New members flocking to Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ok so all of us here already knew that but it's good to see it getting a run in Sydney and letting them farkers know we aint going anywhere. Also good to haer Rob Moodie's take on it as well.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5860257811

New members flocking to Storm

April 29, 2010 4:41PM

"We were fearful that people would turn away and it's just been so gratifying that they haven't. I guess it really does say something about the team, how they play and the way they go about their business."We're up over the 9000 mark and last week it was about 8500 so we're seeing about 100 a day. I think there's still something like 300 outstanding emails of people that want to join, so we're getting some amazing responses.

"We've even had some people that have sent a withdrawal email and then two days later sent another email saying, no, don't, we're OK (with our membership).''Moodie said the surge is a great boost to the players as they search for inspiration in a season where they can't accrue any competition points. "It's extremely encouraging, particularly for the players and the staff to get these. They've taken an enormous hit and as you saw last Sunday night, the huge support that came out because of what happened was really gratifying,'' he said.

Melbourne attracted a big crowd of nearly 24,000 against the Warriors, but maintaining that for the rest of the season will be a challenge.Many commentators suggested Melbourne might have to ditch the Storm logo and the purple colours and start afresh because of the now tainted nature of the brand.But Moodie said he was certain the club would continue to operate under its current name and the Storm brand would rebuild.

"You've got to remember there's been an awful lot of good in the Storm and those people have been hurt,'' he said."But you rebuild on the foundation of what's been fundamentally good and worthy. "We're considering how to get through the investigation and then how to rebuild. It's been such a devastating blow by virtue of what has happened, but we really do need to start literally with a clean sheet, and every aspect of the club has to be looked at, one of which is branding.''
brewer
Squall
Squall

top stuff :D
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The club's reputation has been given an almighty whack but what happens next depends on how everyone involved in the club, including us fans, conducts themselves.

For instance, I think we can replace our major sponsors if we can pitch the right people. I remember an interview with Greenberg and he said that Camp Quality told him they would never put their name to the Bulldogs jersey. Look how that turned out!
[color=#400040]Melbourne Storm 2011:[/color] take your time, try not to forget, pay no mind to us... [color=#400080]WE'RE JUST A MINOR THREAT![/color]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I don't think we're going to have any problems attracting sponsors next year.  Right now, things are bad but next year we redeem ourselves.  Next year is a good news story for the club and we'll have a lot of exposure.  Companies are going to want to have their brand associated with the new and improved Storm in 2011 and beyond.
You had me at meat tornado.
brewer
Squall
Squall

if we keep winning, the sponsors will come
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote: I don't think we're going to have any problems attracting sponsors next year.  Right now, things are bad but next year we redeem ourselves.  Next year is a good news story for the club and we'll have a lot of exposure.  Companies are going to want to have their brand associated with the new and improved Storm in 2011 and beyond.
I just hope that when we do start picking up new sponsors that Storm remember to look after the ones that have stuck by us now. I`m not sure how you`d do this but there has to be a way for them to thank the ones that have stuck by us now.
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

I think it goes to show the mindset of Melbourne people, we love our sport & we love a under dog. We do have a large following in this city, it's just getting people to pledge membership every year.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Woody wrote:
absentee wrote: I don't think we're going to have any problems attracting sponsors next year.  Right now, things are bad but next year we redeem ourselves.  Next year is a good news story for the club and we'll have a lot of exposure.  Companies are going to want to have their brand associated with the new and improved Storm in 2011 and beyond.
I just hope that when we do start picking up new sponsors that Storm remember to look after the ones that have stuck by us now. I`m not sure how you`d do this but there has to be a way for them to thank the ones that have stuck by us now.
The big one is a new partner for the back of the jersey.  I don't think Suzuki increased their sponsorship level - I think they're just on the back of the jersey now to fill the gap.  They'd probably be better off staying on the sleeves only because they get exposure there no matter if you're looking at the front or the back of the player.  Then, we'd only need a couple of lower level sponsors - something to replace Jayco on the back of the shorts (unless Makita decides to buy that spot, too) and something to replace Skins (maybe we'll go back to Under Armour?).

