Melbourne Storm Folding? I don't think so.....

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
VIC
Squall
Squall

In the last few days much has been said about the future of the Storm and rugby league in Melbourne. However, is this really the case?

Let's look at logically:-

- News Limited owns 100% of the Storm.
- News Limited own 50% of the NRL.

With the ownership structure in mind, I am quite sure that the penalty that the NRL (David Gallop) imposed on the Melbourne Storm, would have first been discussed with John Hartigan (News Limited CEO) - and John Hartigan as 50% owner of the NRL (and as David Gallop's unltimate boss), he MUST HAVE agreed to the penalty that was to be imposed upon the Melbourne Storm. What this means is that financially, News Limited could weather any potential losses that the Storm could incur from this Brian Waldron scandal.

And again let's remember the reason why News limited is involved in Rugby League? News Limited is the world's largest media organisation raking in profits in the billions. They are not involved with rugby league to make money from the game itself, because as we know the running of sporting clubs in most football codes does not generate profits. Any potential losses from the Storm this year or next are immaterial and insignificant in the overall News Limited P&L. News Limited's involvement in the game goes back to the Super League debacle of the late 90's - and their interest in the game is all over television rights. They have continually said that they are committed to developing Storm and rugby league in Melbourne - as this obviously means more dollars with the pay TV arm of their business.

With this in mind, I cannot see the Storm folding.......what we have at the moment is too many ignorant cynics that would love to see our club go under, particulalry by many sporting commentators north of the border!