JOHNSON PLEA TO GREG INGLIS

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
estormboy
Squall
Squall

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... olumn.html

Few players have had a better chance to run their eye over Australia superstar Greg Inglis than Dallas Johnson, so there is little wonder the Catalans forward is urging his former club, state and national team-mate to come and join him in Super League.

Inglis, a centre reminiscent of Mal Meninga in his prime, is regarded by many as the best player on the planet, so there is little wonder a worldwide scramble for his signature is currently unfolding after it emerged he could leave Melbourne at the end of the season.

The Storm are desperate to keep the 23-year-old but, as they look to trim their squad to lower their wage bill following the salary cap scandal that rocked the game in April, Inglis has spoken about the possibility of leaving the Victoria club.

He is not short of suitors either, with Australian rules club Essendon thought to be hopeful of enticing him to switch sports and follow in the footsteps of current and former Queensland team-mates Israel Folau and Karmichael Hunt.

Staying in the NRL does not seem to be an option after Inglis stated he would rather start playing cricket than line up against the Storm and Johnson, who played with Inglis for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia prior to his move to France, believes his friend should consider a similar switch.

"A lot of the guys, like me, are so passionate about that club (Melbourne), so it would be so hard to play against them," he told Press Association Sport.

"I would say to Greg that an option is to come over here and experience a new way of life.

"Personally I always wanted to come over and see a new part of life and it's a great experience. Greg has plenty of time ahead of him and I would tell him to make sure he is well and truly ready."

Should Inglis opt to sign for Essendon, he will join Folau (Western Sydney) and Hunt (Gold Coast) in moving to Aussie Rules, with the AFL salary caps allowing sides to accommodate such marquee names.

And Johnson, who made 158 appearances for Melbourne and 12 for Queensland, has backed today's announcement that the NRL are to review their salary cap rulings, hoping they can find a way to keep their big name players in the sport.

"It's hard at the moment with the salary cap swinging a lot of the guys over to AFL," he said.

"They (the NRL) are losing many top players to Super League, rugby union and the AFL. They need to do something to work out their cap, so they can work out how to keep the top players."

For Johnson personally, this season has not been as successful as he would have liked with the injury-hit Catalans marooned at the foot of the table.

It is a far cry from the two titles he won and the four Grand Finals he competed in with Melbourne, but although he accepts it has been hard to adjust to not winning regularly, he is still enjoying his time in France.

"It has been tough at times, coming from home and having been successful with the Storm, it's been hard coming to a team that's not as successful," he said.

"We have worked hard to get things in place, but a lot of injuries have stopped us.

"It's been frustrating at times, but I'm still enjoying it here and now, hopefully we can pick up and get some wins on the board now we are getting some big players back."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

We love you Dallas, but please don't put any more ideas into GI's head...thank you :)
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

I dont blame any Storm player if they go to AFL or rugby or Super league. The rubbish they
have had to put up with in the NRL, no wonder players take better offers and go.
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Even from France DJ has nice things to say about our club. I wouldn't look down on Inglis at all if he decided to switch codes. Chambers said the same thing when he signed to play Rah Rah. He couldn't play against the Storm.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League