, because Gallop said so.  How come Brisbane are allowed to offer him 400k (which would below his maket value)?  One rule for us and one for another.

Sorry, this is long, But I am angry about how the goal post keep moving on us.
Crippstor
Squall
Squall

Whilst I would love the Big 4 to stay, if GI wants to go, then fine, but I for one do not want us paying him one red cent for the next 2 years whilst he is playing in Brisbane. If he wants to go, he goes for the Broncos offer or not at all, and he quits league to go and be with Sally. Let's see just how much of this really is his desire to be with her up there, and how much is simply trying to screw as much money out of us as possible by getting us to pay part of his salary
Crippstor - Lord of The Realm
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You're right.....it hurts heaps because I feel that Inglis has said one thing while planning another.

He said he owed the Storm........he said he wanted to stay.......he said he would do anything else but play against his mates and the Storm....but he has obviously been hatching a plan to get to Brisvegas all along.

That is what hurts. If he had come out and said....look I really don't think my future is at Melbourne Storm so when the dust settles on the whole salary cap business I am going to be the first to put my hand up to leave...then I would actually have some respect for the guy. At least he would have been honest aboutthe whole matter and not lying to take the heat off him.

Maybe a League superstar....but not a role model for any kid to follow that's for sure....
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

WiganStorm wrote: Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid - but why on earth would storm have to pay another club to take one of their players? Especially when its the player themselves that wants to leave?

Wonderful system isn't it  :roll:
Even Co-op championship league clubs would have to pay a 'transfer fee' if they wanted to take a player before his existing contract expired.Yet in the NRL a player can be hooked by another club for a cut rate & the club getting shafted has to take up the slack for the duration of the 'broken' contract.
This is what Gallop calls 'spreading the talent' & 'fair market value'  :evil:

And if you think that's strange - work on this.
Player from club owned by News Ltd breaks contract & goes to other News Ltd club for less than he's currently paid.NRL,(controlled by News Ltd) insist that the club he is leaving 'top up' his new salary for what would have been the rest of term on his existing contract.

No 'conflict' of interest there - right  #-o
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
I love Cooper
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Crippstor wrote: Whilst I would love the Big 4 to stay, if GI wants to go, then fine, but I for one do not want us paying him one red cent for the next 2 years whilst he is playing in Brisbane. If he wants to go, he goes for the Broncos offer or not at all, and he quits league to go and be with Sally. Let's see just how much of this really is his desire to be with her up there, and how much is simply trying to screw as much money out of us as possible by getting us to pay part of his salary
+1
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

GI is......a little overrated,his palm does shit when u go low enough
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I know it's only a family friend speaking but even those people saying that Inglis's 1st preference is to stay at Storm and that he is being "pushed out" would have to start questioning his loyalty to the Melbourne Storm and his team mates.

Looks like Lockyer is his new plaything.

Lifted from a Courier Mail article on 18th July 2010............................

"The Courier Mail can reveal Inglis made a brief trip north last week to visit his fiancee, who works in Brisbane. He also caught up with family friend Adrian Coolwell, whom Inglis regards as his "second dad" after moving in with him at 16 when he was sent to play for former Melbourne feeder club Brisbane Norths. Coolwell said on Sunday he was confident Inglis would end up at Red Hill.

"I saw Greg last Thursday and he told me he was keen to come up here," he said.

"The big thing for Greg is he wants to play with Lockyer, he's hoping Locky will play another couple of seasons.

"I believe that's why he is coming up here - it's a big reason why GI wants to play here.
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote:
WiganStorm wrote: Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid - but why on earth would storm have to pay another club to take one of their players? Especially when its the player themselves that wants to leave?

Wonderful system isn't it  :roll:
Even Co-op championship league clubs would have to pay a 'transfer fee' if they wanted to take a player before his existing contract expired.Yet in the NRL a player can be hooked by another club for a cut rate & the club getting shafted has to take up the slack for the duration of the 'broken' contract.
This is what Gallop calls 'spreading the talent' & 'fair market value'  :evil:

And if you think that's strange - work on this.
Player from club owned by News Ltd breaks contract & goes to other News Ltd club for less than he's currently paid.NRL,(controlled by News Ltd) insist that the club he is leaving 'top up' his new salary for what would have been the rest of term on his existing contract.

No 'conflict' of interest there - right   #-o
Its actually quite common in sports competitions that have salary-caps, you'll see it happen now and again in the NFL, NBA and NHL eg, and thus why our European friends have no understanding of it, so to make out its some "backwards" rule solely relating to league is plainly wrong.

Its wisely designed  for teams that dont want to keep a player but cant just break his contract and can find a team willing to take on at least some of the salary.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Noa Nadruku wrote: Its wisely designed  for teams that dont want to keep a player but cant just break his contract and can find a team willing to take on at least some of the salary.
What about when a player actually wants to leave by his own choice ? Is it fair to pay any part of that salary ?
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote:
Noa Nadruku wrote: Its wisely designed  for teams that dont want to keep a player but cant just break his contract and can find a team willing to take on at least some of the salary.
What about when a player actually wants to leave by his own choice ? Is it fair to pay any part of that salary ?
Depends on if its to keep a team under cap e.g. if a player wants to leave, his current team doesnt want him too but has no choice because they have to slash salary then YES they are obliged to make up the difference. However if said player wants to go and his team lets him go then its my understanding they do not have pay any of the contract as basically they have both made his current contract null & void.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another day and still nothing from him. Maybe the deals on the table and he just hasn't made up his mind yet.
I guess since he hasn't denied it like Cooper and Billy and co, it must be true that he's going.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Damned CENTRES!!!
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler