Just an idea...an alternative Melbourne plan to Gallops...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Scotty
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Just to start with.....I am a Manly fan and devastated by all this news. Just throwing out this idea for discussion. I think it's seems sucky that no points can be accrued while Melbourne have their playing roster available to the tune of 700k over for the 2010 season. So make sure that Melbourne do not play 700k of players each game.
So my idea is this, each week the Storm's opposition choose at start of the week, one marquee player and fringe player to sit out of the listed team. These two players can not be 'rested' two weeks in a row by the opposition. These two players will be supplanted by players from their 20s, and reserve sides for that week.
For example, accepting Storms marquee players are Inglis, Smith, SLater, and Cronk. This week, the warriors choose Smith, and Tolman to sit out. Melbourne win, get two points, they lose, then Warrs get the two. Following week, Cowboys want to select Cam Smith, but can't, so they select Slater and Finch, and so on. This way the Storm players still represent their club, there is something to play for, and the other clubs can't whinge or complain that they have 700k better roster available each week, if they make it to the finals. I would also make it a rule they can't select longside players, so for example take out Cronk AND Finch at same time. Make sure this choice is made start of week so the Storm have time to adapt to new structures etc, also it isn't dependant on injuries, so if GI is injured, Slater, Cronk, or Smith can still miss out.

Does this make enough sense?
Last edited by Scotty on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

funnily enough Scotty...it makes a whole lot more sense than the heap of frogshit that Gallop and his cronies have dreamed up for 2010.

Thanks for your constructive input ! Won't happen, but it's nice to see some smart, logical, perceptive and friendly oppo supporters out there.

You must be a REAL fan of League .
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Good one Scotty - ya want a job heading the NRL
Scotty
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Storm Spirit wrote:
funnily enough Scotty...it makes a whole lot more sense than the heap of frogshit that Gallop and his cronies have dreamed up for 2010.

Thanks for your constructive input ! Won't happen, but it's nice to see some smart, logical, perceptive and friendly oppo supporters out there.

You must be a REAL fan of League .
I am a REAL fan of League. Although I don't like the Storm, I can still appreciate what they brought to the table in this competition. I am one of the Manly Warringah Travelling Supportahs, and love watching league, wherever it is. I was devastated by this news, and feel that as a fan I am missing out somehow if the Storm are left with little to play for, as it may seem. They should be punished, and its nice to see most of the Storm supporters don't deny that, but what's arguable is the measure of the punishment. Just felt this may give some hope to the masses, and to the club itself as it works to dig itself out of this mess.
your kettle is black
Squall
Squall

your kettle is black wrote: And stripping of points is an issue here as well given the Storm have to play a season of dead rubbers!

Perhaps an alternative would be to strip existing points, reveal which players received the extra
$700 000 over the salary cap, then have the Storm take the terrible move of bringing their squad under the cap by shedding players from the squad each week to the value of $700 000 and replace them with state cup players - placing them on an equal footing with other clubs who I would hope have respected the cap (rep players excluded during rep duty)?

I know it seems harsh, but at least the Storm players and fans would be playing for SOMETHING NOW.

Thoughts?

index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=56&topic=7299.15

I had a similar idea in another thread that got lost further down!

Really like this alternative idea as well! Punishment and incentive all at once.
Scotty
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

your kettle is black wrote:
your kettle is black wrote: And stripping of points is an issue here as well given the Storm have to play a season of dead rubbers!

Perhaps an alternative would be to strip existing points, reveal which players received the extra
$700 000 over the salary cap, then have the Storm take the terrible move of bringing their squad under the cap by shedding players from the squad each week to the value of $700 000 and replace them with state cup players - placing them on an equal footing with other clubs who I would hope have respected the cap (rep players excluded during rep duty)?

I know it seems harsh, but at least the Storm players and fans would be playing for SOMETHING NOW.

Thoughts?

index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=56&topic=7299.15

I had a similar idea in another thread that got lost further down!

Really like this alternative idea as well! Punishment and incentive all at once.
Gus, said during Doggies telecast, just make Melbourne get rid of a few players until they are under the cap, and then everything will be fine, let them play. Who do you sack? Or who gets those players or are they meant to twiddle their thumbs? I think my idea is a almost viable option, and even lets the coaches have input on who Melbourne plays as further punishment, but at least they can accrue points.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Great idea. Why aren't you David Gallop?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

TC wrote: Great idea. Why aren't you David Gallop?
I'm guessing it's cos Scotty is a lot smarter and seems like a nice person  ;D
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
VIC
Squall
Squall

David Gallop is nothing but a lima lima lima duck piece of shit who deserves to die!

1. Even though it's hard to accept the stripping of two premierships, and three minor-premierships because of the disgraceful actions of that stupid *lima lima lima duck* - Waldron, I can see the justification for it.....................but not letting the Storm accrue any points in 2010 is just insane - I have no words to desrcibe my anger! If players are playing for nothing, why would fans turn up? Why would sponsors contine sponsorships this year? All this in the year of the new Melbourne stadium.......................a massive financial disaster.......................etc etc

Wouldn't it have made more sense to just deduct their existing 8 points and reduce the salaries of players down to $4.1 millionalong with the striping of pasr premierships??

