It feels like a club again

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I just want to say, that after last nights showing, The Club really does feel like a sporting club now, rather than a business operation. Going back to the Victory room after the game, and having the players come in and mingle with the supporters was iceing on the cake. Unlike when Waldron was running the club, there was no seperate entrances for players and fans, no cordoned off areas, no seperation that makes the players seem above the fans. We're taking our club back to the way rugby league clubs should be run, and this whole thing may just be a blessing in disguise.

On another note, the amount of people I knew from School, Uni etc who I ran into who dont even follow Storm but came to show their support was amazing. And Im sure alot of u would have the same the stories. Melbourne really was out in force to night.

We're here to stay so shove it NRL!
jjai
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Freshy wrote: I just want to say, that after last nights showing, The Club really does feel like a sporting club now, rather than a business operation. Going back to the Victory room after the game, and having the players come in and mingle with the supporters was iceing on the cake. Unlike when Waldron was running the club, there was no seperate entrances for players and fans, no cordoned off areas, no seperation that makes the players seem above the fans. We're taking our club back to the way rugby league clubs should be run, and this whole thing may just be a blessing in disguise.

On another note, the amount of people I knew from School, Uni etc who I ran into who dont even follow Storm but came to show their support was amazing. And Im sure alot of u would have the same the stories. Melbourne really was out in force to night.

We're here to stay so shove it NRL!
the nrl always wanted you`s to stay mate ,thats why they set yous up down.. but they expected you`s to follow the rules..
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You two are  both right.....

The NRL definitely did want a team in Melbourne when it allowed the club to be established.

Over time however...I believe that the committment to a Melbourne team and presence has wained slightly due to the whinging of the other 15 CEO'S.

Gallop and the NRL have had and still continue to have any REAL COMMITTMENT to the survival of a team in Melbourne (and i am NOT referring to the harshest penalties ever imposed).

the fact that the Club has been given ZERO assistance with the salary cap in an EMERGING MARKET (like the AFL HAS DONE FOR SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG), is a disgrace beyond all comprehension.

The NRL's committment to Melbourne and a National comp is one of lip service.....there is very little substance.

When guys like Mortimer and Gould (both NRL legends) can come out and say it is DISGRACE that the NRL has failed to properly support Melbourne Storm, then I think that the NRL, each NRL team and EVERY CEO has to take a good long hard look at themselves.
Last edited by Storm Spirit on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Thor19
Squall
Squall

What is all comes back to is News ltd. Without them we are dead in the water.

We need to start looking at private ownership - both by owners and I believe by the members and fans!
There is only one Melbourne Storm
And in Melbourne they will stay
.....forever.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Regarding the other 15 CEOs it has just been on Foxtel that they have had a telephone conference and have all agreed that the nil points to gain for the Storm is the right decision and are backing it.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Of course they do.  When you read Gallup's response to the question about no points for the season it was all about keeping it fair for the other clubs - those who had played us and those who hadn't - the playing field needed to be kept even to stop the CEO's of the other clubs complaining about unfair advantage.

Explain that logic to the Warriors who were up against the most determined team for the whole season.
We live to play, we play to win, We try and try, we won’t say die, we won’t give in
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BIG JIM wrote: Regarding the other 15 CEOs it has just been on Foxtel that they have had a telephone conference and have all agreed that the nil points to gain for the Storm is the right decision and are backing it.
That'll change in 2 or 3 weeks. Leagues clubs make decisions based on one thing and one thing only.

What is best for me ?
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BIG JIM wrote: Regarding the other 15 CEOs it has just been on Foxtel that they have had a telephone conference and have all agreed that the nil points to gain for the Storm is the right decision and are backing it.

I think Buzz Rothfield summed it up perfectly in his blog today where he said "I had to laugh yesterday when Gallop decided to have a phone hook-up with all the clubs to get support for his decision. It was basically a phone hook-up of with 15 others who cheat the system, although not to the same extent as Melbourne. Of course they were going to back Gallop because, with Melbourne out of the competition, they are a better chance of winning."

