Greg Inglis in talks with Essendon FC

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to Fox Sports News GI met with Essendon officials today in Sydney.

Quote "Another blow to the NRL" ;D
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

can't just go as he is contracted.

wouldn't want to go to a sh&t hole like essenscum

would be VERY disappointed if he met them to discuss ANYTHING on a game day
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Storm Spirit wrote: would be VERY disappointed if he met them to discuss ANYTHING on a game day
I was thinking the same thing about the gameday bit, maybe his manager had talks with Essendon today and Fox are trying to spin things around.

Lately Fox have been spot on with the movement of rugby league players to the afl and breaking news about Storm's salary cap issues.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Could explain that inch perfect, cross field kick he decided to make...

IMO, it'd be great news, knife into the NRL, we make some cap inroads and keep the dream of cam, coop, and billy staying at the club. Plus, once GI and Izzy make their $$, they can come back home!

KHoI
Storm 4 Life~
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

IF.....AND IT'S A BIG IF.......GI is forced out of Storm due to salary cap issues, I'd rather see him not play against the Storm boys (he has admitted as much as well)and it would allow him to stay in Melbourne (where he reportedly WANTS to stay).

I'd be less impressed if he just wanted to go to Essenscum instead of staying at Storm if he wasn't forced out due to salary cap issues.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nothing article.

All i got from it was bellamy doesnt want him to leave the storm.

End of story
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

James Phelps From:Herald Sun June 05, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: ARGUABLY rugby league's best player yesterday moved a step closer to becoming the latest star to abandon the NRL with Melbourne Storm ace Greg Inglis' manager meeting with AFL powerhouse Essendon.

In another blow for rugby league just days after the code was rocked by Israel Folau's defection to the AFL, Inglis is seriously considering joining the NRL exodus with Essendon making their interest in the Test centre formal.

While Essendon is playing the Swans at the SCG tomorrow, Bombers boss Ian Robson yesterday flew into Sydney a day earlier than his team for a meeting with Inglis' agent Al Gainey at a Sydney cafe.

It is understood Inglis has asked Gainey to explore the option of playing AFL in Melbourne with the 104kg centre unsure of his future with the Storm in the wake of the club's salary cap cheating.

"Inglis has a passion for Melbourne and that is where he wants to stay," said a source close to Inglis.

"He recently moved all his family down to Melbourne and he wants to stay their. He doesn't want to move anywhere else and if the Storm needs to release him from his contract then he would explore other opportunities and certainly Essendon is one of them."

Inglis is contracted with the Storm until the end of 2012 but could become a free agent with the club looking to slash $900,000 from its salary cap next year.

The Storm is understood to be over the cap by $1.2 million and will be forced to shed a star of Inglis' standing.

Robson early in the year denied his club had approached Inglis but said he would make a good AFL player.

"I've got no hesitation in saying he'd be one of several players - Billy Slater would be another - who could make the transition to AFL," Robson said.

Inglis' defection to the AFL would be even more damaging than Karmichael Hunt and Folau's controversial departures with Essendon's bid for Inglis not considered to be a publicity stunt.

Essendon's interest in Inglis stems back to when Kevin Sheedy was still at the club.

Sheedy declared Inglis should be AFL's No. 1 cross-code target.

Earlier in the week Essendon player Mark McVeigh said Inglis was a far more promising AFL prospect than Folau or Hunt.

"I think if you look at Folau and Inglis you probably think Greg is more suited in terms of the way he moves and his skills," McVeigh said.

GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna yesterday confirmed Hunt would make his VFL debut next Saturday against Coburg at Craigieburn.

The former Brisbane Bronco trained with his new teammates at Wesley College yesterday.

"His body is in good nick and he's looking good," McKenna said. "He's a lot more natural than I think a lot of people (think). They've had to sit back and go 'Hang on, this bloke's a chance of making it'.

"He's doing what he has to do ... he looks as natural as half of our side.

"We're looking forward to next week ... to him getting out and tearing the boys apart."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 5875720478
bruce
Squall
Squall

massive win for everyone.

the hard truth is that we might have to lose one of our stars to remain under the cap next yr. This way we won't have to witness GI playing against us, as Im sure he doesnt want to do that to his teamates neither. He can stay in melbourne with his family and keep in touch with the club and his mates.

And Im a massive bombers fan, so i win out anyways.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I hate the idea that we might lose players but realistically I suppose it is a very real likelihood and personally I`d much rather see one of them cross codes and stay in Melbourne than turn up in a Broncos jersey ( in particular).  
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: can't just go as he is contracted.

Melbourne would just release him.

Let him go. It's only when that happens Gallop will realise just how under threat the game is.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

id rather see gi play for the dragons then play afl. lima lima lima duck that line of thinking
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote: can't just go as he is contracted.

Melbourne would just release him.

Let him go. It's only when that happens Gallop will realise just how under threat the game is.

gallop wouldn't know his head from his ass. He will NEVER admit that the game is under threat no matter how many players are lost.

Here's a tip for you gallop...you reckon that there is always another "Inglis, Folau or Hunt" just around the corner to replace players that leave....

Well imagine how much better the NRL would be if we kept the great current players and had the influx of new stars.

It's NOT a case of either/or...I'd MUCH rather see you and the NRL do everything to keep all the great players and have the new great players come into the NRL
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

You know the saying "If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem"
Gallop has always been part of the problem  ;-)
Since some people ? want him as the figurehead of the 'independent commision' I guess he is the ultimate protected species in the NRL.
When enough marque players have defected to other codes his response will be.
'Look what we're doing to bring through our young players'  ](*,)

League is the only sport I've followed with any great passion but as I've said elsewhere.
I can survive without RL in Melbourne - I don't think Gallop & the rest of the bucket heads can.

G.I has to do what's best for him & his future,(as do all our other players) Whatever he,(or they) decide I wish only good fortune & a bright future.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bourbon Rat wrote: You know the saying "If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem"
Gallop has always been part of the problem  ;-)
Since some people ? want him as the figurehead of the 'independent commision' I guess he is the ultimate protected species in the NRL.
When enough marque players have defected to other codes his response will be.
'Look what we're doing to bring through our young players'  ](*,)

League is the only sport I've followed with any great passion but as I've said elsewhere.
I can survive without RL in Melbourne - I don't think Gallop & the rest of the bucket heads can.

G.I has to do what's best for him & his future,(as do all our other players) Whatever he,(or they) decide I wish only good fortune & a bright future.
Well put. Sums things up nicely :)
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Some players shop their name around to bluff their club to increase their value,

I reckon Greg and his management are playing mind games with the NRL, if you force me out of the Storm, Im going to AFL, I am not leaving Melbourne to play at another NRL club.

Good on him.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm