New salary cap plan

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stormtrooper9
Squall
Squall

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5860995509

In my opinion, this article is a definite positive for the club, however whether or not Gallop goes through with it is another story.

Here's hoping....
Craig Bellamy: "We ain't going anywhere"
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I have a feeling they'll give it the go ahead at the end of the season but wont impliment it until 2012
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

the NRL will implement it in 2012 just to screw Storm in 2011.

But we can't escape the other thread on this board which suggests that Matt Hanson brought the TPP for 2011 down to 230k over the cap.

what credence do we give that linme of thinking ?

the current article says 450k which they beleive is 2 mid range players
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Sun May 02, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Crippstor
Squall
Squall

My reading of that article is that the 425K mentioned is what we would be over for this year if the new plan was in operation. If as reported and we are 230K over for 2011, under the new plan this would fall to a minus figure, in fact by my maths we would be under the cap
Crippstor - Lord of The Realm
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Crippstor wrote: My reading of that article is that the 425K mentioned is what we would be over for this year if the new plan was in operation. If as reported and we are 230K over for 2011, under the new plan this would fall to a minus figure, in fact by my maths we would be under the cap
yep fair call...think I misread it regarding whether the calculations applied to 2010 or 2011.

Thanks for clarifying.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Aint it strange that Bruno Cullen on Thursday night Footy Show makes it public knowledge about his plan on the salary cap was knocked back twice.David Gallop now says this is a plan for the future.
StormFront
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think this is a really great plan and benefits most clubs.
The only thing that i see as an issue is if a new club starts,
such as when Melbourne started with no local talent.
Lets Party Like Its 1999....
The Storm 1999, 2007, 2009, 2011

StormFront......
estormboy
Squall
Squall

Stormtrooper9 wrote: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5860995509

In my opinion, this article is a definite positive for the club, however whether or not Gallop goes through with it is another story.

Here's hoping....
Whilst I agree that this is definitely a step forward in the right direction, I'm afraid that I can't be so over joyed!

Call me a pessimist if you will, but reading between the lines of what the NRL & News have been saying in the media over the last couple of weeks, there is no way in hell that the team as we know it will be allowed to play by these rules.

As has been insinuated in a few newspaper articles recently and I find it hard to argue against, is that News will want to remove this stain from their reputation ASAP, hence the acceptance of the penalties, no court appeals, no player contract reductions and their insistence that players WILL be moving on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This right here is a perfect example of Gallop "reacting" to a shit storm (excuse the pun) rather than havign a definitive plan for the game. Something like this should have been impemented years ago.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

It may not help us now, but this will be a good thing for our next generation of stars coming through.
You had me at meat tornado.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I had to laugh at Rebecca Wilson on the ABC this morning stressing the fact that it's now $850,000 & that that equates to 3 MARQUEE PLAYERS.Now either the value of marquee players has suddenly become bargain basement or NEWS LTD bedroom mouthpiece is setting up another excuse for dismantling  :?

The current salary cap set up is designed to drag the level of the game down.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Crippstor
Squall
Squall

Have just heard the head of the RLPA saying that they want concessions such as these in the next CBA, and guess what the next CBA is active from 2011 onwards.

But wait what light through yonder window breaks, tis the east and long term player cap concessions are the sun
Crippstor - Lord of The Realm
Stormtrooper9
Squall
Squall

estormboy wrote:
Stormtrooper9 wrote: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5860995509

Here's hoping....
Whilst I agree that this is definitely a step forward in the right direction, I'm afraid that I can't be so over joyed!

Call me a pessimist if you will, but reading between the lines of what the NRL & News have been saying in the media over the last couple of weeks, there is no way in hell that the team as we know it will be allowed to play by these rules.

As has been insinuated in a few newspaper articles recently and I find it hard to argue against, is that News will want to remove this stain from their reputation ASAP, hence the acceptance of the penalties, no court appeals, no player contract reductions and their insistence that players WILL be moving on.

Fair call, I agree on most parts. However most of our players are under legally binding contracts, so if they don't want to go, no one can make them.
Craig Bellamy: "We ain't going anywhere"
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just finished reading that article & have to say I'm constantly amazed at how journos throw up player payment figures that afaik are not public knowledge ?
Who gives them these figures or do they just make them up as they go along ?

I particularly had to laugh at the 'working for nothing' figures they gave to Beaver & Bedsy.
Both could have been paid what they are earning in England - $400,000 a season
A figure I'd hazard to guess that both would have been on with their NRL teams,(not including 3rd party deals)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields