Waldron wanted $100,000 to sell his story - then a book and movie deal

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
billythekidslater
Squall
Squall

This guy is a riot!!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 5858495486

The official at the centre of rugby league’s salary cap scandal, former Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron, asked for more than $100,000 to tell his story about the biggest rort the game has seen.

Waldron, dubbed the architect of a $1.7 million scam over the past five years, has emerged from hiding to speak for the first time about his involvement in the affair.

Waldron hired a Melbourne-based PR consultant at the weekend, former Fairfax editor Mike Smith, to conduct dealings with the media.

Seven network sources have confirmed that Smith, acting on behalf of Waldron, had been involved in discussions over “a six-figure sum” to appear on its current affairs program ‘Sunday Night’.

But Seven’s head of news and current affairs, Peter Meakin, immediately rejected the approach when he learned about the talks.

"There was a discussion that then took place where Waldron’s people acknowledged that it would be ‘a bad look’” one source said last night.

"Waldron initially agreed to participate in the program and the network sent a crew to Melbourne on Sunday. But Waldron pulled out at the last minute on the advice of his Queen’s Counsel.

It is believed he has decided to speak to another media outlet.

The man accused of being the architect of the $1.7 million scandal is expected to reveal details of who else had knowledge of the illegal player payments.

NRL boss David Gallop has been made aware of Waldron’s interview, which is expected to be released within hours.

Waldron has already told the The Daily Telegraph:

"There were people on the board who knew about everything that was going on. It's happening everywhere.

"What about [name withheld] leaving us and getting paid $200,000 by [sponsor withheld] outside the cap by the [team name withheld].

"This is a joke. All clubs do it. I can't say any more. “
PurpleBlooded
Squall
Squall

Wonder who he is talking about in the last two lines?
billythekidslater
Squall
Squall

FinchyBoy wrote: Wonder who he is talking about in the last two lines?
I assume Gallop won't want to know because the Storm are the only ones cheating apparently!!
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

FinchyBoy wrote: Wonder who he is talking about in the last two lines?
Has to be Folau or Crocker
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Orford maybe? There was a story around the time.. that 2 business men were giving Orford a "gift" of 100k each.
VIC
Squall
Squall

Waldron will need the money to help him get out of jail!!!
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

i was at the under 18s grand final last year in st marys and a few of the first grade players were there (cronk,johnson,turner,matt cross and finch) along with belly and WALDRON. and if i knew then what i know now he would not have gotten out of there in one piece. The DIRTY BA$TARD BETTER NOT GET A CENT OUT OF THIS.... he has caused enough damage for a dynasty that was created on alot of blood sweat and tears from coaches anderson and bellamy and all the guys that have pulled on a storm jersey over the last 10 years.

MAY YOU ROT IN HELL WALDRON!
WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! WE'LL BLOW THE OTHERS OFF THE GROUND, WE ARE THE STORM AND WERE NUMBER "1"
"99" "07" "09" :-)
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

I have a similar story storma01. When i went down to Melbourne and were waiting for the guys after the match we spoke to Brian and shook his hand and thanked him for what he was doing at the club....oh if only i had a time machine.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh man im really nervous with what this guy could come out with!
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
VIC
Squall
Squall

should be ok............i think he'll just try to justify his actions by suggesting that all clubs rort the cap. May be has inside knowledge of other clubs....................maybe other clubs shoule be feeling nervous!
madstorm
Squall
Squall

As long as he doesnt go out guns blazing and lie through his teeth to drag Storm down with him.  But then who would believe anything this scum bag  has to say????
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think he could attack the board and not the players and coaches.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Think he's talking about Folau?  He has a deal with Powerade, doesn't he?
You had me at meat tornado.
madstorm
Squall
Squall

Izzy was off contract wasnt he?
billythekidslater
Squall
Squall

I think Waldron is going to drag the Storm right down to the ground - he has nothing to lose.

I was a bit more confident of us surviving as of yesterday but now I'm not so sure. In a month's time I think it could be all over.