It would appear that every man except for Gallop knows it's rife. Ignorance is bliss so they say.......
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why couldn't the NRL have given us -44 points (52 points total up for grabs during the season with eight knocked off because of the games we'd won up to last week)?  That way, we wouldn't be able to get past zero even if we went undefeated all year but at least we'd be playing for something.
You had me at meat tornado.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

absentee wrote: Why couldn't the NRL have given us -44 points (52 points total up for grabs during the season with eight knocked off because of the games we'd won up to last week)?  That way, we wouldn't be able to get past zero even if we went undefeated all year but at least we'd be playing for something.
Because the key platform here is "DISMANTLE a successful team".Regardless of the innocence of the players in this they are NOT allowed to renegotiate a contract at a lower rate because the team was 'assembled illegally'. NOT sure how Billy,Cam,GI & Coops' came to us illegally ?
Even though none of them was wanted by other clubs,(until after they started shining at Storm),I couldn't really class them as refugees  ;-)

The bean counters screwed everyone over,so I have no problem with the stripping of the titles,(WELL - I DO ! but I can see the logic applied by those with a vested interest) but I fail to see why Not having a team of quality players willing to get paid less to stay as a unit is so abhorrent ? If those players are forced to leave next season because they cannot take pay cuts then the NRL itself is guilty of stacking the deck - IS IT NOT ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bourbon Rat wrote:
absentee wrote: Why couldn't the NRL have given us -44 points (52 points total up for grabs during the season with eight knocked off because of the games we'd won up to last week)?  That way, we wouldn't be able to get past zero even if we went undefeated all year but at least we'd be playing for something.
Because the key platform here is "DISMANTLE a successful team".Regardless of the innocence of the players in this they are NOT allowed to renegotiate a contract at a lower rate because the team was 'assembled illegally'. NOT sure how Billy,Cam,GI & Coops' came to us illegally ?
Even though none of them was wanted by other clubs,(until after they started shining at Storm),I couldn't really class them as refugees  ;-)

The bean counters screwed everyone over,so I have no problem with the stripping of the titles,(WELL - I DO ! but I can see the logic applied by those with a vested interest) but I fail to see why Not having a team of quality players willing to get paid less to stay as a unit is so abhorrent ? If those players are forced to leave next season because they cannot take pay cuts then the NRL itself is guilty of stacking the deck - IS IT NOT ?
I know that there are trolls who are going to argue that it is splitting hairs but I think there is a very fundamenal difference between the phrases "illegally assembled" and "illegally retained"
I think that is one phrase that needs to be stomped on. "Illegally assembled" implies that we went around buying quality players and knowingly and deliberately put together a team that was outside the cap. This was not however the case. The team was illegally retained in that the administrators have paid in excess of the cap to keep the players at Storm. Apart from one player that I can think of ( Michael Crocker) not one player that has come to us during Bellamy`s tenure has been an established player and can any of you remember what the reaction was from Nth of the border when we signed him? They laughed at us. Instead the vast majority, and all of our star players , have come to our club as unknowns and have found their fame as Storm players. They have been developed from unknowns to be players of the stature that they are now because of our coaching staff and hard work. The cheating element only becomes relevant off the field because of some damn office jockey.

estormboy
Squall
Squall

Call me shallow, vindictive,  self centred or whatever, but if the NRL cronies deny the Storm or the players from re-negotiating their contracts in order to keep everyone together, I for one will not have an issue and will be praying that the Fab Five give the NRL the two figure salute and sign big money deals securing their futures with either RU, AFL or ESL!

If they can't play for the Storm then I don't want them playing for anyone else!!! :o
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
Temi
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

estormboy wrote: Call me shallow, vindictive,  self centred or whatever, but if the NRL cronies deny the Storm or the players from re-negotiating their contracts in order to keep everyone together, I for one will not have an issue and will be praying that the Fab Five give the NRL the two figure salute and sign big money deals securing their futures with either RU, AFL or ESL!

If they can't play for the Storm then I don't want them playing for anyone else!!! :o
I'm inclined to agree!

We built this lima lima lima duck talent, we made something from nothing and now we are being denied the chance to retain the dynasty we have built from the ground up because of the narrow mindedness of Gallop and his Mickey Mouse administration!!!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

estormboy wrote: Call me shallow, vindictive,  self centred or whatever, but if the NRL cronies deny the Storm or the players from re-negotiating their contracts in order to keep everyone together, I for one will not have an issue and will be praying that the Fab Five give the NRL the two figure salute and sign big money deals securing their futures with either RU, AFL or ESL!

+1
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Woody wrote:
estormboy wrote: Call me shallow, vindictive,  self centred or whatever, but if the NRL cronies deny the Storm or the players from re-negotiating their contracts in order to keep everyone together, I for one will not have an issue and will be praying that the Fab Five give the NRL the two figure salute and sign big money deals securing their futures with either RU, AFL or ESL!

+1
+2