GI being courted by Essendon....

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

as reported on the AFL footy show.

Apparently close friends with former Essendon champion indigenous player Michael Long.

Izzy reported as a serious target of AFL Greater Western Sydney.....3 million over 3 years.

FOR GOD'S SAKE GALLOP...INCREASE THE NRL SALARY CAP...OR ALLOW 3RD PARTY DEALS OUTSIDE THE CAP....JUST DO SOMETHING BEFORE YOU COMPLETELY *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK*ing SCREW RUGBY LEAGUE INTO OBLIVION.

AFL and Union both offering 1 million dollar a year deals for Folau .....while the world best League players (GI, Billy, Cam) are being screwed by friggin lousey $450,000 a year deals
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

The 3rd party payments are the key, it's really ruining the game.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The AFL media will report just about anything. Who broke that story? Damian Barrett? The AFL haven't even determined wether or not Khunt is going to be a success. Any story about RL players converting to AFL is just fodder to sell copy IMO.

The Izzy to GWS (3 million over 3 years must have a lot of people who support Vic clubs pissed off. The new teams are being given salary cap concessions on a platter) thing is old news but the thought of GI going to AFL is sickening but even last week they were running stories at Fox Sports by Ricky Nixon urgin the AFL to "blow RL out of the water" and poach Billy SLater. The AFL have got News Limited in their pocket so I wouldn't expect anything to come of it but If they were to go across it would be catastrophic. SOmething needs to be done to light a fire under Gallop's arse.

But then again look what happened when Sailor, Tuqiri and Rodgers and even Tahu went to rugby. Apparently it was the death of RL and those 4 players returned to league and have been devestating. The AFL might sign out superstars but they haven't even begun to test the waters. I'm still sticking to my prediction that Khunt will be wanting out of his contract by the middle of his 2nd season due to being bored shitless.
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

How much credence you put into it, but Hutchy has confirmed that Izzy has been tested by the AFL and that Izzy's management approached the AFL. He would be an even bigger coup for the AFL bringing huge PR to the GWS team.

It's expected Izzy will decide tomorrow to not continue with Brisbane and open the door for the Rebels or GWS. First hurdle in this story is Izzy activating his get out clause.

Of the $1 million per year the AFL is "offering" only $400k would actually be in the GWS cap, whilst the remainder would be paid by the AFL as a marketing allowance.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Buzz wrote:
Of the $1 million per year the AFL is "offering" only $400k would actually be in the GWS cap, whilst the remainder would be paid by the AFL as a marketing allowance.
That's the critical point isn't it.....under Gallop's watch....every $ earned has to be included in the salary cap.

Whereas the AFL can say...have a base salary in the salary cap but by all means be paid marketing/3rd party sponsorship deals outside the cap.

I reckon the NRL cap should stay...players should earn a salary which is included in the 4.1m cap and then if you are good enough...because you might be in the top 6 league players in the world...then you can earn as much as you like from 3rd party deals outside the cap.

This is ESPECIALLY relevant if those players are home grown talents like cam, GI and Bill.

If they are the best...then they are the best....and they deserve to be rewarded.

It remains fair for all, because no matter which team they play for within the salary cap, their capacity to earn $$$ with 3rd party deals remains identical in every team or state.

So it is fair for all.....but finally players...the great players are actually rewarded for being great players
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Buzz wrote: How much credence you put into it, but Hutchy has confirmed that Izzy has been tested by the AFL and that Izzy's management approached the AFL. He would be an even bigger coup for the AFL bringing huge PR to the GWS team.

It's expected Izzy will decide tomorrow to not continue with Brisbane and open the door for the Rebels or GWS. First hurdle in this story is Izzy activating his get out clause.

Marketing allowance; tran: salary cap concession, yes?
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Pretty much the same thing Gallop orchestrated to keep Joey in the game. Just legal and endorsed. As opposed to our illegal because they were unendorsed.

Just had a vision: NRL forces Storm to move on, say Cam Smith to get under the cap. No other club can take him under the salary cap, so to ensure Cam stays in the game, the NRL orchestrates a third party agreement to give Cam a bigger wage at a Sydney club. Just the hypocritical kind of thing I'd actually expect to see from Gallop!
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

it goes to show you that gallop dont care as much as he says he does because if he did he would be doing all he could to keep the stars of our game..........      good  work gallop... NOT!
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gallop is just pissed off Wally n his crew made the Nrl look like useless bastards who were shithouse at doing their job. 
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
Play the ball
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Under the current salary cap system , it is a promotion of mediocrity,

We will no longer see the great teams, parra 80s, Manly after that, Raiders then the Broncos then us etc,

Under this system it is designed to keep all teams down to a poor to average standard,

There is no room to have more than a few excellent players ,

So if there is too much talent availible in the talent pool , clubs cant afford them , they have to look elsewhere, union or overseas,

NRL is becoming a 2nd tier sport, talented athletes in their teens will soon be looking if they aren't already,  at other sports before choosing league.
Go the Allblacks, Richmond , and the mighty Storm
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Gallop is just pissed off Wally n his crew made the Nrl look like useless bastards who were shithouse at doing their job. 

We already knew the NRL were useless bastards and shit at their job, Wally and his cronies just confirmed it  :lol:
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Melbourne Storm star Greg Inglis says he has no plans to leave the NRL club
By Karl deKroo
April 30, 2010 Greg Inglis says he is committed to staying with Melbourne Storm beyond this season and would be reluctant to play against the club he regards as family.

The Test star on Thursday led a contingent of Storm players on a goodwill mission to Palm Island and used the trip to dedicate his future to the embattled club.

"I'm not going anywhere," said Inglis who, in wake of the Storm's salary cap scandal, has already been linked to moves to rugby union, the AFL and a host of NRL rivals, including Brisbane Broncos.

"I've been at the club since I was 14," he said.

"They discovered and developed me and they have stood by me through good times and bad. I really love the place.

"It is like family to me and I have no intention of leaving."

The Palm Island trip was organised before the drama erupted and while Storm management considered scrapping the visit, Inglis insisted on going.

Great news......positive news......

Look...we all know it's just talk at the moment, but I'd rather hear guys like Cam and GI (and others of course) come out and say that they want to stay at Storm out of loyalty because of what they feel they owe the club.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Gallop is just pissed off Wally n his crew made the Nrl look like useless bastards who were shithouse at doing their job. 
Gallop is probably pissed off because their boss Rupert was going to offer Wally more than Gallop's yearly salary to remain at the Storm. I wonder how many other CEOs get a bigger pay day than that spineless fark!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't think third party deals should be included in a club's cap.  If a player is doing a commercial for a product (for example), they're promoting the NRL as much as they are the product.  The commercial increases the profile of the player, it increases the profile of the club and in turn, the league as a whole.
You had me at meat tornado.