This treatment would have ensured that that rugby league would have remained financially viable in Victoria along with stakeholders during 2010!!!

But under the current scenario 2010 is dead as far as the Storm and RL goes in Victoria!

So thanks David Gallop................you've done lima lima lima duck all for Melbourne. 10+ years in the comp and you've never given us any extra funds to promote the game in Victoria, nor have you gone through any great efforts to pursue the issue of Channel 9 screening RL games into Victoria. As you know this would have done wonders to really lift the profile and recognition of the game! And also, as an emerging market, why has the Storm not received a higher salary cap to work with in the same manner that AFL does with its emeging markets?

David Gallop and Brian Waldron - may you both rot in hell for what you both have done to destroy the Storm!!!!!!
Scotty
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

VIC wrote: David Gallop is nothing but a *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!*in piece of shit who deserves to die!

1. Even though it's hard to accept the stripping of two premierships, and three minor-premierships because of the disgraceful actions of that stupid *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!* - Waldron, I can see the justification for it.....................but not letting the Storm accrue any points in 2010 is just insane - I have no words to desrcibe my anger! If players are playing for nothing, why would fans turn up? Why would sponsors contine sponsorships this year? All this in the year of the new Melbourne stadium.......................a massive financial disaster.......................etc etc

Wouldn't it have made more sense to just deduct their existing 8 points and reduce the salaries of players down to $4.1 millionalong with the striping of pasr premierships??
This treatment would have ensured that that rugby league would have remained financially viable in Victoria along with stakeholders during 2010!!!

But under the current scenario 2010 is dead as far as the Storm and RL goes in Victoria!

So thanks David Gallop................you've done *LIMA LIMA LIMA DUCK!* all for Melbourne. 10+ years in the comp and you've never given us any extra funds to promote the game in Victoria, nor have you gone through any great efforts to pursue the issue of Channel 9 screening RL games into Victoria. As you know this would have done wonders to really lift the profile and recognition of the game! And also, as an emerging market, why has the Storm not received a higher salary cap to work with in the same manner that AFL does with its emeging markets?

David Gallop and Brian Waldron - may you both rot in hell for what you both have done to destroy the Storm!!!!!!
Vic,
I can't profess to know their minds on this, but I think due to the Bulldogs rort in 2002 which saw them stripped of points, but they kept their same team, but on lower wages, was a slap in the face of the other teams. They saw them go from last to only one step away from the Grand Final with a supposedly illegal team. This is why I don't think just having the same team on lower wages will appease the other clubs, as they won't be happy that a illegally created team gets to stay in the comp as they are.

Scotty
VIC
Squall
Squall

Sure, but the decision handed back in  02 to the Bulldogs wasn't the right decision either, and besides the Storm have already been hammered with the loss of two premierships and three minor premierships - and now the NRL are going to the lenghts of destroying the viability of the Storm in  Melbourne.

2010 was the year of the new stadium...there were BIG plans in place. This destroys the financial viability of the Storm in Melbourne........and further to this the relationship of the Storm to Melbourne is still very green when compared to the Bulldogs' relationship to that of Western Sydney. The Bulldogs have existed for 60+ years and are well established. The Storm are still babies - still trying to gather support and get a more solid base. My point here is that was easier for the Bulldogs to recover than what it will be for the Storm - hence, why the NRL's  future punishment doesn't fit the crime caused by an AFL blow in...
Scotty
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

VIC wrote: Sure, but the decision handed back in  02 to the Bulldogs wasn't the right decision either, and besides the Storm have already been hammered with the loss of two premierships and three minor premierships - and now the NRL are going to the lenghts of destroying the viability of the Storm in  Melbourne.

2010 was the year of the new stadium...there were BIG plans in place. This destroys the financial viability of the Storm in Melbourne........and further to this the relationship of the Storm to Melbourne is still very green when compared to the Bulldogs' relationship to that of Western Sydney. The Bulldogs have existed for 60+ years and are well established. The Storm are still babies - still trying to gather support and get a more solid base. My point here is that was easier for the Bulldogs to recover than what it will be for the Storm - hence, why the NRL's  future punishment doesn't fit the crime caused by an AFL blow in...

Vic,

I certainly wouldn't try and debate the fairness of the decision as that will always be weighted towards our independant views. All I can say is that all the clubs were made fully aware of the NRL's stance if these things happened again, and that they would be escalated if the point wasn't getting across. A cynical view would be that the NRL was just looking for a chance to remove the STorm and give up any foothold they might have made in AFL-dominated city, or a more realistic view would be, if ANY club is found to be systematically cheating all the other clubs, fans, players, and sponsors, then this is how we will deal with them in the future. As a fan of league, I am slanted towards hoping that they would have treated any club the same.

As I am a fan of league and want to see Melbourne continue to exist, is why I offered up this sort of compromise. No one in the higher echelons will ever care to read it, or give it any credence, but at least I put it out there.

Scotty