ROUND 12 AVERAGE CROWDS

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
VIC
Squall
Squall

Average NRL Crowds at the end of Round 12, 2010

Brisbane                 34,537
Canterbury 22,040
Wests                 20,207
Melbourne 19,235
Parramatta 18,872
Souths                 18,832
St George                 18,111
GC                 16,286
NQ                 15,422
Newcastle 14,881
Canberra                 14,111
Manly                 13,871
NZ                 13,807
Penrith                 13,329
Sydney                 12,357
Cronulla                 10,869

Not bad to be in 4th place considering we're not playing for points this season.....and coupled with the fact that in the last game we were playing with an under-strengthed side against a team that is equal last (ie. Canterbury Bulldogs)........................
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Yeah we are doing well at the moment, but would like to see more people at our home games that were there on Sunday.

A lot of outsiders are saying our crowds will drop off because the novelty of the stadium will wear off, players not playing for points and the court action Storm are taking at the moment has damaged the Storm in their eyes.

I'm all for the court action, but have been on a couple of other forums where some storm members have said they won't come back until next year until we are playing for real points and don't like the court action.

I think those storm members are entitled to their views, but I also believe that they should be at games to support the club this year, moreso because of the turmoil we are going through.  True supporter stick through thick and thin.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Geez it makes you wonder what Manly have to do to get a crowd..They are going better than they have for ages ( probably over the cap ) but still they cant get a decent crowd even whan they play at home against another Sydney team..so sad that  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I thought our crowd was 12,000ish
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
Cowbell-Mark
Squall
Squall

stormsally wrote: I thought our crowd was 12,000ish
Title is misleading but it means the average crowd up to this round.
VIC
Squall
Squall

Given everything that's happened, the point of showing these average crowds is to highlight the strong position that the Melbourne Storm is in, in terms of crowd numbers.

In two games this year, the Storm managed to attract crowds in excess of 24,000 people - and being mindful of the fact that unlike Sydney teams, there is no other locally based team to help with crowds (ie. our closest NRL team is about 600kms away in Canberra). The reality remains that if the salary cap scandal hadn't erupted this year, with it's new stadium the Storm would have generated the 2nd highest crowds numbers in the NRL (after the Brisbane Broncos). Unfortunately, given that the team isn't playing for points this year, I really cannot see these strong average crowds continuing. Other than the 10,000 passionate Storm members attending every home game, I cannot see too many casual supporters attending games because of this predicament.

AND another thing - on Friday night there was only just over 7,000 supporters at Parramatta. OK - I accept that the weather during the day in Sydney wasn't the best.......but it had only been showering throughout the day on and off. AND 2 hours before the game and during the game there was either no showers or only  a light sprinkle! Given that this match was not televised live and a replay was only shown two hours later at 9.30pm, this crowd number was APPALLING to the say the very least! For God's sake, it was a Grand Final replay! And afterall, Parramatta stadium is quite a good stadium that has moderate facilities to help the crowd cope with showers. TYPICAL FICKLE SYDNEY supporters!!!!
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yep  what the stats dont show you ,unlike the Sydney clubs,

Melbourne dont get the benefit of the opposition teams fans boosting their numbers ,

Something that always gets overlooked when the Sydney media have harped on about the poor crowds in Melbourne.

If all your Manly, Parra, Bulldog fans etc lived in the same city as us, we would get regular crowds at 30,000,
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
VIC
Squall
Squall

100% correct Play the ball!!!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Play the ball wrote: yep  what the stats dont show you ,unlike the Sydney clubs,

Melbourne dont get the benefit of the opposition teams fans boosting their numbers ,

Something that always gets overlooked when the Sydney media have harped on about the poor crowds in Melbourne.

If all your Manly, Parra, Bulldog fans etc lived in the same city as us, we would get regular crowds at 30,000,
Play the ball that is spot on. I have always argued that 12,000 fans at a Storm game are better than 15,000 people at a match between two Sydney teams. Out of the 12,000 fans at a Storm game (excluding matches v Broncos and Warriors), approx. 11,000 people would be Storm fans. If there are 15,000 people at a match between two teams in Sydney, there would be approximately 7,500 people supporting both teams.

The only person on a Sydney based show I have heard mention this argument was Richard Freedman on the Back Page 4 or 5 years ago.

The best thing about Parra's crowd on Friday is that their home average drops for 19,870 to 18,113 and their average is now below the Storm's average.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So the night wasn't a complete loss - we are beating them at something.

I suspect a few lower crowd numbers for storm over the next month or so - and to pick up at the end of the season even though no finals - I think in the middle of the season there seems to be plenty of RL left - but when it is only a few matches - people may make more of an effort.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

Our next 2 home games will be the Roosters on Monday night without the SOO players, then the Cowboys the following weekend, which will probably drop our average.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CooperCronk wrote: Our next 2 home games will be the Roosters on Monday night without the SOO players, then the Cowboys the following weekend, which will probably drop our average.

Roosters on a Monday is a bit of a crowd worry.  I hope we pull about 12,000.  Be good if they have the LED lights finished for our first night game at AAMI
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Roosters game is on the Queens Birthday, though, right?
You had me at meat tornado.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The game is on Monday - Queens Birthday..... but for me we have to travel
for over 1 hour each way and I have kids that go to school the next day
so a Monday night game is completely shyte for us.

Am not sure that I will be going.... it really makes it hard all week with
kids being over tired..... I want to go but just not sure yet.....

Wonder if we will get screwed over for the rest of the year as far as game
schedule goes - if we get really shitty game days then the crowds will drop
and then the sydney supporters and NRL can all chant "see I told you so
they only went for the first few games"

Anyway will wait and see
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'm pretty sure Foxtel get to choose who plays on Monday nights - so hopefully they pick those playing for points