The Problem is...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

......the problem is; we don't know what the problem is.

The NRL via Ian Schubert and David Gallop tell us that Storm have massively breached the salary cap. They say they can't tell us the extent of the breach until an independent audit is conducted. Ok, that's the way it is.

BUT....

The NRL throws around numbers with no supporting evidence, and we don't know how accurate they are, or in what context.
Now I know this is going to sound like I'm a rose-coloured-glasses fan but as a fan I feel incredibly hard done by. My team is being accused of an indeteriminate offence with no public details to confirm or deny.

Let me give a couple of examples:

Cameron Smith's third party deal with Foxtel is being included by the NRL in the total breach. Now, they've known about the deal for three years and have only started to question it recently. There's no question about it being negotiated by the club; but it "may" be in breach because of the relationship between Foxtel/News Ltd/NRL/Storm. Confusing huh?

At least one of the "second contracts" is only an issue because it guarantees that a player's total payments will meet the level contracted including a third party payment should the third party default as happened with Gasnier. Naughty possibly and may breach the rules; but this money HAS NOT been paid by the club - they have just said "if the deal falls through we'll make sure you get paid", and the third party HAS paid up; yet it is still included in the breach amount.

I know that plenty of people will write this off as me defending my club, and I don't for one second believe we weren't cheating at some level; but do you see why I'm confused? The NRL say 1.7 million; yet at least 300K of that has been signed off and approved by the NRL and they are now reconsidering three years later.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC the real issue with Smiths foxtel contract is the if it falls through,Storm have underwritten it so are forced by law to pay it
"Absolutely trained to the minute"
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
Joe_Storm_FB_2025
Squall
Squall

The Eagle wrote: TC the real issue with Smiths foxtel contract is the if it falls through,Storm have underwritten it so are forced by law to pay it
The troll is correct.

How dumb is Waldron FFS
[quote="billythekidslater"]
Yeah I am a troll. [/quote]
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Here's another couple being thrown around that are starting to irritate  :?
Someone,(Cam Smith ?) was given a shopping voucher for thousands of dollars.
OK - The NRL threw that around in the press A LOT
Given a shopping voucher by whom ? And in payment/reward for what ?
Still waiting for concrete verifiable evidence  :?
Someone,(G.I ?) was given a $30,000 boat
Again - The NRL threw that around in the press A LOT
Given a boat by whom ? And in payment/reward for what ?
Still waiting for concrete verifiable evidence  :?

Let's play a game shall we.......................
Golden boy,(Jarrad Hayne) is given a shopping voucher,(lets say $50,000)for Harvey Norman
NOT by them you understand,but in payment for another 3rd party agreement,(assuming they are not a sponsor of his club,or connected to the NRL)
He's then offered a $50,000 3rd party deal by a pharmaceutical firm for an endorsement,(possibly hemorrhoid creme  ;D ) but whilst talking to the CEO discovers they both have a love of water sports / fishing.Upshot of this is they do a deal to set aside $30,000 of the 3rd party deal in exchange for a flash boat.

ALL the above would be legal under the current NRL system & would NOT be included under his clubs salary cap.

Difference between my hypothetical & the Storm stuff being thrown around by the NRL / media ?
I included who payed what to who & what for.

IT'S PUT UP OR SHUT UP TIME GALLOP.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Tempest
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The Eagle wrote: TC the real issue with Smiths foxtel contract is the if it falls through,Storm have underwritten it so are forced by law to pay it
But have the club paid it? Because that's what the NRL's saying.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tempest wrote:
I haven't seen it said they paid it, just that they guaranteed it which means it's included under the cap under the rules
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

No, the club has apparently underwritten some third party contract.
We don't actually know it's Cams - it's been heavily implied by the media but not confirmed by the NRL.

And as Ratty says, we've been given no verifiable evidence of anything. Claims and inuendo; no facts!
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tempest wrote:
The club doesnt have to pay it unless the foxtel contract falls through
its UNDERWRITTEN by Storm therefore if he loses the job Storm HAVE to pay him
that particular suitcase full of cash,oh and trolls write inflamatory crap to get
flamed,i write the truth kthx :) so by definition im NOT a troll,L2Interwebz
Phil "Gus" Gould

"I will personally pay for those to touchies to go and visit OPSM for a checkup,id thought we'd reverted to gridiron for a moment there"

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
thunder
Squall
Squall

You ARE a TROLL! The truth according to who?

So Troll, aren't you sick of being on a Storm forum? Piss off because I'm sick of your hidden pleasure as a result of our problem.

Go tell those who care in your own forums because we honestly don't give a *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!* what your opinions are, smart arse!
Tempest
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hey, steady on - I don't agree with or like everything Eagle posts, but he's not a troll.

We've had enough of the real thing here to be able to spot the difference!
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Yeah 'The Eagle' is cool. I like having a non storm supporter putting their view on things into the mix. And as he said - "trolls write inflamatory crap to get flamed"      He doesn't need to troll to get flamed, he's a manly fan  :P

To keep kind of on topic, we won't really know exactly what's going on until all the dust settles  -  that could be a while. Regardless of who's at fault the team has our support and that's what counts yeah?

KHoI
Storm 4 Life~
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

thunder wrote: You ARE a TROLL! The truth according to who?

So Troll, aren't you sick of being on a Storm forum? Piss off because I'm sick of your hidden pleasure as a result of our problem.
You should try reading all The Eagles posts before abusing a fellow rugby league supporter. To baselessly abuse other supporters makes you no better than those you claim are trolls.

index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topi ... #msg107799
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think im gunna cry :)
Phil "Gus" Gould

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
The Eagle
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

thunder wrote: You ARE a TROLL! The truth according to who?

Go tell those who care in your own forums because we honestly don't give a *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!* what your opinions are, smart arse!
THERE IS NO PLEASURE IN BEATING YOUR *lima lima lima duck* ARCH RIVAL WITH THEM HAVING NO CHANCE *lima lima lima duck*,2010 Manly premiership would
be awesome,but very *lima lima lima duck* hollow like it doesnt quiet count because the only team to fear has no chance of winning,its like going to winning a boxing
match against a guy with no arms,victory yes but do you really think you deserved it?
Phil "Gus" Gould

Desmond "Sorry" Hasler
thunder
Squall
Squall

I'm sorry guys but I'm frustrated that he always has something to say re our situation!