Andrew Johns has stood down as NSW Assistant Coach

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Just announced on Fox Super Saturday that Andrew Johns has stood down as Assistant coach to Craig Bellamy because he made a racial remark about Greg Inglis skin colour, resulting in Tima Tahu to stand out of Origin II.

Interesting times ahead.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Wow.... NSW is not looking good at all....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 925619.htm
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Can rugby league find any more ways to shoot itself in the foot?
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Play the ball wrote: Can rugby league find any more ways to shoot itself in the foot?
Time to put these Johns boys out to pasture I think

no great loss if I never heard anything about them again.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Does anyone know what Johns said... before I can make a comment I need
to know the facts on this one..... if indeed his comments were racists then
he should have been stood down... not allowed to stand down.... but I can't
seem to find what he actually said....

In truth I don't like Johns at all, there has been to many things swept under
the carpet and I think he is not the best role model for the NSW team or the NRL.

StormFront......
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Newspaper report alleges that Johns referred to GI as a "black c..." and to himself as "white trash".

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... -y4q3.html
Last edited by Surandy on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tahu is a big girl. Those calls happen on the field all the time yet you dont see  Tahu wallking away from the game and making a stand. He needs to harden up and get on with it, he's abandoned his team more importantly. Well done mate you idiot.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote: Tahu is a big girl. Those calls happen on the field all the time yet you dont see  Tahu wallking away from the game and making a stand. He needs to harden up and get on with it, he's abandoned his team more importantly. Well done mate you idiot.
it's much more than that mate. These two are mates and Joey is looked up to by every league player. Good on Tahu, most blokes would be offended and not do anything. And he didn't just "walk out"
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

bula wrote:
Freshy wrote: Tahu is a big girl. Those calls happen on the field all the time yet you dont see  Tahu wallking away from the game and making a stand. He needs to harden up and get on with it, he's abandoned his team more importantly. Well done mate you idiot.
it's much more than that mate. These two are mates and Joey is looked up to by every league player. Good on Tahu, most blokes would be offended and not do anything. And he didn't just "walk out"
Yeah thats all fair and well, but considering the sledging that goes on, on the field, Tahu should be used to it, I mean its coming from a mate which he knows and should of taken more lightly. He did walk out, 5 days out from a must win game he up and goes. Despite the reason, its completely stuffed up NSW's preparation. Whats done is done but I think in hind sight Tahu should of handled it better instead of just up and leaving.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Good on him for walking its not 1960 FFS.  Terrible form Joey Johns. That sledging does not happen on the field anymore freshy & nor should it!  GI, I hope you have an awesome game & smash em.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Mauritian wrote: Good on him for walking its not 1960 FFS.  Terrible form Joey Johns. That sledging does not happen on the field anymore freshy & nor should it!   GI, I hope you have an awesome game & smash em.
Trust me it does. The amount of things I heard over the sports ears and through a few of the players telling me, far exceeds what was said by Johns.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Freshy wrote:
The Mauritian wrote: Good on him for walking its not 1960 FFS.  Terrible form Joey Johns. That sledging does not happen on the field anymore freshy & nor should it!   GI, I hope you have an awesome game & smash em.
Trust me it does. The amount of things I heard over the sports ears and through a few of the players telling me, far exceeds what was said by Johns.
Well that is terrible What is wrong with society. 
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm with Freshy on this one. Yeah Johns said something out of line, but it's hardly worth turning your back on team mates. Verbal racism is a myth imo anyway  -  i don't get offended by being called a white (insert slur here), at the very least that would be half true (i am white!). Racism i feel is an action (or series of) wherein someone is treated differently or unfairly due to race alone. As someone said, it's not 1960  - and i bring that up not to agree with what they said, but to point out the the world shouldn't be so damn soft   -  o no! someone used a persons race in a sentence@!!!

All that is not to say Johns wasn't in the wrong (he was, and usually is) But him stepping down (should have been removed for 'disturbing the peace') would have been enough, Tahu should be man enough to realise his 'stand' isn't a lima lima lima duck you to Johns, it's a lima lima lima duck you to his team mates, and the NSW supporters.

QLD to retain the trophy.

KHoI
Storm 4 Life~
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

DRug taking racist vermin. While Melbourne are having their premierships taken maybe someone should take Joey's Team of the Century blazer off him. Smug prick!
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hindsight is a wonderful thing that we just dont have.....

I think what Tahu did was brave and not many people would have done what he did.
However, in hindsight - it might have been a better action to ask for a dispute resolution
and have Johns stood down for his actions and Tahu still play for the NSW team that he
fought so hard to be a part of.

Thus highlighting the issue but not walking away from the team. I am surprised that it
took several days for the truth to come out - but hey look at the way Storm have been
treated - little truth, many lies, gutter journalism and still a long way from being resolved

For those that are saying "toughen up mate" it blows my mind that we still have people
that think like that - racism, sexism, domestic violence, homophobia and racial hatred exists
in many forms and society needs to be accountable for that and stand up and say "no" to
things when they are not right. I do agree that at times things can go overboard with what is
P.C. and correct - but in this case what Johns said was not appropriate especially coming from
a person the team looks up to and respects as a leader, friend and assistant coach.

Last edited by StormFront on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormFront......