WIDDOP CALLED UP TO THE ENGLAND SQUAD

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
singlemalt
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Good luck to Gareth - hope he shines.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i think we should keep him and let billy go gareth is gonna be huge
SOMEONE'S GOTTA MAKE THE HISTORY BOOKS IT MIGHT AS WELL BE US

2014 BAI STAND TIPPING CHAMP
stormmaster
Squall
Squall

sallymay wrote: i think we should keep him and let billy go gareth is gonna be huge
That is the most stupid thing I have ever read on these forums.  Slater has been the best thing that has happened to this club.
CaptainKlutz
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

stormmaster wrote:
sallymay wrote: i think we should keep him and let billy go gareth is gonna be huge
That is the most stupid thing I have ever read on these forums.  Slater has been the best thing that has happened to this club.
LOL I remember when Billy was having a bit of an ordinary time in 2006 as GI came on to the scene. :lol: Members in the crowd were yelling "Billy who" everytime GI got the ball.

Probably Slater biggest back slappers now.

On Widdop. Full respect to him for sticking with his country of birth.
The easy option would be to claim he is a ozzie and try to play SOO.
[b]Making movies, signing songs and fight'n round the world.[/b]

Dose chess dip Err?
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormmaster wrote:
That is the most stupid thing I have ever read on these forums.  Slater has been the best thing that has happened to this club.
Not any more.

Billy 28 next year and will leave when his next contract runs out anyway. Sorry to have to break it to you.

BTW well done Gareth, go easy on the Frogs.
Last edited by Noa Nadruku on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

28 is far from his career being over. This Kid has been an absolute champion for this club.
I hope he stays. Moreso then anyone else.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Widdop is a star in the making. Looked like he was born to play FB on Sunday. Must keep him, whatever the consequences.
2012 premiers. Legit.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

simo wrote: 28 is far from his career being over. This Kid has been an absolute champion for this club.
I hope he stays. Moreso then anyone else.
No its not but do you want 1 or 2 years fo bill or 8-10 of Gareth or Maipele Morseau who i think will be even better.

FWIW I hope Billy stays, be great to have him around to tutor 'Pele.
Last edited by Noa Nadruku on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Well done Gar'  :fla_england:
Hopefully we get to see him at the Eng vs Aus match during the Four Nations in October
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah we all love Billy , but with the dramas, and a ready made replacement in Widdop,

Its tough to think about, but when you cut the emotion out , maybe he is the player who could be let go,

I havn't made my mind up on that, but it is a realistic option, someone has to go.

In a perfect world we would hang onto both and have them swapping between 1 and 6, I think Billy is ready to spend more time up in the line.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

With him being selected for this game on the 12, I wonder who will play fullback against the roosters. Will O'Neill get his debut.
Last edited by Fizer on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fizer wrote: With him being selected for this game on the 12, I wonder who will play fullback against the roosters. Will O'Neill get his debut.
Interesting dillema, maybe they might punt on Dane Chisholm who has more playmaking abilities, pulled his finger right out lately and played very well on Saturday. Wouldnt mind seeing O'Neill on the wing though if Quinny isnt rtg and Dougs has to pplay center to cover for Chase.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

The thing we need to consider with Slater/Widdop is whether we want to spend a significant amount on Billy to keep him for the next few years or use that money on a solid, lengthy contract for Gareth.  Billy might have been a great player for our club - and he still is, and will be for years to come - but his playing days are limited.  Gareth might be a smarter option in the long run.
You had me at meat tornado.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Onya Gareth. Not bad at all for the lad.

On the off chance Slater goes how is this for a combination

1. Widdop
6. Kelly
7. Cronk
9. Smith

Now THAT is a spine!

Interesting to read this on Storm Man's FB page

Congratulations to Gareth Widdop who was overnight chosen in the England squad for the Test match against France on June 14 in Manchester. Not bad for a player who's come through the Victorian Rugby League system and played just 2 NRL games!!

Ummm... I hate to be a naysayer but has Gareth Widdop played a single game in the Victorian Rugby League senior competition?
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]