Jayco deserve to stay as our front of jersey sponsor - they stood up when we needed them.
You had me at meat tornado.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I would say we will hit the 10K mark leading up to our first game at Amy Park
[align=center][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/8558/61813452.jpg[/img][/align]
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

thats it stormfans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  support the team of the decade......    we will reign again..........
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)
CooperCronk
Monsoon
Monsoon

brewer wrote: if we keep winning, the sponsors will come
The NRL are making sure that the winning bit is going to be a lot harder for us next year.
However, I think if the supporter base keeps increasing, it will be very attractive for new sponsors to jump on board.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sponsorship deals tipped to come Storming back
NINA HENDY
April 30, 2010

DESPITE the biggest scandal to hit sport in recent memory, some experts predict the Melbourne Storm could plug the gaps in lost sponsorship within weeks.

Brands are expected to be undeterred from putting money into the National Rugby League in general, although marketers are likely to consider moving away from high-risk properties such as clubs and players and into broadcast sponsorship.

At the height of its success, the Storm, which attracts large television audiences, was receiving an estimated $5 million a year.

Melbourne Football Club chief commercial officer John Poulakakis predicted Storm would have replacement sponsors in four to six weeks.

"The corporate sector is astute enough to know the difference between a player doing the wrong thing and management doing the wrong thing, and once the club cleans up its act, it will be business as usual again," he said.

Trailer and campervan retailer Jayco is believed to have taken advantage of heavily discounted rates to step up from a third-tier platinum sponsor to a major sponsor.

Jayco marketing director Andrew Ryan refused to be drawn on the subject but said that his company wanted to support the club as it rebuilt.

"It's been a solid partnership over the last 12 years, and we plan to stand by the team while it rebuilds after this difficult period."

But the salary-cap scandal was too much for three other Storm sponsors, with sportswear brand Skins, ME Bank and Hostplus all pulling the plug. Suzuki and Gatorade continue to consider their position and may withdraw support.

Luke Jenkinson, director of sports sponsorship agency Nexus MG, said: "The lure is too strong for many brands. It's not necessary for sponsors to avoid football clubs, but they need to realise that they're taking a calculated risk."

Sport business consultant Martin Hirons said it could take a little longer than a month for Storm to recover the $2 million it is believed to have already lost in sponsorship.

It has taken years for the Canterbury Bulldogs, hit by gang-rape allegations and a salary-cap scandal this decade, to rebuild its coffers.

"[The Storm] scandal will impact on the value of the brand into next year,'' Mr Hirons said. ''It will take time to gain the trust of sponsors and investors. But a new management team and a reinvigorated focus will see the fans stand by the team, which means that brands will return in time."

Hugh Nairn, managing director of advertising agency BWM Melbourne, recommends brands consider minimising their risk.

"Sponsoring a club or individual player offers high risk, but high return. Brands could minimise the risk by signing up as a broadcast or event sponsor," Mr Nairn, who has forged sponsorship deals for adidas and Michelin Motorsport, said.

The NRL had been involved in various humiliating episodes but was still going strong.

Source: The Age
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

CooperCronk wrote:
The NRL are making sure that the winning bit is going to be a lot harder for us next year.
However, I think if the supporter base keeps increasing, it will be very attractive for new sponsors to jump on board.
Agree. Gallop does not want us to win the comp under any circumstances for at least the next 5 years. His worst nightmareis having to present the premiership to us. He will pull out all stops to make sure it doesn't happen.
2012 premiers. Legit.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

tugga wrote: Agree. Gallop does not want us to win the comp under any circumstances for at least the next 5 years. His worst nightmareis having to present the premiership to us. He will pull out all stops to make sure it doesn't happen.
I have some bad news for the head bean counter if he wants to avoid his "worst nightmare" he'd best gut our under 20's & the NSW Cup squads as well.OOPS - HANG ON - That would make his agenda a tad obvious wouldn't it  ;D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Crippstor
Squall
Squall

Just checked the figures and we have passed last years membership total. 852 to go until 10000
Crippstor - Lord of The Realm