2010 'After Party' Membership an added cost

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Ok, so to purchase the basic membership with game entry included for one adult will be $180.  Then to have access to the 'After party' (what us oldies still call the Social Club) is the added cost of $90.  Total $270.
Family (what's with the two adults & one child or one adult & two children  :?) will cost $348 (basic) but if you want to take the kids to see 'some' players or even catch up with friends after the game it's an extra $270. Total $618.  Plus, if you have more than two adults and one child in your family it's an extra $28 for each child.

Add to that the capacity for the After Party is a mere 500 people and I'm wondering if the club is heading down the AFL track where they really don't want general club members around.  

I'd really like to know peoples thoughts on this topic.  I'm in two minds because one of the best things about Storm home games was heading to the social club to catch up with fellow members and visitors.  I understand the capacity issue may well be out of the clubs control but there is a dining room with up to a 1000 person capacity.

Terribly confused and somewhat annoyed about such an extreme added cost (especially when it looks like even children will be charged the extra $90 each).
Last edited by Tigger on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can understand those that have being going to the After party for years will be put out but I dont see a one-off payment of $90 too much as long as it improves the event. And considering they have acutally taken the freebie off premium members I dont see how they're trying to make it exclusive.

Like you said, size seems to be the biggest issue, and looking at it from a business point of view this will help the club budget better knowing with more certainty how many will be attending.

Again I can see why people will be miffed but understand why they have done it.
minichick
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I'm inclined to agree with you Tigger, the average member is being priced out of certain aspects of the club and I don't like it. I've been concerned for a while that the club was heading down the AFL path and this does nothing to change my mind.

If you are a member of the club, be that general or premium - the social club should be included, IMO. Do they want us to feel part of the place/club or not?

And slightly off topic - are you serious about the family membership numbers? That's ridiculous! 1 kid? Unbelievable.....
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

minichick wrote: And slightly off topic - are you serious about the family membership numbers? That's ridiculous! 1 kid? Unbelievable.....
Not off topic at all minichick, it's part of why I'm so angry - Family membership for Storm amounts to Two Adults and One child or One Adult and Two Children  :x   

I can't find any club (including AFL clubs & Victory) who have that class of 'family' membership. 
Last edited by Tigger on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've made my thoughts be known in the other thread and will add them here. I totally agree Tigger, i see it as nothing more than to raise extra revenue. Like many our mob have been general members since day dot and we stopped going when the started charging GM to get in the SC a few years ago. While we were a bit pissed at the start they started charging after we were so used to getting in for free for years we could understand why they did it and got over it.

That said i don't think there's any good reason for them to charge the extra $90 on top of the membership cost. If they have to do it then i reckon $40 to $50 tops would've been more than sufficient. As much as we loved being GM we all decided to upgrade in the new stadium and just assumed the SC would be part of the package but i guess not.
minichick
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

That's just bollocks! Family anythings have always been 4 people - some leeway on the adult kid ratio though, have seen 1 adult/3 kids, 2 + 2 etc. I think you've got every right to be peeved. I am also cranky for you!
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

The thing that really makes me madder is the fact that for the past few years the SC has really only been a place to catch up with friends who don't sit together.  Seeing the players up close used to be a great part of the SC for the kids to enjoy but now the boys are herded in the back way and positioned behind barriers so they're not 'bothered' by the general public.  Kids have no opportunity to talk to their heroes and get their jersey's signed or have photo's taken much at all.  That used to be a major selling point for membership. Plus, most players seemed to enjoy the 'regular' chat. 

Whilst I understand that players sometimes don't really want to stop and chat to people it's seriously taking away the family atmosphere from our once famous FAMILY club!  :(
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So with all these price increases and changes to memberships what are the chances now of breaking the 10,000 Members barrier.I think they have made it a harder task.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

BIG JIM wrote: So with all these price increases and changes to memberships what are the chances now of breaking the 10,000 Members barrier.I think they have made it a harder task.
Totally agree with you.  Makes you wonder what their thinking is.......
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Totally agree about getting 10,000 members.  It will not happen with this membership package.  Ringing around fellow Storm supports this morning, two are no longer going to be members.  Maybe we should call this package "Brian Folley" becasue it is not good.
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tigger wrote:
BIG JIM wrote: So with all these price increases and changes to memberships what are the chances now of breaking the 10,000 Members barrier.I think they have made it a harder task.
Totally agree with you.  Makes you wonder what their thinking is.......
Packages are very comparable or better then the most of the NRL, I reckon potential new members would find them very attractive e.g the new Strom neighbourhood membership package looks very good to me with Players to exclusively visit the area and the family packages on a few types look very good, particularly those with 3-5 kids.

The costs are quite good considering we are moving into a state-of-the-art stadium, really what did people expect.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't have an issue with the price rises, it was always going to happen and i was always going to upgrade. My only gripe is having to pay the extra 90 bucks on top of the $430 of the membership when it really should be inclusive of that price IMO.
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

hey guys...my broadband is down and cant load the storm page it takes forever....what is the interstate package like?
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Super Cronk wrote: hey guys...my broadband is down and cant load the storm page it takes forever....what is the interstate package like?
If you’re a proud Storm fan that lives interstate or can’t get to the games, then a Purple Patron membership is the one for you. You’ll be able to keep up with all the Storm news and feel part of the Team.

Member Benefits

2010 Membership card, lanyard and wallet.
2010 Information booklet including match fixture.
2010 Melbourne Storm fixture magnet.
2010 Melbourne Storm bumper sticker.
2010 Melbourne Storm Membership pin.
Members only weekly email
Club Media Releases sent to your email inbox
Exclusive access to Members only area on website
Opportunity to purchase 2010 Members only Supporter Cap for only $20.
10% discount on all Storm merchandise purchased online.

Purple Patron Membership Pricing

One Price For All $80.00

or If you can attend up to 5 games

Storm Country Membership

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you live 100kms or more from the Melbourne CBD, love the Storm but can’t get to every game? Become a Storm Country Member and you’ll have the flexibility to attend any five home games (of your choice) during the 2010 Season.

Member Benefits (in addition to the standard benefits)

General Admission access to 5 home games with choice of undercover or open air seating.
Priority access to purchase NRL Finals and Grand Final tickets when Melbourne Storm participates.
Opportunity to purchase 2010 Members only Supporter Cap for only $20.
FREE membership to "STORM REWARDS".
Click here to view New Stadium Seating Plan including photographic views of seating options.

Storm Country Membership Pricing

Adult $95.00
Junior * $32.00
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

Thanks Noa.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]